This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

New Book by Caitlin Matthews

Discussions on TdM focused books.
BreathingSince72
Sage

New Book by Caitlin Matthews

Post by BreathingSince72 »

Greetings Tarot Tribe,

I popped into Barnes and Noble this evening and found this little gem. Caitlin shared on another site that it should be out by September so please imagine my delight when I walked in for no particular reason and this item was the first thing I saw. So far I am only into the Preface but she shares an experience with which I am sure we are all familiar. I will let you find out for yourselves.

Have a wonderful evening!

Victoria
0F09BAAA-3784-4E38-B98C-6FAA36218879.jpeg
The opposite of truth is falsehood but the opposite of one profound truth may well be another profound truth.
CharlotteK
Sage

Re: New Book by Caitlin Matthews

Post by CharlotteK »

Interesting, thanks! I'm throwing myself into TdM studies now but also have two new historical decks - Soprafino and Vachetta - that I have no idea how to read so I like that she calls this reading with historical decks and hope it can help.
BreathingSince72
Sage

Hi CharlotteK,

I’ve been throwing myself into TdM studies as well. I recently received the Il Meneghello Della Rocca (Soprafino). The deck is stunning! I have seen one reader comment hat the meanings are slightly different between the Soprafino and the TdM and while I do see some variation of the facial expressions, I don’t know that they would be read all that differently.
7F7AC4FB-3446-4E2D-B168-F9CC7106E06C.jpeg
It is difficult to express the wild enthusiasm I now have for these old decks. Even my children have commented it. I was pretty enthusiastic about modern tarot but they say (and I feel) that my enthusiasm is on an entirely new level. ;) Although i’ve A closet full of decks, I have reserve these lovely boxes for my historical decks...so far, I own four historical deck.
0185F58A-BAAD-44F8-BEFC-F1B249421630.jpeg
I think the book will be helpful to anyone who elects to read it. She also has a chapter devoted to pips. While I haven’t yet reached the chapter, I have peeked, and it looks great!

Victoria
The opposite of truth is falsehood but the opposite of one profound truth may well be another profound truth.
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

CharlotteK wrote: 21 Jul 2018, 11:27 Interesting, thanks! I'm throwing myself into TdM studies now but also have two new historical decks - Soprafino and Vachetta - that I have no idea how to read so I like that she calls this reading with historical decks and hope it can help.
You can read the Soprafino just like a regular Marseille. Personally, I've found that the Soprafino works best when I don't plan on doing a lot of regarding/facing/figure interaction in the reading. The uniformity of the basic Marseille makes it superior for that kind of thing. The Soprafino is my go-to when I'm planning on doing major-minor pairs.
I believe in Crystal Light.
stronglove
Sage

Post by stronglove »

BreathingSince72 wrote: 21 Jul 2018, 04:35 Greetings Tarot Tribe,

I popped into Barnes and Noble this evening and found this little gem. Caitlin shared on another site that it should be out by September so please imagine my delight when I walked in for no particular reason and this item was the first thing I saw. So far I am only into the Preface but she shares an experience with which I am sure we are all familiar. I will let you find out for yourselves.

Victoria
thanks victoria, i will love to read this one! you are so lucky to have it, i searched everywhere but there is nowhere i can order it online before september 28..... and since i live in the netherlands i have no barnes and noble nearby..... :cry: :cry: :cry:
from fragility to humility....maybe white lives should matter a little less
stronglove
Sage

Post by stronglove »

BreathingSince72 wrote: 21 Jul 2018, 14:38 It is difficult to express the wild enthusiasm I now have for these old decks. Even my children have commented it. I was pretty enthusiastic about modern tarot but they say (and I feel) that my enthusiasm is on an entirely new level. ;)

Victoria
same here, victoria! i have a lot of reproductions of ancient decks, i love it when they have their own system that is different from TdM, and i would love to explore them further. i have some of giordano berti’s decks, like the vergnano, perrin, oriental and mitelli, i love the minchiates with all their extra cards (i have two of them), the tarot of paris, and sullivan hisman’s budapest and rosenwald..... and of course i have some meneghello’s as well.
my last acquisition was the vandenborre bacchus or flemish tarot with the spanish captain as the high priestess and bacchus as the pope.....
wouldn’t it be great to read caitlin’s book together, then read with our different decks and share our experiences?
BreathingSince72
Sage

stronglove wrote: 22 Jul 2018, 14:58
same here, victoria! i have a lot of reproductions of ancient decks, i love it when they have their own system that is different from TdM, and i would love to explore them further. i have some of giordano berti’s decks, like the vergnano, perrin, oriental and mitelli, i love the minchiates with all their extra cards (i have two of them), the tarot of paris, and sullivan hisman’s budapest and rosenwald..... and of course i have some meneghello’s as well.
my last acquisition was the vandenborre bacchus or flemish tarot with the spanish captain as the high priestess and bacchus as the pope.....
wouldn’t it be great to read caitlin’s book together, then read with our different decks and share our experiences?
Stronglove, yes! I think studying the book together and applying it to our great variety of decks would be so fun. And she does say in her book that the teachings within will help one to read any ancient Tarot. My ancient deck collection is still small. I have the Pierre Madenié of 1709 Lyon by Yves Reynard, the Dodal by Flornoy, The Il Meneghello Della Rocca (Soprafino) and the CBD TDM. The Basacon is next on my list and then the Bacchus or the Noblet.

When I was small I was very eager to be in the world. I experienced everything, was fully present. I actually remember bits of my first and second birthday. I remember being given little Lulu color form dolls by my aunt as I can remember the smell of the plastic and the texture and feel of the red clothes for the doll. There are no pictures of me getting this gift.

As I began to get older things began to happen that motivated me to disengage. I encountered experiences that made it too painful to be that present. It has taken a while to get real present again. I’ve used music. I’ve used art. And all if a sudden, I’m on a website reading about this tarot the I’ve heard of before. So I finally buy one. And it’s the weirdest thing but I don’t forget things anymore, and I am really paying attention...to peoples faces...to my surroundings...like really engaging again. Who can say why these things happen? I just have to know that the energy that enlivens and breathes through all things, breathes through me and wants me present. So it all works out. ;)

Victoria
stronglove
Sage

Post by stronglove »

Ha! I managed to get the book through book depository! it came yesterday and i love it! of course now i want to buy all the decks she is using in the book...... (fortunately i do already have some of them and unfortunately my wallet is going to stay empty for a long time :cry: :cry: :cry: )
so how about a reading group for this book? anybody else interested?
7B57DB6E-7473-4B5B-96E0-7C23151D3323.jpeg
6882D983-63E2-48A3-A217-BC5A6F9F34FB.jpeg
44B3E3D7-7300-4C65-A9EF-96B639EC17C5.jpeg
CharlotteK
Sage

Post by CharlotteK »

Yes I'm interested but I need to get hold of the book first!
BreathingSince72
Sage

Definitely interested!
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

Thanks for whetting my appetite with those pics. I ordered mine on Book Depository but it usually takes 2 or 3 weeks for anything from them to reach me out here.

Do I remember that you have the English translation of the Flornoy book? Could you maybe also post three pages or so so I could get a feel for it? Maybe either on Le Pendu or Judgement? I feel like I don't really need a $50 book that's another semi-esoteric collection of majors essays, but I get the feeling that it won't be available for very long, so this is likely the only chance to get it.
stronglove
Sage

Post by stronglove »

Charlie Brown wrote: 29 Jul 2018, 15:59 Thanks for whetting my appetite with those pics. I ordered mine on Book Depository but it usually takes 2 or 3 weeks for anything from them to reach me out here.

Do I remember that you have the English translation of the Flornoy book? Could you maybe also post three pages or so so I could get a feel for it? Maybe either on Le Pendu or Judgement? I feel like I don't really need a $50 book that's another semi-esoteric collection of majors essays, but I get the feeling that it won't be available for very long, so this is likely the only chance to get it.
if i had, i would, but alas.... what is the flornoy book and who wrote it?
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

Victoria

Oh... for some reason I thought that Victoria was the one who posted the pictures. I quoted her here so she'll see. The Flornoy book is by Flornoy the deck restorer (recently deceased) who puts out the Flornoy Noblet and Flornoy Dodal. He has a book out that has recently been translated into English. What I'm gathering is that it's a fine book in and of itself, but it's basically esoteric tarot, which is almost all of what we get in the US, and not the European Cartomantic stuff like in Caitlin Matthews. It's an expensive book with the shipping from Europe, so I doubt it's worth it considering how much good esoteric work is already available in English. BUT...Flornoy does know TdM, so if it really is something different and special I don't want to miss it.
stronglove
Sage

Post by stronglove »

i found it on this website
http://tarot-history.com/boutique/index.php
it is called: le pélerinage des bateleurs/ seeing the world: tarot signposts on the path to perception
you can find a bit of its contents/ his ideas here
http://tarot-history.com/Symbolism/index.html
and i think you are right, it is not about (french) cartomancy/ reading the cards but a kind of esoteric/philosophical view on the majors.
i personally prefer ‘meditations on the tarot’ for that, don’t need/ want another one.....
the book has 332 pages though, so it might have more interesting information than can be gleaned from these webpages.....
BreathingSince72
Sage

@stronglove, I currently await this book with great anticipation. :)
stronglove
Sage

Post by stronglove »

BreathingSince72 wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 01:13 @stronglove, I currently await this book with great anticipation. :)
you mean the flornoy book? please let us know what it is like, and maybe post some pages, like charliebrown suggested.
i am still not sure i don’t need it..... :P :P :P
BreathingSince72
Sage

Okay okay okay....I received the Flornoy book and the Noblet today! Enclosed was a postcard style sample card of the Sun from the Jacques Vieville deck. My eldest looked at it and said, “Why is the Sun angry?’ Inside the book itself was the Temperance card from the Noblet deck. The Noblet had all of its cards within the box so this card felt like a personal reading from Roxanne Flornoy. I nearly lost my sh*#. Translation, I was nearly elevated to tears. Because, darn, this was meaningful and relevant.

Here is a teaser...
Attachments
image.jpg
BreathingSince72
Sage

Charlie Brown wrote: 29 Jul 2018, 18:43

Victoria

Oh... for some reason I thought that Victoria was the one who posted the pictures. I quoted her here so she'll see. The Flornoy book is by Flornoy the deck restorer (recently deceased) who puts out the Flornoy Noblet and Flornoy Dodal. He has a book out that has recently been translated into English. What I'm gathering is that it's a fine book in and of itself, but it's basically esoteric tarot, which is almost all of what we get in the US, and not the European Cartomantic stuff like in Caitlin Matthews. It's an expensive book with the shipping from Europe, so I doubt it's worth it considering how much good esoteric work is already available in English. BUT...Flornoy does know TdM, so if it really is something different and special I don't want to miss it.
Charliebrown, this may indeed be something pretty special. As an artist, who I believe used actual pear blacks and hand stenciled paint to create his cards, he truly has a different take on these cards. I will share more as I learn more. My items arrived within two weeks and the cost for shipping and product was in euros and much less costly than if I had ordered from the UK.
BreathingSince72
Sage

Also, I sit here scratching my head and wondering how this group will ever manage to help one another to NOT kill our budgets buying books and decks. I just received the Noblet and a book by Jean-Claude Flornoy...ly vey. I’m also at the top of a waitlist to buy the Vandenborre Bacchus by Pablo Robledo, an item I am told is as rare as El Pape’s poop. I don’t even know if I like that deck...lol!
BreathingSince72
Sage

Charlie Brown wrote: 29 Jul 2018, 15:59 Thanks for whetting my appetite with those pics. I ordered mine on Book Depository but it usually takes 2 or 3 weeks for anything from them to reach me out here.

Charliebrown, I am so sorry. I did not see this until now. Which card would you like me to photograph the pages for? Le Pendu (that tried to auto correct to Le pendulum...how neat since the character on the card is basically a pendulum) or judgment?
stronglove
Sage

Post by stronglove »

BreathingSince72 wrote: 04 Aug 2018, 08:25 Also, I sit here scratching my head and wondering how this group will ever manage to help one another to NOT kill our budgets buying books and decks. I just received the Noblet and a book by Jean-Claude Flornoy...ly vey. I’m also at the top of a waitlist to buy the Vandenborre Bacchus by Pablo Robledo, an item I am told is as rare as El Pape’s poop. I don’t even know if I like that deck...lol!
oh, wow, where are you going to buy that one? i’m sure you are going to love it! i got mine a couple of weeks ago and it is awesome. i got it from game if hope lenormand, it even has an extra hanged man, so i got one upside down, as if he is going to step out of tha card, and one in the traditional position....
here are some of my favorite cards. i love the hanged man’s tiny hands and all the faces and eyes on the devil.

125239A8-824F-4557-B686-A18E86D6B1EC.jpeg
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

BreathingSince72 wrote: 04 Aug 2018, 09:23

Charliebrown, I am so sorry. I did not see this until now. Which card would you like me to photograph the pages for? Le Pendu (that tried to auto correct to Le pendulum...how neat since the character on the card is basically a pendulum) or judgment?
Well, I'd be grateful for anything, but I HAVE been thinking about The Sun over the past few days. Maybe that.
BreathingSince72
Sage

Charliebrown, I am sending you a private message now
CharlotteK
Sage

Post by CharlotteK »

I have pre-ordered the book from Amazon as that was the cheapest deal but it's still saying September release. I can wait :)
BreathingSince72
Sage

stronglove wrote: 04 Aug 2018, 15:57 oh, wow, where are you going to buy that one? i’m sure you are going to love it! i got mine a couple of weeks ago and it is awesome. i got it from game if hope lenormand, it even has an extra hanged man, so i got one upside down, as if he is going to step out of tha card, and one in the traditional position....
here are some of my favorite cards. i love the hanged man’s tiny hands and all the faces and eyes on the devil.

125239A8-824F-4557-B686-A18E86D6B1EC.jpeg
Hi stronglove! To answer your question I received my Vandenborre Bacchus by Pablo Robledo last week from collectarot.com. I pushed my luck when I saw that Pablo was a member of one of my social groups and asked if there might be some obscure shop in some corner of the world that might be carrying some copy of Le papes poop. He referred me to Bob at CollecTarot & Books.

My set only came with one LePendu...the upside down up one. These are some, but not all, of my faves.
A987BB6F-956B-4C68-9454-5E1E47A4FCC7.jpeg
A2945427-BCDA-4E31-AD23-D489B41363EC.jpeg
I like the hand numbered card because it makes me feel like I’m part of something special. Bacchus as the pope makes me laugh...that is a religious representative of an entirely different virtue set! Naked and gurgling wine...well maybe depending on the particular pontiff, not so different. A lot of these characters remind me of Punch and Judy dolls. The differences in the majors in this deck are described here: https://tarot-heritage.com/2015/10/22/t ... orre-deck/. The Devil looks so crazy in this deck, almost like he is in perpetual motion going in many directions. All the faces on him! Constantly speaking? Seeing? Hearing? Truly this card could have 100 meanings. This deck will be talking to me for a while.

Victoria

Return to “BOOKS about the Tarot de Marseilles”