This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Breathwork, anyone?

Discussions of the journeys we make towards something greater, or at least more interesting!
Libra
Sage

Breathwork, anyone?

Post by Libra »

Back in Autumn, I took Lindsay Mack's Tarot for the Underworld course, which included a live breathwork session hosted by Amy Kuretsky (truth be told, the breathwork was actually sold me on the course!) and I have to say that it was something that I consider life changing. The whole day after the session, it was like a natural high - akin to my experiences with Blue Lotus, where within every act, it was easy to see a path to love or care (it's a hard one to explain, but something simple as doing dishes becomes transcendental.) As well, in the long term, my ability to deal with stress and anxiety skyrocketed. It's a practice that I've been coming back to more and more regularly because to the benefits that I've seen in myself from it.

Does anyone else practice breathwork?

And if you don't but are interested - Amy is hosting another online session coming up, with an astrology session with it!
It's during my workday but I'm honestly considering moving my shift around to make it work. https://www.amykuretsky.com/events/astro-bw-virtual
Intuitive tarot to inspire & empower @ www.ResonatingReadings.com
Papageno
Sage

Re: Breathwork, anyone?

Post by Papageno »

Libra wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 17:48
Does anyone else practice breathwork?
I don't practice breathwork or other Yoga related exercises, but I will concede that there is certainly a great deal of merit to be derived from them, so I will certainly give your post a thank you.
Rocket Raccoon: Blah, Blah, Blah.....
Ciderwell
Sage

Post by Ciderwell »

I do Breathwork almost every day. Recently I've been thinking of how this relates to the elements of Tarot.

I was reading about the Air we breathe.
What I find interesting is that air consists of 78% Nitrogen, 21% Oxygen, and 1% Argon, when we breathe in. Then 78% Nitrogen, 24.1% Oxygen, 4.4% Carbon Dioxide, and 1% Argon, when we breathe out.
The body it seems has no use for Nitrogen or Argon, though we know that life on Earth could not exist without them.

So when doing Breathwork I can now imagine how Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide appear to carry Nitrogen and Argon into and out of the body's respiratory system. As if it were those gases and not oxygen making the body's energy centres revolve and spin, just like Coins.
Rather puzzling really, as Air is usually the element of Swords.
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

Could it be that constant breathing in of pure oxygen would not be a good thing for our sort of life on Earth and that we need something to 'dilute' the oxygen? I'd imagine that the air we breathe has changed somewhat over the time we've been on Earth. But of course we have changed too I daresay. Erm... now I shall have to go and look this up... :D

It reminds me of the Douglas Adams story of the puddle. The water in a puddle became conscious and looked around. This world is exactly the right size and shape for me, he thought - clearly it has been made especially for me!

Wim Hof and a cold shower every morning for the last month. I can't believe I'm managing the cold shower - it's icy these mornings.
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream...

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Ciderwell
Sage

Post by Ciderwell »

Wim Hof - "Heightened oxygen levels hold a treasure trove of benefits"
Pen wrote: 12 Dec 2021, 12:01Could it be that constant breathing in of pure oxygen would not be a good thing for our sort of life on Earth and that we need something to 'dilute' the oxygen?
I'm sure the body's senses are highly efficient at filtering out a great deal of reality. I think it was Freud who said that society can't function without suppression. A Victorian attitude maybe, but not without some truth even in today's world.
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

A very simple straightforward explanation of what happens if you breathe pure oxygen Here.

(I know it's for kids, but I like it) :D

All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream...

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Ciderwell
Sage

Post by Ciderwell »

Pen wrote: 12 Dec 2021, 12:01I'd imagine that the air we breathe has changed somewhat over the time we've been on Earth. But of course we have changed too I daresay. Erm... now I shall have to go and look this up... :D
Well, Mr.Wikipedia says that Argon is more abundant in the Air than it was in days gone by! Because it's produced by the decay of Potassium-40. Argon gets its name from the Greek word meaning 'lazy', (or, lazy gas). 8-)

Adding this into Breathwork and the Tarot made me realize how 'batons' is close to the word 'bones'. Using the skeletal system to channel air flow through the body can be a great way to de-stress the chest, shoulders, and neck muscles. Of course overdoing it will lead to 'lazy bones' :lol:
... all good things in moderation.

