This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

O.B.O.D Bardic Training

Discussions of the journeys we make towards something greater, or at least more interesting!
CharlotteK
Sage

O.B.O.D Bardic Training

Post by CharlotteK »

I just got my first set of lessons (Gwersi) from Order of Bards Ovates and Druids for the Bardic grade and I'm really excited to get started.

Has anyone else done any of the OBOD druid training? I know we can't discuss the lessons themselves just interested in hearing from others that may have started on this path :)
ParsifalsWheel
Seer

Re: O.B.O.D Bardic Training

Post by ParsifalsWheel »

I looked into it after reading John Michael Greer's Druidry Handbook but didn't pursue it. I still occasionally get a newsletter but haven't seen one in a while. I figured I will do self-study and solitary practice when the spirit moves me again.
BreathingSince72
Sage

Post by BreathingSince72 »

CharlotteK wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 12:13 I just got my first set of lessons (Gwersi) from Order of Bards Ovates and Druids for the Bardic grade and I'm really excited to get started.

Has anyone else done any of the OBOD druid training? I know we can't discuss the lessons themselves just interested in hearing from others that may have started on this path :)
CharlotteK,

I am a member of OBOD! I have the entire Bardic course! Remarkable, isn’t it? If you ever want a study buddy, I would be happy to join you. Of course, I won’t go past the lessons you are on....I’m sure you have seen the boards. The only thing I have not done is reach out to my mentor. She’s in the UK. I think I’ll write her a letter today.

I would really love to hear your experience with the course and am happy to share mine.

May the Awen be yours...until we chat again!
Victoria
The opposite of truth is falsehood but the opposite of one profound truth may well be another profound truth.
BreathingSince72
Sage

ParsifalsWheel wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 15:56 I looked into it after reading John Michael Greer's Druidry Handbook but didn't pursue it. I still occasionally get a newsletter but haven't seen one in a while. I figured I will do self-study and solitary practice when the spirit moves me again.
If you are interested in solitary study, an interesting starting point might be “The Awen Alone” by Joanna Van Der Hoeven. I also have some John Michael Greer in paper and on kindle.

Victoria
The opposite of truth is falsehood but the opposite of one profound truth may well be another profound truth.
CharlotteK
Sage

Post by CharlotteK »

BreathingSince72 wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 18:00
CharlotteK wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 12:13 I just got my first set of lessons (Gwersi) from Order of Bards Ovates and Druids for the Bardic grade and I'm really excited to get started.

CharlotteK,

I am a member of OBOD! I have the entire Bardic course! Remarkable, isn’t it? If you ever want a study buddy, I would be happy to join you. Of course, I won’t go past the lessons you are on....I’m sure you have seen the boards. The only thing I have not done is reach out to my mentor. She’s in the UK. I think I’ll write her a letter today.

I would really love to hear your experience with the course and am happy to share mine.

May the Awen be yours...until we chat again!
Victoria
Oh wow another Bard! That's brilliant. I would love a study buddy 😁😁😁

I am struggling to get onto the boards at the moment and couldn't register even with the passwords even contact an admin. But I will keep trying and will ask for a mentor. I'm in the UK and there is a grove about 25 miles away I think. I'll be a solitary pathwalker for the most part but will definitely try and get to the grove for Samhain.

Do you practice alone or with others?
BreathingSince72
Sage

Hi CharlotteK,

I tend to practice alone although I paid the extra fee so my eldest daughter and I could share goers. Did they send you the autumn equinox ritual? Typically they send Touchstone, four Gwersi, some supplementary material and the upcoming seasonal celebration. I have the lessons on CD as well. I’m so excited you’re in OBOD...such an amazing group of people.

I don’t remember specifically who you are supposed to address tech issues to but you might want to send an email to steph@druidry.org...I think that’s it. She’s in on Tuesdays for sure but I don’t recall the other days...unless her schedule has changed.

Did you know the chosen chief is changing? Next year, I believe.

Victoria
Flaxen
Seer

Post by Flaxen »

Well this is interesting! I’ve been thinking about following the O.B.O.D. course for a while and it keeps popping back into my mind or I’ll read something linked to it.

Seeing your thread adds a further nudge. :D
CharlotteK
Sage

Post by CharlotteK »

Flaxen wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 12:51 Well this is interesting! I’ve been thinking about following the O.B.O.D. course for a while and it keeps popping back into my mind or I’ll read something linked to it.

Oh Flaxen please sign up and then I get someone else to talk to about the course 😁😁😁 The materials I have had so far are amazing. I haven't felt this passionate about starting something for a very long time.
Flaxen
Seer

Post by Flaxen »

CharlotteK wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 15:18 Oh Flaxen please sign up and then I get someone else to talk to about the course 😁😁😁 The materials I have had so far are amazing. I haven't felt this passionate about starting something for a very long time.
I get paid again next week and will do it then. 😀
BreathingSince72
Sage

CharlotteK wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 15:18 [quote=Flaxen post_id=2386 time=<a href="tel:1534769505">1534769505</a> user_id=62]
Well this is interesting! I’ve been thinking about following the O.B.O.D. course for a while and it keeps popping back into my mind or I’ll read something linked to it.

Oh Flaxen please sign up and then I get someone else to talk to about the course 😁😁😁 The materials I have had so far are amazing. I haven't felt this passionate about starting something for a very long time.
[/quote]
Flaxen wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 18:42 [quote=CharlotteK post_id=2389 time=<a href="tel:1534778336">1534778336</a> user_id=93]
I get paid again next week and will do it then. 😀
[/quote]

This would be so cool!!!!!
RavenOfSummer
Seer

Post by RavenOfSummer »

I am also in the midst of my Bardic gwersi :) I actually started it a while ago, got sidetracked, and since it had been so long I decided to start again at the beginning a few weeks ago. I recently lost a dear friend who was not only a druid, but to me embodied so much of what druidry is. His passing has made me realize how important druidry is to me and I have recommitted to the course. I'm also a member of my local grove which has recently re-formed as a new seed group, Grove of the Bramble and Moon. So I'm blessed to share the fellowship of other druids throughout the year.

I would be very happy to connect more deeply with those I know through the forum that are taking the course. CharlotteK, welcome to the order! <3
CharlotteK
Sage

Post by CharlotteK »

RavenOfSummer wrote: 22 Aug 2018, 14:04 I am also in the midst of my Bardic gwersi :) I actually started it a while ago, got sidetracked, and since it had been so long I decided to start again at the beginning a few weeks ago. I recently lost a dear friend who was not only a druid, but to me embodied so much of what druidry is. His passing has made me realize how important druidry is to me and I have recommitted to the course. I'm also a member of my local grove which has recently re-formed as a new seed group, Grove of the Bramble and Moon. So I'm blessed to share the fellowship of other druids throughout the year.

I would be very happy to connect more deeply with those I know through the forum that are taking the course. CharlotteK, welcome to the order! <3
Hi there. Thank you and may the Awen be with you :) This is so amazing to hear. I may be in touch with you about the lessons if that's ok with you. Just when I feel like I need to discuss something not constantly 😄
RavenOfSummer
Seer

Post by RavenOfSummer »

CharlotteK wrote: 22 Aug 2018, 20:42
RavenOfSummer wrote: 22 Aug 2018, 14:04 I am also in the midst of my Bardic gwersi :) I actually started it a while ago, got sidetracked, and since it had been so long I decided to start again at the beginning a few weeks ago. I recently lost a dear friend who was not only a druid, but to me embodied so much of what druidry is. His passing has made me realize how important druidry is to me and I have recommitted to the course. I'm also a member of my local grove which has recently re-formed as a new seed group, Grove of the Bramble and Moon. So I'm blessed to share the fellowship of other druids throughout the year.

Hi there. Thank you and may the Awen be with you :) This is so amazing to hear. I may be in touch with you about the lessons if that's ok with you. Just when I feel like I need to discuss something not constantly 😄
Absolutely. Please feel free, any time <3
Flaxen
Seer

Post by Flaxen »

My course materials have arrived. :D Reading through, it’s quite inspiring! Looking forward to working my way through the gwersi.
CharlotteK
Sage

Post by CharlotteK »

Flaxen wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 18:11 My course materials have arrived. :D Reading through, it’s quite inspiring! Looking forward to working my way through the gwersi.
Yippee! I'm so pleased you are doing this too.

I've just started the Introductory Gwers 2 after journaling my experience with the Intro Gwers 1. I'm going to take my time with it all because like you I think the materials are special and I don't want to rush through them.
BreathingSince72
Sage

CharlotteK wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 21:13
Flaxen wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 18:11 My course materials have arrived. :D Reading through, it’s quite inspiring! Looking forward to working my way through the gwersi.

I've just started the Introductory Gwers 2 after journaling my experience with the Intro Gwers 1. I'm going to take my time with it all because like you I think the materials are special and I don't want to rush through them.
It really is wonderful material, worthy of savoring.
archimedes
Sage

Post by archimedes »

BreathingSince72 wrote: 28 Aug 2018, 03:09
CharlotteK wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 21:13

It really is wonderful material, worthy of savoring.
Wondering how you're both progressing with your training. I've been thinking of doing a course - possibly the BDO one rather than the OBOD, but I'm not sure.
This is just my opinion. Your mileage may vary. My statement of my belief is not a criticism of your belief.
pinktarotic
Seeker

Post by pinktarotic »

I tried it years ago but I have found it very dogmatic, as in every spiritual practice really. Also, there is very little left of druids and their history so a lot is New Age and made up.
archimedes
Sage

Post by archimedes »

pinktarotic wrote:
I tried it years ago but I have found it very dogmatic, as in every spiritual practice really. Also, there is very little left of druids and their history so a lot is New Age and made up.
I think that could be said of many faiths, and they are transparent about that.I'm not sure that being a reconstruction means it doesn't have value. It's a unique and valuable worldview. I do feel it could use a little less Wiccan influence. I'm not a great fan of the shapeless white cotton robes, either. Very 18th century.

The main thing I have issues with in any course is if there are lacking acknowledgement of sources and or incorrect information. Robust research is important.

That it draws on a range of sources is fine, and I think these could provide a good grounding.
This is just my opinion. Your mileage may vary. My statement of my belief is not a criticism of your belief.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

i would totally join a Druid softball league though.

The white robes could really add an extra dimension.

-Sorry, I don't mean to make fun. I've never looked into this. I'm fascinated by ancient cultures and rituals. Learning about them gives great perspective to modern life.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
archimedes
Sage

Post by archimedes »

Joan Marie wrote: 08 Aug 2021, 06:59 i would totally join a Druid softball league though.
-Sorry, I don't mean to make fun.
😆 I think we need to retain the ability to laugh at ourselves

Return to “Exploring the Spiritual Paths”