This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

My Planetary Week # 2: January 5 - 11

We look at our lives through a crystal or prism. Each day of the week we use our cards to take a look at another aspect.
Nemia
Sage

My Planetary Week # 2: January 5 - 11

Post by Nemia »

This is an invitation to work with one card deck for one week in a group reading.

You can pick any deck: tarot, Lenormand, Kipper, oracle or playing cards. From this deck, you'll draw one card per day - i.e., seven Daily Cards from your Deck of the Week that allow you to get to know the deck better, to hone your reading skills and get new insights about your life.

In a Planetary Week reading, we don't only draw a card per day but also give it a topic. We focus on motifs, topics, patterns in our lives, inspired by the planetary ruler of every weekday (for background information, look here).

On Saturdays, ruled by Saturn: Obstacles and Blockades,
on Sundays, ruled by the Sun: Inspiration and Goals,
on Mondays, ruled by the Moon: Dreams and Fears,
on Tuesdays, ruled by Mars: Conflicts and Challenges,
on Wednesdays, ruled by Mercury: Interactions and Change,
on Thursdays, ruled by Jupiter: Power and Influences, and
on Fridays, ruled by Venus: Love and Attraction.

The focus words I chose for each planet/day are not binding. Please don't limit yourself to the two short words if you feel other aspects of the planet are relevant to your reading.

There are different ways to perform a Planetary Week reading.

Traditional: draw a card per day and use the prism of the planetary influence to connect the card to your day and life.

Selective: select a card that suits the topic of each weekday and use it as affirmation and empowerment to improve your life.

Day-by-day: draw or pick your daily card one by one through the week.

Summarily: draw or pick all cards together before the week starts and treat them as a complete reading.

:!: And what about those who just want to have a Deck of the Week, Card of the Day reading? They can just jump in and leave the planetary lore away.

Share pictures if you can or want to.

No matter how we do it - by reminding ourselves of the planetary regents and their influence, we re-connect to the sevenfold cycle of time that our ancestors established, with their eyes to the sky.

Participants:
Nemia - Golden Tarot (AT review here)
Chiscotheque - Golden Age of Hollywood Tarot
Joan Marie - Haindl Tarot
Nemia
Sage

Re: My Planetary Week # 2: January 5 - 11

Post by Nemia »

If you want to use a template for the week and just fill it in, here is the template I use:

Deck:

Saturday, 5.1.
ruled by Saturn - Obstacles and Blockades

Sunday, 6.1.
ruled by the Sun - Inspiration and Goals

Monday, 7.1.
ruled by the Moon - Dreams and Fears

Tuesday, 8.1.
ruled by Mars - Conflicts and Challenges

Wednesday, 9.1.
ruled by Mercury - Interactions and Change

Thursday, 10.1.
ruled by Jupiter - Power and Influences

Friday, 11.1.
ruled by Venus - Love and Attraction
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

And here is my week.

Deck: Golden Tarot

I went through my deck lists because I want to find out which of my decks were never used as Planetary Decks or Decks of the Week. I've been doing this exercise for nearly two years now and it started to get a bit confusing :-) But now I know which are the decks I'll use in 2019. I also put up pictures of my complete week on my picture site.

I bought the Golden Tarot a long time ago and like it, in spite of my thorough knowledge of the art involved and my inability NOT to see the originals. I don't think that Kat Black really managed to "melt" the images into one as so many reviewers raved when the deck came out, but that doesn't disturb me. Styles, techniques and lighting sources in the different pictures are different and no amount of pixel pushing can change that. And it's okay. It's a fascinating work of art newly created from existing works of art.

golden tarot in bag.jpg

I'm more enthusiastic about other decks though that don't hide their collage roots so carefully. Collage decks like Cult of Weimar and Stretch, or art collage in crazy colours like Distant Past have a bit more courage to throw themselves into the wild world of association and eclecticism. The Golden is also very close to RWS, and in some cards, the Sun comes to mind, it goes a bit too far.

But I still love this deck, a lot of hard creative tarot love went into its making, I'm happy that I'll spend this week with it.

golden tarot in open bag.jpg

Saturday, 5.1.
ruled by Saturn - Obstacles and Blockades

2019 01 05 golden tarot death.jpg
2019 01 05 golden tarot death.jpg (59.22 KiB) Viewed 3260 times

This is one of my favourite interpretations of Death. Konrad von Soest's beautiful painting actually doesn't need much more. Death comes as a friend to the Virgin. The original painting is, as I see now, in Dortmund - next time I'm in the area (and I'm there regularly), I'll go to see it.

I thought about my daily cards lately a bit. I started two years ago and have done my daily readings quite regularly. It's what all the books recommend, so I should be a rock star reader by now, shouldn't I? But I still feel shy about reading for others...

Sometimes the daily card tells me things that happen on that certain day. At other times, the cards nail a specific topic in my life - my professional stagnation, my private happiness, worries I have. And sometimes, the cards tell me general truths about myself, my character, my attitude to life. Much depends on the deck. Once a deck starts talking to me, it usually continues in the same vein the whole week.

Since I started writing in this format, the whole week in one post, I noticed it even more clearly.

So what is it now, this week? I feel that the cards really want me to train my reading abilities. To lift my heads from my personal eternal problems and start reading cards as though for others. Start sewing a quilt from the fabric of time, celestial power and tarot card.

So we have the question of obstacles, blockades and time - Saturn/Chronos is afraid of the future and tries to un-make it by swallowing his children. Which backfires badly.

Why should anyone try to stop time? wish to do so? Because of Death, obviously. Death waits for us, every day we're getting closer, we know that, Pink Floyd told us so but we don't need Pink Floyd for that.

But where's the soution? Looking at the reconciled, accepting face of the Virgin, there is a message. Accept death like life, believe that there is meaning in this life and this death. Believe in angels, in forces, believe that you're not alone, and make best use of this life so you can leave it behind without bitterness and fear.

All this is very nice in theory. For me, the worst fear is not my own death. I fear to lose those I love, especially one of my children. It's my constant nightmare, I guess parenthood makes us crazy vulnerable.

Sunday, 6.1.
ruled by the Sun - Inspiration and Goals

2019 01 06 Golden Tarot Temperance.jpg
2019 01 06 Golden Tarot Temperance.jpg (29.41 KiB) Viewed 3251 times

And it's Temperance for today, Sunday. A rainy, not a sunny Sunday - wonderful, I love and crave rain.

I love Temperance, it's always among my favourite cards (Empress, Death, Temperance, Star, Emperor, Hierophant... I love them all, once I start thinking...).

How does Temperance come to the fore on a day of inspiration and the wonderful things the Sun gives? It warms us - enlightens us - brightens our mood - makes us see clearly - makes everything grow - helps us keep time - and seems a most natural candidate for a divine power in the natural world around us.

The Sun can also burn, sting and blind us. Good dear Temperance reminds us that even the best things are better when enjoyed in moderation. And a rainy Sunday is just the right symbol for that.

Monday, 7.1.
ruled by the Moon - Dreams and Fears

2019 01 07 Golden Tarot Ace of Wands.jpg
2019 01 07 Golden Tarot Ace of Wands.jpg (48.87 KiB) Viewed 3205 times

The Ace of Wands. Again a solar card on a lunar day. I've had quite a lot of them for some time. Again the Temperance them.

Tuesday, 8.1.
ruled by Mars - Conflicts and Challenges

2019 01 08 Golden Tarot Hermit.jpg
2019 01 08 Golden Tarot Hermit.jpg (47.35 KiB) Viewed 3205 times

And the Hermit on the day of strife and aggression. He seems to send a calming look over to Mars. Admittedly, the Mantegna Mars seems quite a peaceful guy, sitting around contemplating fight but not actually fighting...

Wednesday, 9.1.
ruled by Mercury - Interactions and Change

2019 01 09 Golden Tarot Three of Swords.jpg
2019 01 09 Golden Tarot Three of Swords.jpg (41.75 KiB) Viewed 3205 times

The Three of Swords for today (I draw a card every day but don't have time every day to take a picture, send it to my laptop, resize it, cut it to fitting proportions and post it...). Actually, Three of Swords should be on the Mars day and Hermit on the day of communication and interaction... I'm just closed off today, isolated from the world, and I like it. Being alone seems like a place of power.

