This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

What I'd like to do next on CoT - comments appreciated

A place to comment about the forum. (Please See Guidelines)
Forum rules
Forum Guidelines: Use this space for questions and comments about the forum.

Please do not post technical issues here. For help with technical issues send an email to: support@cultoftarotforum.com or PM Joan Marie or visit the tech assistance forum.
Diana
Sage

What I'd like to do next on CoT - comments appreciated

Post by Diana »

So I've been thinking hard about what I could contribute to the Tarot and also what I would enjoy contributing to CoT and which would also help me make some strides.

I'd like to know what people think about these projects and desires. Do you think they will be of sufficient interest ? Are they redundant (I don't want to repeat things that have been said a million times or even less than a million) ? Would they be good for CoT and the community here, in financial terms - do they bring sufficient added value ?

Here is what I would be interested in doing (starting after Christmas).

1) Study the differences between the RWS and the TdM. In depth. All 78 cards. For this, I can't be by myself - I don't know the RWS enough. So I'd have to stop after a few posts if the thread doesn't attract sufficient interest purely because I don't have the RWS competencies

2) Write about how to read the pips in the Tarot of Marseilles. There has been a huge surge of interest in the TdM and these Pips seem still to be causing people a lot of headaches, in spite of the books that have been written. Each book using a different method of course and therefore often reaching different conclusions. I'd like to arrive at something that, even if it remains a bit fluid, is a bit more conclusive. I think I MAY be able to handle this by myself if no-one is interested in joining, but I don't think I'd enjoy it so much if no-one joined in. Also just because I open the thread, it won't mean that others won't have much more interesting things to say than I. I'm not an expert... but I do know how to read pips in my particular manner. Which probably deserves a bit of a brush up and polishing.

3) I'd like to make also Plato's Cave a focus. And to try and read up a bit on things before I spout stuff that is obviously so amateur that it's almost embarrassing (although I don't get embarrassed easy so so far so good.)

4) And I'd like to do a reading as to why, when I write, do I make so many long parantheses (I'm not joking).

There. That's sort of the road I'd like to take in the months to come.

Does anyone have anything to say about this ?
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Re: What I'd like to do next on CoT - comments appreciated

Post by Joan Marie »

Diana wrote: 26 Nov 2019, 19:02 1) Study the differences between the RWS and the TdM. In depth. All 78 cards. For this, I can't be by myself - I don't know the RWS enough. So I'd have to stop after a few posts if the thread doesn't attract sufficient interest purely because I don't have the RWS competencies
I think this sounds really fascinating. But I can see it might be a lot to take on yourself without some strong support on the RWS side.
2) Write about how to read the pips in the Tarot of Marseilles. .

I think that this topic would DEFINITELY be extremely useful and popular. I also know it is one of your core competencies. (forgive me for that, I used to work in a corporate world.) But seriously, I think you could bring a lot to this, and it is an area screaming for some interactive attention. Reading books is great, but for a person to be able to actually discuss how to read pips with someone like you and others here, I think that would be a remarkable contribution.

3) I'd like to make also Plato's Cave a focus. And to try and read up a bit on things before I spout stuff that is obviously so amateur that it's almost embarrassing (although I don't get embarrassed easy so so far so good.)
I think we should all visit the cave from time to time.
4) And I'd like to do a reading as to why, when I write, do I make so many long parantheses (I'm not joking).
You're on your own here sister. I've got my own shadows to deal with!
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Thanks for your feedback Joan Marie.

Yep... I'll do that reading on my own. It may have something to do with either a lack of focus, or an ability to focus on two things at the same time. But even if I can focus on two things at the same time, doesn't mean they have to be addressed together. I'm curious actually. It's only in the last year or so that I've started writing so many parentheses. It's not a writing style, so I wonder what it is. I'll post my reading when I do in the My Readings section.

Pips... what a funny word.
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Diana wrote: 27 Nov 2019, 14:29 Yep... I'll do that reading on my own. It may have something to do with either a lack of focus, or an ability to focus on two things at the same time. But even if I can focus on two things at the same time, doesn't mean they have to be addressed together. I'm curious actually. It's only in the last year or so that I've started writing so many parentheses. It's not a writing style, so I wonder what it is. I'll post my reading when I do in the My Readings section.
Virginia Woolfe wrote an essay once about the difference between how men and women write and one thing that came through (and that she did throughout the piece) is the female tendency to digress as a way of making things clear, of painting pictures.

She didn't say it was a better or worse way to write. Just different.

Maybe it was "A Room of One's Own." I can't recall if it was that one or not. As she is explaining this she digresses and digresses from her digressions using tons of commas, but then always bringing it back around to where she started. I have absolutely no trouble following her when she does this. I quite enjoy it really. It's like taking a ride.

I guess you might look at your writing and decide if the parentheses are making the writing more colourful and fun or not.

--
I have a sister-in-law who when she is writing an email will suddenly type, "..wait a second. There's someone at the door." then the next paragraph starts, "It was the UPS man, I ordered one of those new one-pot things for my kitchen. I've read they are really great to have. I think I'll make a stew tonight. Anyway.... "
And then she returns to what she was writing about before the "interruption."

It's hilarious and really cute. It's like she thinks we're on the phone.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Joan Marie wrote: 27 Nov 2019, 15:04

I guess you might look at your writing and decide if the parentheses are making the writing more colourful and fun or not.

--
I have a sister-in-law who when she is writing an email will suddenly type, "..wait a second. There's someone at the door." then the next paragraph starts, "It was the UPS man, I ordered one of those new one-pot things for my kitchen. I've read they are really great to have. I think I'll make a stew tonight. Anyway.... "
And then she returns to what she was writing about before the "interruption."

It's hilarious and really cute. It's like she thinks we're on the phone.
Thanks for the Virginia Woolf info. (Do you know I've never read anything by her !!) See... the parenthesis again. It's automatic - I don't realise I'm doing a parenthesis until it's finished !!

I'll study my writing and then also do a reading on it .

That's nice how your sister communicates. She sort of doesn't make a separation between things. It's one world - and the UPS man came to give a different colour to that moment and she includes this colour in her email. :D
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Charlie Brown reminded me of one more thing I want to focus on. And that is continuing to participate in the Reading Exchanges. They're one of the highlights of these boards and it would be silly to not join in. I'm a lousy reader though - even if Charlie Brown has sometimes tried to reassure me very kindly that I'm not SOOO bad !!!. But I know what my readings are worth - I'm the one who does them so I should know !!! I often wonder what the hell I'm writing down - am I just making it all up ? But it's all part of the fun here. And I'm learning how to use fixed spreads and it makes me see out of my usual box. And Charlie Brown organises the TdM Reading Exchange just perfectly.

It's all part of the Tarot experience.

Return to “Misc. Topics about The Cult of Tarot Forum”