This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

The Serpent in Thoth

A place for beginners and experienced alike to delve into the Mysteries of Tarot's most enigmatic deck.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussions regarding the study and appreciation the the Thoth Tarot.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

The Serpent in Thoth

Post by Joan Marie »

I just did a 3 card reading for myself and all three cards have a serpent.

Does anyone out there have any insight into the symbolism of the serpent in the Thoth?

I know I could go dig through some books and maybe find out, but I'm hoping maybe some of you might just know or have an idea.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
BlueStar
Sage

Re: The Serpent in Thoth

Post by BlueStar »

I don't, but this website has quite detailed information on the symbology on all the cards (both major and minor), so it might be helpful:
http://www.esotericmeanings.com/thoth-t ... tutorials/
fire cat pickles
Sage

Post by fire cat pickles »

I don't either, but if you have an online version of the Book of Thoth, you may want to do a search for the word "serpent" and see if there is a pattern. I did earlier this morning very quickly and noticed that the instance of serpent appears in pairs.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

I decided to look for in general what snakes symbolise, and there was a lot about ancient Egypt, which I know was a big influence for Crowley so I decided to go down that rabbit hole. I think this is likely the right track. Snakes appear symbolically throughout history and everywhere, so looking into what probably most influenced him seems logical.

There is a lot. I may spend some time here.

When I come up out of this rabbit hill I'll tell you what I found.

Meanwhile, this is the thing about Tarot to me that makes it so endlessly interesting. The simplest question can lead you down such a path you hadn't even imagined.
Zarakynel
Seeker

Post by Zarakynel »

Joan Marie wrote: 04 Jun 2020, 10:57 I decided to look for in general what snakes symbolise, and there was a lot about ancient Egypt, which I know was a big influence for Crowley so I decided to go down that rabbit hole. I think this is likely the right track. Snakes appear symbolically throughout history and everywhere, so looking into what probably most influenced him seems logical.

There is a lot. I may spend some time here.

When I come up out of this rabbit hill I'll tell you what I found.

Meanwhile, this is the thing about Tarot to me that makes it so endlessly interesting. The simplest question can lead you down such a path you hadn't even imagined.
Joan, would you be able to share what you eventually found out?
The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage.
-- Thucydides
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Zarakynel wrote: 04 Dec 2020, 15:53 Joan, would you be able to share what you eventually found out?
Unfortunately, I did not share that back when I wrote this last summer and I have no recollection now.

I have a mind like a steel sieve.

I will see if I can find my way back to that rabbit hole and this time I will share my results.
Zarakynel
Seeker

Post by Zarakynel »

No worries! I am the same way!

I am new to the forum (and the Thoth Tarot) and really appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge.

I just bought a book so I can start taking notes!

I'm also thinking of buying a snake. I've had two (Pythons - Ares and Aristotle) and really want to get another one.
The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage.
-- Thucydides
A-M
Seer

Post by A-M »

The serpent is the universal symbol of the kundalini energy.
It lies at the core of the Arcana (Secret, Mystery) of the Tarot. (IMHO)

kundalini.jpg

Return to “Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot”