This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

I - The Magus (Thoth)

A place for beginners and experienced alike to delve into the Mysteries of Tarot's most enigmatic deck.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussions regarding the study and appreciation the the Thoth Tarot.
ParsifalsWheel
Seer

I - The Magus (Thoth)

Post by ParsifalsWheel »

I The Magus
I The Magus

Aleister Crowley's "divinatory thumbnail" for the Magus reads:

"Skill, wisdom, adroitness, craft, cunning, deceit, theft. Sometimes occult wisdom or power, sometimes a quick impulse, a 'brain wave.' It may imply messages, business transactions, the inference of learning or intelligence with the matter at hand."

This is pretty standard fare for what might be called a "will and skill" card that comes under the dominion of Mercury: it has the will (that is, the resolve) to pursue an objective and the skill to successfully pull it off. The observation that fascinates me is the last one, which I read as the detrimental effect of intelligence on matters that should be purely instinctual in their execution. Body-memory trumps cognitive memory when an instantaneous reaction is demanded; stop and think for a split second and you could be dead (or at least out of the running).

Here is my own write-up from my blog:

"In practical terms, this card often represents the desire for new creative experiences, bolstered by a consummate finesse that can be brought to bear in their pursuit, and the willpower to see things through; thus, the ability to turn ideas into reality through the rigorous application of innovative methods. He channels spiritual enlightenment from “above” via the wand in his raised right hand and directs it with his lowered left hand into the “below” of concrete manifestation. Focus, concentration, motivation, goal-orientation, organization, coordination, communication and a willingness to take risks are all present in abundance, making it a good portent for the success of any initiative or enterprise. Discrimination between various points of view is part of the process of self-realization implied by this card. Subtlety and artifice are also suggested, such that it can be difficult to tell whether truth or falsehood holds the upper hand, and whether the Magician will pursue his ends by “fair means or foul.” The medieval legacy of this personage conveys the notion that he is is not someone to be trusted unconditionally."

Return to “Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot”