This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Plato's Cave

A place to comment about the forum. (Please See Guidelines)
Forum rules
Forum Guidelines: Use this space for questions and comments about the forum.

Please do not post technical issues here. For help with technical issues send an email to: support@cultoftarotforum.com or PM Joan Marie or visit the tech assistance forum.
Diana
Sage

Plato's Cave

Post by Diana »

Plato's Cave is the best thing that's appeared on the Tarot scene for a long time. Its originality and its appropriateness to the Tarot itself in all its aspects, is really refreshing. It's nice to see something different and insolite.

Now that it's all neatly laid out, everything is so much easier and we've got a whole new room in our house dedicated to philosophy and its practical applications. That's what I like so much about the Tarot. I'm enamoured by the history, the symbolism, the alchemy and the magic... but if it weren't for the practical side, it would just be like looking at a pretty picture.

I've enjoyed reading (and often rereading) all the stuff, learning a huge amount. I've never read any philosophy really - apart from Albert Camus who for some reason accompanied me for quite some time -

I leave Sisyphus at the foot of the mountain. One always finds one’s burden again. But Sisyphus teaches the higher fidelity that negates the gods and raises rocks. He too concludes that all is well. This universe henceforth without a master seems to him neither sterile nor futile. Each atom of that stone, each mineral flake of that night-filled mountain, in itself, forms a world. The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man’s heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.

- because I find the language hurts my head a bit. Even the language in Plato's Cave hurts my head sometimes but I continue valiantly along in my little rowing boat trying to navigate between the big sailing boats 🤪 And I've always found philosophy too theoretical - and to plow through all those books and more books and more books to find some application to my life has always seemed to me to be a mountain I didn't feel like climbing. Where would I find the time??? And even (this is said in really really tiny letters ---- I always find the books rather boring.)

But Plato's Cave is lovely.

So thanks to the one who started it and those who contribute.
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Re: Plato's Cave

Post by Joan Marie »

Marigold wrote: 24 Nov 2019, 18:43 Plato's Cave is the best thing that's appeared on the Tarot scene for a long time. Its originality and its appropriateness to the Tarot itself in all its aspects, is really refreshing. It's nice to see something different and insolite.
I couldn't agree more. It so much fun and so challenging in the best way.

I too find reading philosophy very difficult. It just goes too far into the weeds for me sometimes. But talking about philosophy is different.

Recently I found the most interesting thing though, It's called The School of Life from Alain de Botton.

There are a bunch of brilliant short animated videos that take on really weighty life topics.

Regarding philosophy, they have a whole series on all the big names.
Here is the one on Plato for example.

I really enjoy these a lot. I find them really easy to understand, not convoluted at all.

I know, I need my philosophy lessons in 6-minute animated presentations.
Well, it's 2019 and now we HAVE that, so ...

I'm going to watch some and get inspired now to jump into Plato's Cave.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Diana
Sage

Re: Plato's Cave

Post by Diana »

Now that's a great resource for Plato's Cave. Perhaps if other resources and things get added, this thread could be put in the relevant forum for easy reference.

I spend hours a week listening to talks and watching documentaries on youtube so this will go right into my subscribed channels.

Oh, I forgot to say please come in ! Don't dive though - the cave is deep - you may hurt your head. Use the ladder on the right hand side (not the left - that one leads nowhere.)
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)

Return to “Misc. Topics about The Cult of Tarot Forum”