This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Beginner book recommendations?

Correspondences, decans, charts, constellations, ... Everything about the stars and heavens.
chongjasmine
Seer

Beginner book recommendations?

Post by chongjasmine »

What are some good beginner astrology books?
For God so loves the world that He gives His son Jesus that whoever belives in Jesus shall not perish but have eternal life.
archimedes
Sage

Re: Beginner book recommendations?

Post by archimedes »

Linda Goodman's Sun Signs is an oldie but a goodie. We had that at home when I was a kid - published years ago so you can probably pick it up secondhand and cheap. One called 'The Only Astrology Book You'll Ever Need' seems to review well, too.
This is just my opinion. Your mileage may vary. My statement of my belief is not a criticism of your belief.
leroidetrèfle
Seeker

Post by leroidetrèfle »

Recommending texts on astrology is complicated by the fact that there is not one branch (horary, et cetera), and then there is the subject of practice. I started with William Lily and Olivia Barclay. Over the last four years, I have focused on the Perso-Arabic and Hellenistic period and took Chris Brennan's course and several of Dr Dykes' lectures.

I would recommend Dr Dykes' Traditional Astrology for Today: An Introduction and then Helena Avelar & Luis Ribeiro On The Heavenly Spheres and Traditional Astrology Course: Essential Concepts & Interpretation Basics. After that, Chris Brennan's Hellenistic Astrology: The Study of Fate and Fortune.

There is a fantastic website with free lessons: www.sevenstarsastrology.com. Anthony knows his stuff and is a brilliant writer.

These are centred on natal astrology. Traditionally, however, apprenctice astrologers started with horary astrology and then electional. They're also all traditional.
newoldians
Seer

Post by newoldians »

I think my first Astrology book was "Inner Sky" by Steven Forrest. It was a good book, still have it somewhere in the house.
But for something more heavy and deep with detail, "Hellenistic Astrology" by ??? forgot the author's name. This is a great text book of Astrology. A modern classic.

From the older books, also Robert Hand's the Planet series were good.

Return to “Astrology”