This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

The Tarot: Why, How, and How Far? By Tchalaï Unger

Discussions on TdM focused books.
Desmond
Seer

The Tarot: Why, How, and How Far? By Tchalaï Unger

Post by Desmond »

4C007D0A-BFFA-4EF9-A502-95D130B187E5.jpeg

Tchalaï Unger (1934-2005) was an exceptional French polymath of Hungarian Gypsy ancestry who worked as an entertainment journalist and Eriksonian-Transpersonal therapist. She is reported to have been a student of Jacques Lacan and mentor to Alejandro Jodorowsky. She is most well known within the Tarot community as the creator of Le Véritable Tarot Tzigane (The Authentic Gypsy Tarot) and Le Tarot des Chamanes (The Tarot of the Shamans) and as the author of Tarot: Why, How, and How Far? that was published in 1982 as the Little White Book accompanying Paul Marteau’s Ancient Tarot of Marseilles published by Grimaud. According to Jean-Claude Flornoy, along with Jean Assens and Jodorowsky, she “was one of those who restored the reputation of the Tarot at the end of the 20th Century.” An excellent collection of research and translations of her work can be found here.

Unger’s booklet (attached below) contains information concerning subjective methods of assessment including emotional reactions to the imagery, historical symbolism, and interpretive frameworks, and objective methods of observation focused on the concrete content of the cards “without letting conditioned answers intervene.”

According to Unger,
... no book contains the Tarot, but the Tarot is contained in the whole of itself.
Tchalai booklet.pdf
(13.05 MiB) Downloaded 568 times
DISCLAIMER: The imaginary solutions contained in the tarot intend to give you the means for sabotaging reality through poetic action only. Any reliance you place on such imaginary solutions for reasons other than poetical is therefore strictly at your own risk. (EE)
Diana
Sage

Re: The Tarot: Why, How, and How Far? By Tchalaï Unger

Post by Diana »

Ah. If you mention Tchalaï Unger, I wouldn't be surprised if the CoT member _R_ pops his head in the door. He's a fine connoisseur of her books.
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
_R_
Sybil

Post by _R_ »

He may indeed. In fact, he put together the materials linked to above.

That said, I do not know where this Lacan rumour began as Tchalaï - always generous to a fault - never mentions him or his work in her books.
Desmond
Seer

Post by Desmond »

_R_ wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 12:27 He may indeed. In fact, he put together the materials linked to above.

That said, I do not know where this Lacan rumour began as Tchalaï - always generous to a fault - never mentions him or his work in her books.
Greetings _R_,

You are my personal hero. I just discovered your material yesterday and had never before encountered so much information on Unger (in English) in one place.

I will have to trace my reference for Lacan. Maybe I was just confused.

Take Care,
Desmond
DISCLAIMER: The imaginary solutions contained in the tarot intend to give you the means for sabotaging reality through poetic action only. Any reliance you place on such imaginary solutions for reasons other than poetical is therefore strictly at your own risk. (EE)
_R_
Sybil

Post by _R_ »

Desmond wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 13:26 Greetings _R_,

You are my personal hero. I just discovered your material yesterday and had never before encountered so much information on Unger (in English) in one place.

I will have to trace my reference for Lacan. Maybe I was just confused.

Take Care,
Desmond
Hello Desmond, you're welcome. Glad to be of service. There is more where that came from.
Monk
Sybil

Post by Monk »

Desmond wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 05:13 4C007D0A-BFFA-4EF9-A502-95D130B187E5.jpeg

Tchalaï Unger (1934-2005) was an exceptional French polymath of Hungarian Gypsy ancestry who worked as an entertainment journalist and Eriksonian-Transpersonal therapist. She is reported to have been a student of Jacques Lacan and mentor to Alejandro Jodorowsky. She is most well known within the Tarot community as the creator of Le Véritable Tarot Tzigane (The Authentic Gypsy Tarot) and Le Tarot des Chamanes (The Tarot of the Shamans) and as the author of Tarot: Why, How, and How Far? that was published in 1982 as the Little White Book accompanying Paul Marteau’s Ancient Tarot of Marseilles published by Grimaud. According to Jean-Claude Flornoy, along with Jean Assens and Jodorowsky, she “was one of those who restored the reputation of the Tarot at the end of the 20th Century.” An excellent collection of research and translations of her work can be found here.

Unger’s booklet (attached bellow) contains information concerning subjective methods of assessment including emotional reactions to the imagery, historical symbolism, and interpretive frameworks, and objective methods of observation focused on the concrete content of the cards “without letting conditioned answers intervene.”

According to Unger,
... no book contains the Tarot, but the Tarot is contained in the whole of itself.

Tchalai booklet.pdf
Thank You for this, also to _R_!

This is exactly what I need at the moment, A true godsent, WOW :)

M
Premier Principes Tarot is about to launch on Kickstarter - follow below to get updated.
-Premier Principes Tarot- https://www.instagram.com/premier_principes_tarot/
_R_
Sybil

Post by _R_ »

You're welcome. I have just posted another related article in this TdM subforum. By all means, take a look.

Return to “BOOKS about the Tarot de Marseilles”