Thursday, 10.1.
ruled by Jupiter - Power and Influences

2019 01 10 Golden Tarot 2 Swords.jpg
2019 01 10 Golden Tarot 2 Swords.jpg (30.17 KiB) Viewed 3191 times

And the Two of Swords - after the Three, that's a bit strange, they're both a bit sombre... My life is so quiet and eventless right now that I really can't think of anything. My mind is going total blank. In a way what the woman on the card must be feeling. There is nothing she can do - she should do so much but doesn't know where to start - so she delays decision - and that's me, yes.

Concerning Jupiter - he just gives me a feeling of "it might be okay to continue it a bit and I have good reasons" ;-) but I know time is running out.

Friday, 11.1.
ruled by Venus - Love and Attraction

2019 01 11 golden 8 wands.jpg
2019 01 11 golden 8 wands.jpg (53.27 KiB) Viewed 3160 times

For tomorrow - the Eight of Wands, and this card is an example for Kat Black's all-too-close imitation of RWS iconography. Fridays are nice, who wouldn't love Venus smiling at the world? Communication, action, change - great.

I put together my fan for the whole week already -

week  2019 01 05 Golden Tarot.jpg
week 2019 01 05 Golden Tarot.jpg (75.45 KiB) Viewed 3160 times

I was too curious how it would look.

Without a doubt, the Golden is a beauty and it's a solid, interesting reading deck. I love the Touchstone even more - there's more artistic freedom in it, and more warmth.

But both decks are wonderful and I'm so glad I have them.
chiscotheque
Sage

Post by chiscotheque »

Day 1 - Saturday, ruled by Saturn: Obstacles and Blockades
4 emperor mogul.jpg
Card: The Emperor IV The Mogul
I mentioned Howard Hughes yesterday, who features on this card, how he was the nail in the coffin of RKO Pictures. He was an insane anti-Semite who made a fortune off of war profiteering and whose wealth made him untouchable. He is certainly representative of the worst aspects of The Mogul card - power and wealth used with impunity, authoritarianism, male hubris, philistinism. Also represented on the card is David O. Selznick, whose great moment was producing Gone With The Wind, seen last Tuesday on the Ace of Coin. He had married into Hollywood royalty by becoming the son-in-law of Louis B. Mayer, but he left his wife for actress Jennifer Jones and spent the remainder of his career producing films to showcase her second-rate talents. An amphetamine user, Selnick led a scattered life and died of a heart attack. Irving Thalberg is also represented, in the form of the lifetime achievement award which bears his image. Thalberg, known as The Boy Wonder and the artistic talent behind Louis B. Mayer, died at the age of 37.

The Emperor, even as I recognize its role and importance, is one of my least favourite cards. With today's allocation of Obstacles & Blockades, I read this as a verification of a lurking realization which has been pestering me for some time, namely: my own growing preoccupation with order, correctness, budgets, work-load, and timetables. Gradually, like a lobster in a pot, I have taken on the mantle of responsibility, over-seeing everything which goes on around me. While it facilitates things getting done, it also results in tension, resentment, a short-temper, and worst of all: an inability to enjoy the things I do, to find pleasure in little things, or to relate to other people in ways other than the question - do they lessen or increase my stress?

Last night I dreamt that a friend of mine, who recently died, had come to see me one last time. The dream consisted of me waking up from a short nap to realize my friend had been and gone. When I tried to remember what had happened before I fell asleep, everything about my friend's visit was hazy, as I had been pre-occupied with gardening tasks, mending a fence, and other menial chores. Looking around me, all that remained of my friend were bits of paper and the bindings of books with their innards ripped out. What this dream and this card today compels me to do is jettison the position of supervision and obligation I have lately assumed and open myself to the value of each moment, waken to what it is my soul needs not what the ego &/or super-ego demands, and reconnect with what others call on us to engender - the better angels of our nature.

Day 2 - Sunday, ruled by the Sun: Inspiration and Goals
17 star method.jpg
Card: The Star XVII Method Acting
This is a wonderful card for today's allocation. It, along with Strength, is my so-called birth card. The Stanislavski method of acting was a revolutionary Russian innovation to both ideas of characterization and theatrical content. With its emphasis on ensemble acting and social realism, its innovations were embraced by progressive actors in New York who incorporated and enriched this method in their newly-formed troupe, The Group Theatre. From this small spark grew what would become the pre-eminent acting style in America in the latter half of the 20th Century, known as Method Acting or simply The Method. Rather than utilizing outward devices to convey emotion and intent, The Method sees actors turn inward and tap into their own personal experience to find empathy with their characters and thereby inhabit them from within. The result is a heightened naturalism on the one hand, and an increased capacity for nuance and complexity of character on the other.

As a symbol, the Star card is a gift - one from afar (the heavens or, here, Russia) which takes root inside one's self, in the soil of one's own experiences, light and dark, like the gift of grace or (in Christian terms) the bestowing of the Holy Spirit to the soul. On a personal level, I'm sensing it signifies the dropping away of some spent paradigms and calcified scaffolding which have been impeding my growth, expression, and intimacy with others. Fear causes one to shut down and hide inside, reducing us to a mollusk's existence. The Star shows us what we are made of, what is always there but can only be seen when the bright lights dim. It is a present, here & now, giving us the strength to fully experience life and love.

"Everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven...Do not worry about how to defend yourselves or what to say, for at that time the Holy Spirit will teach you what you should say.”

Day 3 - Monday, ruled by the Moon: Dreams and Fears
12 cups jimmy stewart.jpg
Card: Knight of Cups - James Stewart
As a boy, Jimmy Stewart was my favourite actor. His sincerity made him instantly relatable; that he was naive and often in over his head made him relevant to me as a kid. His struggles in the world and against it, in such films as It's A Wonderful Life and Mr. Smith Goes To Washington, made him a kind of underdog hero.

Stewart's later work, with Hitchcock and in westerns, saw his character become more complex, often conflicted or obsessive. The best example of this is Vertigo, where Stewart doesn't so much play against type as he plays his type in absurdum - the exaggerated endpoint of a character who can't see people - notably women and himself - for who they are, so clouded is he by his own psychologically tortured ideals. In real life, he reached the highest military ranking of any Hollywood actor and settled comfortably into the role of staunch Republican, actively supporting Nixon, Reagan, and the war in Vietnam.

Here, on the Knight of Cups card, the central image is taken from the film Harvey, where Stewart holds the hat and coat of an invisible 6-foot 8-inch tall rabbit. Further suggesting his slip into mental infirmity, we see the face of the older Stewart looking inward, reflected and reflected again as in mirrors. The leafless and perhaps dead trees suggest a cracked mirror, with Stewart's troubled faces boxing him in. The Knight of Cups, who began so valiantly with emotional authenticity and naturalistic fervor, sinks into a night of cups where convention and ideology rule the unruly both within and as represented by the Other, in the end becoming a sad parody of itself, reading aloud on the Johnny Carson Show a whimsical poem about his dog "Blue". This obviously reflects the fear aspect for me in today's allocation - to somehow maintain the genuine spark represented by Stewart as a young man, through the restrictions and conservatisms concomitant with growing older, without betraying the boyish dream by becoming an irrelevant bit of fossilized driftwood. How? well, if straight stewardship fails, I guess I'll have to jimmy it.

Day 4 - Tuesday, ruled by Mars: Conflicts and Challenges
6 spades casablanca.jpg
Card: 6 of Spades - Casablanca
Almost everyone knows Casablanca, even those who don't care for old films. Many lines from its dialogue are classics, its song "You Must Remember This" memorable, its stars immortal, and it remains one of the most popular films of all time. It has entered the psyche of the culture, being referred to, copied, and parodied countless times. In some ways, it is a towering cliché, made up of a hundred clichés, yet it transcends the boundaries of banality and commonplace.

Central to the GAHT's 6 of Spades card is Ilsa, played by Ingrid Bergman. Her lovely face, red with passion or shame, perhaps fighting back tears, looks upwards with hope and backwards to the past she is leaving. At the end of Casablanca, Bergman flies away with her husband Laszlo, echoing the RWS card which sees a woman departing from us in a small boat. Unhappily married in real-life, Bergman began an affair with director Roberto Rossellini. This caused an incredible scandal in the United States, effectively destroying her career in Hollywood, so Bergman left her husband and daughter in America to go live with Rossellini in Italy.

For 11 years, I have lived half the time in a different city from my romantic partner, commuting back and forth twice a year. Because of past relationships and incomprehension regarding our unconventional relationship, my spouse has endured calumny, censure, and division among her circle of friends. At the moment she is visiting me over Christmas, and in the Spring she is leaving that city and circle to relocate here permanently. In this way, she and I are extricating ourselves from that conflict. The move itself is a challenge, as is settling into a new city, missing old friends while making new ones, and adjusting to the new dynamic.

That said, stepping back to look at the bigger picture, as meaningful as these changes are to her, me, and those in our circle, they don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world.

Day 5 - Wednesday, ruled by Mercury: Interactions and Change
13 batons babara stanwyck.jpg
Card: Queen of Batons - Barbara Stanwyck
The red on this Queen of Batons (Fire) card mirrors the red on Ingrid Bergman's face yesterday, only in reverse, as everything except Stanwyck's face is red. This queen can be both glamorous and a deadly shot. Stanwyck's real name was Ruby, accounting in part for the red, but perhaps also suggesting the poor little waif of a girl - the rube - she left behind by becoming Barbara Stanwyck. The wyck aspect of her name implies the wick of a candle - or the fuse to a stick of dynamite - while the Barb aspect alludes to her tenacity, her tendency at times to be rebarbative. Her role here as Annie Oakley underscores that tough as nails aspect of Stanwyck, a symbol of the modern woman theatre-goers of the 30s embraced. This stands in contradistinction to more blatant gender-bending offenders of the time, such as Marlene Dietrich or Katharine Hepburn, actors the public received with some suspicion.

Stanwyck's sexuality was something she kept extremely secret - even to the point of keeping it secret from herself. Her marriage to the closeted Robert Taylor, for instance, was either a conscious ruse or a highly subconscious one. Like many people who live in denial, she became not only a staunch and outspoken conservative but an Ayn Randian social-Darwinist masquerading as a patriot. Having lived through poverty, endured abuse, and made sacrifices, Stanwyck convinced herself if she could make it anyone and everyone could. As she aged, her vibrancy ossified into a smoldering resentment.

These are the dark aspects of this card, where a female energy burns out making itself queen. With today's allocation of interactions and change, the message here - like the 2 Stanwycks - appears to be twofold. The young Ruby Stevens fought her way up in showbiz, changing herself into a success with her audience as she went. In the end, it could be said she changed too much from the vulnerable little girl she once was. Marrying an actor more famous than her at the time, she carried on having numerous relationships with actors in Hollywood with one eye on how they might help advance her career. In the end, it could be said, she made too many sacrifices and her interactions were impeded by an emotionally distant, Machiavellian quality. On a personal level, I read this card as an admonition to be moderate and mindful of what changes I make, sure to keep the heart in even the most pragmatic decision. The same holds true for interactions, being sure the passion and compassion is alive in me and connecting with the hearts of those I love.

Day 6 - Thursday, ruled by Jupiter: Power and Influences
1 magicoan director.jpg
Card: The Magician I The Director
I realized fairly young that one of the primary things that makes a good film better than most has a lot to do with its director. In fact, in my 20s, I made a number of short films and wanted to be a director - not a Hollywood director with a bullhorn, monocle, riding pants and whip, but an independent director like the European auteurs, involved in every aspect of film-making. After a while, however, I realized there were far too many impediments to that dream, from prohibitive production costs to assembling a credible cast. And anyway, while I am opinionated in aesthetic matters and persnickety at times to a fault, it is contrary to my nature to order other people around.

The figure on the GAHT's Magician card, representing all Hollywood directors, is Orson Welles. Although he was initially embraced by Hollywood and then rejected by it - in fact, for this very reason - Welles has come to symbolize the young maverick director. The movie industry's power players resented him, and in examining the corruptive power of wealth in the veiled personage of media magnate William Randolph Hearst, Welles punched too high above his weight. It could be said, upon its release, Kane was slain by its own ability. Over time, it grew in stature to represent not only a benchmark in film craft, but in auteurship. Exiled to Europe, Welles went on to make some great films (The Trial, Chimes at Midnight) and was also prevented from making some great films (The Merchant of Venice, The Dreamers). He also made the odd stinker (Mr. Arkadin).

