This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

The Thank You button

A place to comment about the forum. (Please See Guidelines)
Forum rules
Forum Guidelines: Use this space for questions and comments about the forum.

Please do not post technical issues here. For help with technical issues send an email to: support@cultoftarotforum.com or PM Joan Marie or visit the tech assistance forum.
Diana
Sage

The Thank You button

Post by Diana »

When I first joined CoT, I discovered this "Thank you button" that we use all very generously. I was most pleased. I thought "oh, this saves all those posts where people just say "thanks. great post". Sort of empty posts. At least people know that their contribution was read and appreciated with the Thank You button which means the same as "thanks, great post". And I thought this was an improvement over the old method.

There is or was someone who has a signature something like "Don't Thank Me. PM or tell me what you liked about the post". I was struck by this signature.

And I agree. I think one of the reasons these boards often "seem" rather empty, is also because people don't take time to tell people what they appreciate. To initiate some kind of conversation about the post. People put an awful lot of efforts sometimes into their posts, and we end up by just saying "thank you". I'm "guilty" of this too. It's too easy. And although it seems considerate, it isn't really. Because the recipient doesn't know what was appreciated.

So personally (obviously - what a useless word), I'd love to see less Thank Yous and more talk.
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Re: The Thank You button

Post by Joan Marie »

I just, ironically, thanked you for that post.

Even just a few words now and again helps keep the forum lively and engaging for everyone.

But if you just want to use the thanks button, that's all right too. ❤️
Just always know that hearing from you in words is always welcomed and adored!
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
SaturnCeleste
Seer

Post by SaturnCeleste »

Hey, I just received a Thank You!! It was awesome!! Thank you for the thank you button!! :mrgreen:
stronglove
Sage

Post by stronglove »

this is so interesting..... the signature was mine but i deleted it when i rejoined the forum. with me it was the other way around, diana. i really hated the thank you button when it was first introduced, even tried to get it removed :lol: :lol: :lol: it reminded me too much of the facebook like-button and i had just deleted my facebook account and left all social media. so when i was outnumbered in my dislike of the thank-you button i created that signature, because so often people just click that button and don’t even bother to take the time to say why they like a post and what they take from it. but after a while i realized that i was being judgmental, it felt like i was berating people for using that button. and i really hate it when people are being judgmental, it was one of the reasons i left the forum for a while. so when i decided to come back here that signature was staring me in the face and it just felt wrong. why on earth should i object to people thanking me, or thanking other people, for posting here? it suddenly felt totally misplaced, so i deleted it. really fascinating how different things look when you change your perspective.....
from fragility to humility....maybe white lives should matter a little less
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

stronglove wrote: 14 Jan 2020, 22:24 this is so interesting..... the signature was mine but i deleted it when i rejoined the forum.
That's really interesting the story behind your old signature. I'd forgotten whose it was. Oh yes, facebook and all that. I don't do social media so didn't think to make a connection. I can understand why you felt a bit like you'd been plunged back in that world that the Dark Lord Zuckerberg and consorts have created. A sort of real life Darth Vader we have there. Only there's a bunch of them this time. Eeeek !! 😨

Ah, but this CoT Thank You button is different. It's a nice button. I love to use it actually and it's always nice when one sees a little red flash of red colour when one logs on. But there's nothing better than talk. I mean, that's what people come to a discussion forum for. That's why it's called a discussion forum. I think.

But the boards are much busier these days so there's a lot more to and fro and tossing around of ideas. And along with the tossing there's a lot of thanking too.
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

I believe in Crystal Light.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Lol Charlie Brown - one can see you've got a little kid at home ! You know all the classics I assume. 😂

Return to “Misc. Topics about The Cult of Tarot Forum”