This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Thoth Majors: A Learning Resource

A place for beginners and experienced alike to delve into the Mysteries of Tarot's most enigmatic deck.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussions regarding the study and appreciation the the Thoth Tarot.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Thoth Majors: A Learning Resource

Post by Joan Marie »

I just learned of these videos (Thanks Stronglove!) and want to share them here.

Here is the full playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... OFqWJqcp2M

There is one video for each card of the Thoth Majors and the guy goes in depth into all the symbols and correspondences for each card.
It's really amazing.

A lot of work to get through them all, but they are well organised and very complete.

There are also playlists for the Courts and Minors. I am posting those as well.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Monk
Sybil

Re: Thoth Majors: A Learning Resource

Post by Monk »

Dear Joan Marie,

Remarkable you come up with this stuff! This is getting a bit odd :shock:

I decided a little while ago I'd devote some serious time to investigating the Thoth. The very moment I decided to consider Thoth an option this youtube channel jumped into my lap. All the resources one could ever need. Very in depth and detailed. A gold mine.
When I found the channel I'm like: this will be my go to place.. Funny thing is he starts off his introduction to the Thoth in an astrological perspective with Sagittarius, which is me. Explains the whole thing how things work would any one be a Sagittarius. That IS GENIOUS for me :D

Odd how reality seems to fold with us sometimes when we go about our business.

Great you supported this by mentioning it here.

Namaste,
Monk
Premier Principes Tarot is about to launch on Kickstarter - follow below to get updated.
-Premier Principes Tarot- https://www.instagram.com/premier_principes_tarot/
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Monk wrote: 23 Jan 2020, 17:32

Nothing odd about it at all. Jung called it synchronicity. In my jargon, it's called "seek and thee shall find, knock and it shall be opened unto thee". My jargon is much more poetical ! 🌷
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Monk
Sybil

Post by Monk »

Diana wrote: 23 Jan 2020, 18:36
Monk wrote: 23 Jan 2020, 17:32

Nothing odd about it at all. Jung called it synchronicity. In my jargon, it's called "seek and thee shall find, knock and it shall be opened unto thee". My jargon is much more poetical ! 🌷
In the mean time the plot thickened. I used a brand new Thoth Gold Edition deck the night before. Asked: "What does the Magician in me have to say to my conscious self?"

Pulled intuitively from a fan, placed single a card, center of area and flipped it over, mindful with the question. T'was the Unicursal Hexagram. Some how I failed to take it out. My bad. I do appreciate the decks gesture though :) I felt humbled in fact, as if welcomed into someones house! What happened next is also remarkable. I thought to myself "well that was friendly" but decided that it was appropriate to pull another card. Funnily I decided that it would make sense to take the top card of the deck I just set aside. I'd normally never do that. Anyways ..again, mindful: "what does my inner Magician have to say to my conscious self?" Draw the card, place center and flip it. Art (temperance) which is me (Sag.)and the card I meditated on the most.

To a certain Diana: You did not suggest Thoth to me, the universe planned for this :lol:
Premier Principes Tarot is about to launch on Kickstarter - follow below to get updated.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Monk wrote: 24 Jan 2020, 19:31

To a certain Diana: You did not suggest Thoth to me, the universe planned for this :lol:
To a certain Monk: Who or what do you think suggested to me to suggest it to you ? 😮 Indeed. I mean, who would think Diana would suggest a Thoth to someone? (But we still have to discuss one day Crowley's idea of a perfect world government... it's pretty creepy. I just hear heavy black boots marching when I think of it.)
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Monk
Sybil

Post by Monk »

Diana wrote: 24 Jan 2020, 20:33
Monk wrote: 24 Jan 2020, 19:31

To a certain Monk: Who or what do you think suggested to me to suggest it to you ? 😮 Indeed. I mean, who would think Diana would suggest a Thoth to someone? (But we still have to discuss one day Crowley's idea of a perfect world government... it's pretty creepy. I just hear heavy black boots marching when I think of it.)
I've started the chapter in the book of Thoth about the majors. Which means I plowed through 40 something pages of introduction to Crowleys take on Kabbalah, astrology, eastern religious snippets, magic you name it. That is one hefty read. So far I could take one more Major's explanation (Fool) before having to put the book aside. The writing style is just so extremely thick, (exaggeratedly) elaborate. I managed to do 47 pages in 6 hours! I hope I pick up speed later on.

To that particular Diana, I'm starting to see why you mentioned I should read into Thoth. I am reading words and concepts I used here and there when we were discussing certain aspects that draw me to cartomancy. They are from the Crowleyverse it turns out and you were right to suggest it to me. There is no way back to RWS and TDM now.. And I do mean to take your thoughts on the black boots in the streets serious. Any references?

M
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

Monk wrote: 27 Jan 2020, 07:29 And I do mean to take your thoughts on the black boots in the streets serious. Any references?

I need to find the specific paper I'm referring to. It's not bookmarked so I need to search for it. But his ideas on this are scattered throughout many of his works, some obvious some more oblique. But there's one paper that I'd like to find and when I do, I'll give you the reference. He's written such a wealth of materials that it's not easy to find what one is looking for.

It's a very utopic concept that he has. And utopia is just an inverted dystopia. It's this utopia/dystopia that made me shudder. And how the spiritually enlightened (the OTO top guys and maybe women, but due to his misogyny, I suspect he dreamed they'd be peopled with men) will be at the top of a strict hierarchy and the ignorant masses below them and they will guide them to the light. I think Crowley speaks somewhere of a "benevolent dictatorship" but I need to check if that's exactly the term he used.

Edited to add : I think to understand Crowley, one should also study Nietzsche as he had a big influence on him. (It's a difficult word to spell "Nietzsche". Nietzsche considered himself to be a Pole oddly enough. He said once : I thank heaven that in all of my instincts I am a Pole and nobody else.)
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

If you are interested in learning more about Crowley, I'd suggest reading some scholarly works on him and his work of which there are many.

Lon Milo DuQuette has written several.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Aoife
Sybil

Post by Aoife »

There’s a wealth of material at Aeclectic - www.tarotforum.net
See Tarot Special Interest > Thoth Tarot.
The ‘sticky’ index is at the top.

Return to “Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot”