This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

How to learn Thoth Tarot images

Whether you are a beginner or an old hand at Tarot, you never stop learning. This is where Seekers & Sages alike come together to ask questions and share experience.
Forum rules
FORUM DESCRIPTION: For beginners and experienced readers alike.

One of the beautiful things about the tarot is that you never stop learning and discovering new and fascinating things.

This is the place to come to share tips and ideas for learning the craft of tarot. Approaching it from many angles and points of view broadens everyone's appreciation and understanding and aids in developing your technique.

Please remember: ALL QUESTIONS ARE WELCOME! ALL RESPONSES APPRECIATED.
Myperception
Sage

How to learn Thoth Tarot images

Post by Myperception »

I am an Asian, my culture and beliefs are Chinese Thai. I just recently get myself a Thoth Tarot Deck, did a few readings for myself, also went through books and internet interpretations for the cards meaning, but I still don't feel connected to it.

Maybe the images are too artistry or I don't really get what the images are trying to tell me. Most of the time I can't even notice any points from the images. Not sure is it because of my culture background influences that makes me feel so unfamiliar with this deck?

Can any Thoth deck user tell me how to read the images or how to learn and understand this deck?
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Re: How to learn Thoth Tarot images

Post by Joan Marie »

Myperception wrote: 19 Aug 2019, 05:51 Can any Thoth deck user tell me how to read the images or how to learn and understand this deck?
There's a question for the ages!

I am from "the western world" and I had difficulty connecting to the images in the Thoth Tarot also at first.

When I got my Thoth deck I thought the logical thing was to get Crowley's Book of Thoth.

People here politely told me, "good luck with that!" Of course it is a great book, a great work, but it's really not where you want to start.

Charlie Brown recommended Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot by Lon Milo DuQuette.
That book opened up the deck to me aesthetically, and symbolically and even spiritually.

I don't know if that is the book for you, but it was for me, to get me over a certain "hump" with Thoth Tarot.

And I think that's what it takes, something to kind of "educate" you on what you are seeing in order to appreciate it, to see the depth, and also the intelligent whimsy of it.

I can also say it's worth the effort. Learning to understand and appreciate the Thoth deck, you will increase your understanding and appreciation for the Tarot itself.

It's a great journey that will change you.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Myperception
Sage

Post by Myperception »

Now I know why i am lost, i am reading the same book as yours. Thanks for the tips, I will search for the book recommended by Charlie Brown.

To be honest, Thoth is never my kind of deck, and Joan, you may be suprise that actually you were the one brought my attention into this deck. You had done twice group readings for me in February & April, Thoth deck was the one that you used.

I still can recall both 3 cards spread, 1st row for Feb. While 2nd row for Apr.
20190819_163723-01_compress70.jpg

The images impact me, I never can imagine that Tarot images can be painted in such a way, so much in motions and universe feel. I get very curious and always follow the readings in Thoth group.

Until I decide to get myself a Thoth deck, but i fail to understand that book :lol: :lol:

Alright. Now, I am going to try the other book, and I will not give up learning this deck.

Thanks Joan !
Junipera
Seer

Post by Junipera »

There can definitely be an issue with culture and divination systems!

I have never identified with the major cards in tarot the same as I have the minor cards and the Norse runes. There was a time when I just used playing cards for the minors and used Runes as my majors.
Currently using The Enchanted Tarot 25th Anniversary Edition.
AstralPasta
Sage

Post by AstralPasta »

I didn't care for the deck until I trimmed it to be frank. The borders do a disservice. Though if you trim it, it's probably better to trim the large sized one.

Here's a video of how they look without borders. It's a 4 minute video.

On my phone mainly so pardon the typos! Also if I seem more lucid than average, I'm probably typing on a PC. Hah!
BlueStar
Sage

Post by BlueStar »

AstralPasta wrote: 13 Oct 2019, 07:29 I didn't care for the deck until I trimmed it to be frank. The borders do a disservice. Though if you trim it, it's probably better to trim the large sized one.
Thanks for posting the video. I'm not usually bothered about borders, but I do think the deck looks great without them. Might give it a try myself some time:)

Return to “Learning Your Craft”