This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Mercury Retrograde

Correspondences, decans, charts, constellations, ... Everything about the stars and heavens.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Mercury Retrograde

Post by Joan Marie »

A lot is made of this. Social media is filled with memes about it. Everything bad that happens is blamed on the Mercury retrograde..

But it's been going great for me. I feel clear. Things are working and making sense.

And I wonder if Mercury retrograding is our chance to manage without its direct influence. I mean maybe even Mercury needs a break sometimes and retrogrades to get away from us for a while just to see if we can keep things together for ourselves for a minute. Solve problems, endure adversity, and take care and help each other.

Are we up to that?

Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Decan
Seer

Re: Mercury Retrograde

Post by Decan »

I hope I don't make a mistake, but I think I remember that in Vedic Astrology Mercury retrograde isn't considered as bad but stronger. It's to confirm though, because my memory can play some tricks on me here since I don't know much about Vedic Astrology, it's something I read in the past.

Otherwise in Western Astrology when Mercury is retrograding it is considered dysfunctional, but a lot of people in the world can have good communications with others or good deals during this time I guess, but... Well I am careful myself when Mercury is retrograding but try to don't focus too much on that.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

I don't know anything about Mercury Retrograde so I went to read up on it. Is this why I'm feeling out of sorts for no particular reason ? It feels like I'm in a kind of a transition but I don't know what it is, and it's hugely uncomfortable. Is this something that is common to Mercury Retrograde ?
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Decan
Seer

Post by Decan »

@Marigold people complain about Mercury retrograde for everything that Mercury represents (mental, communication, trips) when things go wrong in these areas.
Generally these are communication problems (you say something and your interlocutor doesn't hear -or understand- what you say but something else, or you are wrong about what you say, and the result -at best- is some confusion); or this could refer to delays or obstacles with regard to a letter, a parcel, an order; complications concerning a trip, etc.
I guess that "to feel uncomfortable for no particular reason" could fit too as much as the mental/thoughts is involved.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Thanks Decan. As I have an appointment later today where misunderstandings may be rife I'll keep this in mind and hold back before speaking in order to make sure I'm not misunderstood.
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

twitter and instagram and tumblr and facebook are loaded right now with mercury retrograde memes.

I saw this one today and it's my personal favourite.

retrograde meme.jpg
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
leroidetrèfle
Seeker

Post by leroidetrèfle »

Retrogradation is both misunderstood and exaggerated in modern astrology. Along with transits.

It is essential to remember that whether a planet is retrograde or direct, it is still moving. It is the stationing that is important. When one of the stars turns retrograde (first station) or direct (second station), it appears to slow down and cease movement. It is this action that carries the most considerable significance. If you are reviewing a birth or interrogation chart, it is essential to look to see if there were stations in the week prior and subsequent.

Sahl Bin Bish, in Dykes' translation of Abu Ma'shar, gives the most clear understanding of stations and retrograde. He describes the first station (retrograde) as dissolution of purpose as if you decide I cannot be bothered now. In contrast, the second station is a renewal of purpose.

For example, one of my friends has Jupiter retrograde in the twelfth place. Jupiter rules the ascendant (Sagittarius). In less than 48 hours after birth, Jupiter stationed direct. Jupiter in the twelfth signifies work as a surgeon.

One of the most significant issues and let-downs within modern astrology is the lack of time-lords (chronocrators). Planets never cease moving; our charts, however, are not always active. Throughout our lives we undergo different actions as certain themes and events take focus. These are signalled by the chronocrators who exist in a hierarchy. Unless Mercury is the most prominent chronocrator his first station will never effect you, personally. Transits are the lowest form of time-lords.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Goodness me what a science !!! As for me, I don't understand even 2% of what you're talking about but it fascinates me all the same. Like I'm watching some great movie far too difficult for me to understand, but that it's filmed so beautifully that you cannot but stay and look with amazement.

It's very mathematical. When I see too many figures, my brain goes into panic mode. Ever since I was a kid. So I avoid numbers as much as I can naturally. Also I'm not very good at picturing things in three-dimensions. I think there are some neurones or something that have never connected.

Am going to reread your post again (I won't understand any more the second time going but it's wonderful.)
Amberjune
Seeker

Post by Amberjune »

Mercury retrograde does not have to be difficult. The only thing I would say is to maybe not buy any electronics, cars, or sign a brand new lease during that time. Also in general it tends to be a good time to do anything that starts with a re-: rethink, restructure, rebuild, reconnect, reevaluate, reset, repair, etc.
But it always depends on the personal chart and the context of our lives at that time.

Mercury retrograde always takes place 3 times every year and thus we have plenty of opportunity each year to explore, observe and play with it.
2020 dates are:
2/17 - 3/10 going from Pisces back into Aquarius
6/18 - 7/12 in Cancer
10/14/ - 11/3 going from Scorpio into Libra

Those who don't know astrology could still play with it using the respective tarot cards (for instance 2, 3, and 4 of cups for Cancer retrograde in June/July).
Those who know their natal houses can also check where in their charts the retrogrades will fall and plan ahead, or set some intentions.

I've had a beautiful Mercury retrograde experience today (this one falls into my natal 5th house, which is associated with joy among other things). While drinking my morning coffee, I watched somebody's story on Instagram and they played the song "Masquerade" from the Phantom of the Opera. I hadn't heard this song in decades and had completely forgotten about it. Hearing it again brought back wonderful memories of me as a child/teen when I got to see the show and oh how I LOVED that song back then!
Tears of joy where streaming down my face as I remembered this, and I had to song on repeat all day long ;-).
leroidetrèfle
Seeker

Post by leroidetrèfle »

Marigold wrote: 09 Nov 2019, 19:21 Goodness me what a science !!! As for me, I don't understand even 2% of what you're talking about but it fascinates me all the same. Like I'm watching some great movie far too difficult for me to understand, but that it's filmed so beautifully that you cannot but stay and look with amazement.

It's very mathematical. When I see too many figures, my brain goes into panic mode. Ever since I was a kid. So I avoid numbers as much as I can naturally. Also I'm not very good at picturing things in three-dimensions. I think there are some neurones or something that have never connected.

Am going to reread your post again (I won't understand any more the second time going but it's wonderful.)
Your film analogy was how I felt when I first encountered astrology.

Basically, Mercury retrograde is overstated and quite negligible. Unless Mercury is both emphasised and a serious time lord it doesn’t effect you.

Return to “Astrology”