Like the acolyte alchemist or sorcerer's apprentice the Magician represents, if he goes too far too fast and drops the many balls he has in the air, the magic turns tragic. For me personally, this card today suggests the line that needs to be walked when it comes to authority, agency, authorship, and direction. One needn't be reckless to be daring, and one doesn't sacrifice independence by being inclusive.

Day 7 - Friday, ruled by Venus: Love and Attraction
12 coins william powell.jpg
Card: Knight of Coin - William Powell
William Powell is an actor I didn't really notice much, watching movies as a kid growing up. He cut his teeth as a dramatic actor late in the silent era and early in the sound, but his real gift was as a comedic actor. His debonair charm and resonant voice were the perfect foils for putting him in compromising situations uttering pithy remarks. I first noticed him as Nick Charles in the delightful Thin Man movies, solving murder cases and drinking his way through the Depression.

Powell often came across as a silk stocking lothario, which many actors tried to emulate [i.e. - Melvyn Douglas]. Contrary to this persona, his penchant was to play comedy very broadly, to the point of farce, which is not my cup of tea at the best of times. He was always best being droll, the best example of this - and his ideal role in my opinion - was as the indomitable Godfrey in My Man Godfrey [cf. 3 of Batons]. In real life, he had a predilection for charismatic women - his 2nd wife was the much younger Carole Lombard and he was Jean Harlowe's fiancé just before her untimely death. Powell himself was a private, urbane, retiring man, who quit Hollywood and lived the last 30 years of his life quietly with his 3rd wife in relative anonymity.

While Powell's on-screen persona was winning, and his Hollywood love-life high-profile, his actual personality was the opposite of a playboy. With today's allocation of Love & Attraction, the emphasis may be on how one is perceived rather than how one feels themselves. The younger Powell - his knight aspect - found himself inveigled with vivacious women, but he was in more or less over his head. He remained loyal and loving to his past partners, but he continued to make missteps in matters of the heart while in the limelight. The lesson, in short, may be how a person appears to others can be misleading, and how those others then behave can, in turn, mislead that person. Having kept his head - and heart - through hardships, Powell matured and, in the end, found contentment and lasting love.

Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

I'm using my Haindl Tarot this week because to me it feels like the weather here, a bit wintery and distant.

Day 1 - Saturday, ruled by Saturn: Obstacles and Blockades
Kali, the Mother of Wands
Kali, the Mother of Wands

Well there's an image to start the week with! That's some highly charged female energy right there.
Works for me. I could use a bit of that. I am interpreting this as the energy I need to unblock, unleash, set free in the relentless pursuit of life and create-ive spirit.

Okay Kali, it's you and me this week!
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Sundays, ruled by the Sun: Inspiration and Goals
Alchemy
Alchemy

In this deck the XIV card is called Alchemy. It corresponds to Temperance.
Earlier this morning I was reading and there was a reference to Paracelsus who said we eat stars with our bread.

I was intrigued.

I looked him up and found that he was a physician, alchemist and astrologer of the German Renaissance. And down the rabbit hole I went.

Earlier this week I was in Prague at a museum where I took this photo of a display of an Alchemist's lab.

alchemy.jpg

And just now I draw The Alchemy card on a Sunday, ruled by the Sun, pondering inspiration and goals.
Who was more driven by their work than the Alchemists? Who was more doubted, scorned, ridiculed and misunderstood?
I too am driven, to understand mystery, to make things work, to find the time and resources I need to explore ideas new and old.

I now wonder if there were any women Alchemists. Surely there were but they were probably called witches.

I've been thinking a lot about finding a way to bring all my thoughts and ideas and projects together, a sort of Grimoire/Journal kind of thing. I read and learn so much but forget half of it right away and most of the other half shortly after. I want a place to keep it all and I don't know how exactly. This card is inspiring me to find an answer to that.
chiscotheque
Sage

Post by chiscotheque »

there was a reference to Paracelsus who said we eat stars with our bread.

I was intrigued.
Shakespeare was an early follower of Paracelsus; he was probably introduced to him through his adopted mother and later mother-in-law, Mildred Cooke, also a herbalist and one of the most learned women in Elizabethan England. Allusion to Paracelsus can be seen in All's Well That Ends Well, Romeo & Juliet, and Pericles.
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

Chiscotheque, you really did the work with your decks. I'm impressed by the way you read them. I see you do it week after week. Inspiring artwork, and isn't it amazing where you can find the tarot archetypes?
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Mondays, ruled by the Moon: Dreams and Fears

Dream, Nightmare, or Both?
Dream, Nightmare, or Both?

The Hermit. Time alone to contemplate the mysteries of the universe, to sort myself out, to pull away from outside influences and distractions.
Of course this is wonderful and appeals to me. But isolation can make a person weird. The mind runs off into pretend conversations that replace the real ones it isn't having. Oddly, focus can be hard to find in isolation. I struggle with this all the time.

Are the Hermit's arms open in rapture or anguish? It could be either. It could be both.
Dreams and Fears indeed.
chiscotheque
Sage

Post by chiscotheque »

and isn't it amazing where you can find the tarot archetypes?
Thanks Nemia, and yes it is amazing how when and where one finds archetypes. but then, that i guess is the essence of archetypes and why in part, and at heart, the Tarot works at all.

In making my decks, i was very careful and focused on the card's archetypes and allocations. like anything, sometimes the obvious choice was the right one, and sometimes it didn't stand up on inspection. this led to solutions which on the surface could confuse, seem strange or arbitrary, or otherwise disconcert. these are structural issues which most people don't concern themselves with; that lack of concern is understandable, but it can lead one to think their cursory view is workable when in fact it hasn't been tested. In testing or assaying these things sometimes they stand up and sometimes the foot goes through the floor - and this is exactly where it gets interesting. facing facile assumptions and seeing past surfaces. again, this is in part how the tarot works - as does life, of course, very often, but tarot is a "safe place" for it to happen.

i have a number of projects in various stages of completion - but won't (and frankly can't) proceed with them until the fundamental structure is in place - a structure that holds up. even if putting one's foot through the floor here or there - like a funhouse - is actually part of the structure.

for the last couple of months i've been working through the Golden Age of Hollywood tarot (aside from a sojourn to participate in the Sacred Days of Yule) and i only have a few cards left. It's been fun and enlightening for me - it's one of the highlights of my day. The co-creator of the Beatles Tarot, Dodalisque here on CoT, and I plan to spend some time walking through the Shakespeare Tarot deck in the Secret Files section starting in a month or so. which means i probably will be scarce around here. but i certainly have enjoyed it and hope more people participate.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

chiscotheque wrote: 07 Jan 2019, 18:48
and isn't it amazing where you can find the tarot archetypes?
Thanks Nemia, and yes it is amazing how when and where one finds archetypes. but then, that i guess is the essence of archetypes and why in part, and at heart, the Tarot works at all.
I don't know what kind of books you like to read exactly, but I'm reading one now that appeals to my sensibility very much and think it might be of interest to both of you based on what I do know about your interests in art and film.

It's called "The Creative Tarot: A Modern Guide to an Inspired Life" by Jessa Crispin.

Like a lot of tarot books, she goes card by card (although in a different order than most) and discusses each card's meaning. But what makes it really interesting and fun to me, is for each card she uses the lives and work of various artists of all kinds to help describe the archetype of each card. She sometimes tells you what to google to find paintings or poems that will help you understand and approach a card from a different direction. She tells stories from an artist's life when those stories exemplify the meaning of a card.

Then at the end of each description she will suggest 3 or 4 pieces of art to help you further. It may be a painting or poem you can google on the spot, or a movie you should see, a piece of music you could listen to and books, I've already ordered a couple of the books she recommended. None of the recommendations are directly related to Tarot. The idea is to get you thinking from other directions.

Just some quick random examples, for the 9 of Swords she recommends:
The Temptation of St. Anthony, engraving by Martin Schongauer
Insomnia, film directed by Erik Skjoldbjaeg
The Nightmare, painting by Henri Fuseli

for Strength
The Gift, book of poetry by Hafiz
Survival in Auschwitz, book by Primo Levi
Dialogue with Death, book by Arthur Koestler

for The Magician
The Tempest, Shakespeare
The Juggler, painting by Chagall
the paintings of Hilma Klint

For The Empress
"Feeling Good" by Nina Simone
etc. etc.

I wish I could list them all for you. Vaclav Havel, Frederick Douglas, Ziggy Stardust, Milos Forman, Franz Schubert, Jeanne Mammen, it's just an amazing compendium of artworks and artists and stories about them and all related to the tarot archetypes.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Tuesdays, ruled by Mars: Conflicts and Challenges

tuesday.jpg

My birthday is in the middle of January so for most of my life, I have used the time between New Years and my birthday as a kind of "soul cleanse" (with varying degrees of success). To avoid the rush to try to pull together all my feelings and goals by Jan 1st with everybody else, my "New Year" starts in mid-January on my birthday. There has to be some advantage to having a birthday during such a cold, dark, dull time of year. (I have always envied people with summer birthdays. You don't know how lucky you are!)

So this card, the Death card, suits me quite well right now as I contemplate the things I would like to let go of and the better me I envision and hope to become.
chiscotheque
Sage

Post by chiscotheque »

"The Creative Tarot: A Modern Guide to an Inspired Life" by Jessa Crispin"
Thanks for this suggestion, Joan Marie. I don't know the book, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

curiously, on a facebook tarot group i'm in, i think connected to the tarot reviewer Simon who runs The Hermit's Cave, someone recently posted a picture from a deck they have of the 9 of swords which uses Fuseli's sketch of the Nightmare. i chimed in that i found it unconscionable to simply use someone else's art in a deck you claim to've made. but many people agreed Fuseli's picture suited the 9/swords.

to be totally honest, i'm quite opinionated when it comes to art, music, & literature, and while none of the examples you mentioned rubbed me the wrong way [Renoir, for instance, wasn't mentioned], almost none of them are artists that move me in any way. still, i will keep an eye out for it.

at the moment i am reading a book by Margreta de Grazia called Hamlet Without Hamlet, Krakauer's From Caligari To Hitler, and Sallie Nichols' Jung & Tarot.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Wednesdays, ruled by Mercury: Interactions and Change
wednesday.jpg

It took me a minute but I think I see what this card wants me to know. I've had a lot of good information lately about some different things I am working on. Helpful, insightful, practical and inspirational information. But none of it will do me any good if I don't pull it together and apply it. All the good intentions in the world won't help if the will is weak.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Thursdays, ruled by Jupiter: Power and Influences

Four of Cups
Four of Cups

The four of cups has been looming large for me lately. It has turned up in some extensive readings I have been doing for myself with various decks. The card indicates an opportunity being missed or some kind of message, inspiration or idea that I am missing because I am reluctant (or unable) to look away from what I know or understand already.

Turning up now, on Power and Influences day makes me think this thing I am missing is even more important than I already thought it was. The depiction in this deck, the Haindl, is at least a little more hopeful but I have to escape some heaviness that is got hold of me.

As weird and random as this sounds, I have the sense there is something in my diet that is making me a bit slow or dull-witted. I have a feeling I know what it is, of course something I love to eat, but maybe the fact I like it so much would make forgoing it even more powerful. I feel like these things are connected, this dull/tired feeling I have in general and my inability to see this thing, this idea or whatever it is I am missing, this fourth cup.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Fridays, ruled by Venus: Love and Attraction

3 of "Stones"
3 of "Stones"

I have to be honest. This particular depiction of the 3 of stones/coins/pents/whatever does not particularly move me.
However, the more Rider-Waite-y depictions do and also seem pertinent to the meaning of this card for me today.

This card is about working together with people and relying on the different talents and perspectives they bring. It is also a warning to not let ego intrude which can be difficult when opinions or styles don't quite meet up at first sight.

This fits so well with today's endeavour to get a brainstorming session going with people here to develop this forum. There is a palpable love. So much energy and feeling has been invested in the forum and everyone feels a bit of ownership in it and that is wonderful to know.

And as I prepare to compose a newsletter to get more people to participate and brainstorm with us, attraction is a key thing I hope to be able to conjure.
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

I bought the Crispin book. Tarot has built so many new synapses in my brain :-) it's wonderful!

Return to “My Planetary Week”