A really groovy bone is the Atlas bone at the base of the neck, or top of the spine depending on your point of view. If you know your Greek myths it is interesting to note that Atlas holding the world on his shoulders is mainly a modern depiction. His punishment was actually to guard the Greek garden of Eden, where the Golden Fleece was kept hidden away from man.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

I'm really happy to see this thread/topic revived.

I've taken up running in the last year and my biggest challenge is breathing capacity. I just remembered a book I have about breathing and went digging around and found it.
breath 01.jpg
breath 02.jpg
breath 03.jpg

I don't recall where I got this book, it was a long time ago. I think it is from the 1920s. Maybe earlier. It doesn't say anywhere but for some reason I think that.

Years ago I did read it and was quite into it, but lost the thread of it along the way. I'm going to look into it again and share some things, but one thing I recall because it was kind of funny, is that there is an upper lobe in one of the lungs that gets sort of ignored because to get air into it, properly, you have to kind of focus and "push" the air up into it. It's funny because I was showing someone how to do it and he said it sounded good but the face I made "pushing the air" upward into it looked totally silly.

There is a lot here about the health benefits of "proper"breathing and the role in blood purification.

In any case, this book a classic of the times, the "get back to nature" movements of the 1920s that were happening everywhere. Along with a rise in Occultism! ;)
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Ciderwell
Sage

Post by Ciderwell »

Ah yes, I never did thank you for posting that meditation exercise a long while back. When you encouraged us to think of our surroundings, spreading good will outwards until the entire planet was enveloped in a kind of benediction. There is much wisdom in this unassuming practice!

I live in the central area of the city and it's peculiarity is that every street here has nice buildings on one side and run down buildings on the other. You'd have to see to believe it; very odd. Anyway, next to where I live there are those 50's concrete block housing that now look very drab, damp, and bordering on slums -
I would picture them covered in hanging gardens, with exotic flowers and sparkling fountains ...

They are now being emptied for demolishment, and modern housing will take its place.
I'm glad I took the time to wish the area well when I did. I'll now have to look around for another ugly spot 8-)
Tanga
Seeker

Post by Tanga »

Libra wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 17:48 ...The whole day after the session, it was like a natural high - akin to my experiences with Blue Lotus, where within every act, it was easy to see a path to love or care (it's a hard one to explain, but something simple as doing dishes becomes transcendental.) As well, in the long term, my ability to deal with stress and anxiety skyrocketed.

...Does anyone else practice breathwork?
Been out of practice of any kind of meditation presently, I tend to bounce up and down with this & just getting back into it again.
I understand well your description of the aftermath of a great session (also from other forms of meditation).
It's akin to a 'peak experience' = a complete calm and connectedness with the Universe...

One can also turn things like doing the dishes into a meditative exercise - a sensory experience that brings new appreciation.

Over the years I've gone to different classes, & my sister-in-law is a SOMA/Continuum breathwork therapist, so I've done
some work with her too.

Someone mentioned you posting a meditation exercise where you envision spreading good will outwards to the entire planet.
I do forms of this one. Sometimes as a mantra of loving kindness (Metta) and sometimes my vision of good will is a colour that I see spreading outwards. I quite enjoy visualisation.

Many thanks for your post which is a motivational reminder for me :).
“Be Still, like a mountain; Flow, like a deep river” Lao Tsu

~ Allow Yourself To Be Who You Are ~  

Mitakuye Oyasin - “my brothers and sisters - all life is connected"
reall
Sage

Post by reall »

Regular here (started after reading some Russian author who advised to breath little & low as to much oxigen is bad for your helth! :mrgreen:
& combine with reiki mefitation! :D

@Tanga positive energy bacon is my fav! Visualization is Wonderful! Thank You for reminder! :D
curiousanneli
Seeker

Post by curiousanneli »

Sometimes the reader does a lot of sighs of relief while doing tarot readings. Really when it is heavy energy then there is a need to make a sigh of relief. It helps so much. It helps to feel the presence. yem tarot does it that way. and she is good, does free personalized.
YemTarot
*free personalised readings*
emilyn
Seeker

Post by emilyn »

I do Breathwork practically every day. I would admit that there is surely a lot because I am doing this.

Thank you for sharing

Return to “Exploring the Spiritual Paths”