This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Eclectic Personal Pantheism - or my personal spiritual path

Discussions of the journeys we make towards something greater, or at least more interesting!
Nemia
Sage

Eclectic Personal Pantheism - or my personal spiritual path

Post by Nemia »

My personal spiritual journey started in Protestant Christianiy. I grew up in a Lutheran family, my grandmother had Pietist tendencies (she incorporated the principles of the Herrnhuter Gemeine in her life), but my parents were already quite secular. Nevertheless, the power of prayer, recitation, song and conscience exploration stayed with me.

I spent some years in a Catholic school and was fascinated by the colourful spirituality of Catholicism - the devotion to Mary and female saints like St Elizabeth and Therese impressed me as a girl and left me feeling that strict Protestantism is too male-centered, too authoritarian. But then, Catholicism is very authoritarian, too. Catholicism makes rituals so beautiful. I don't need the Pope and dogma to be inspired by paintings, church architecture and other visual expressions of belief.

When I discovered a specific historical chapter of the area I grew up in, I had a feeling of coming home. When Germanic, Celtic, Roman and early Christian religion and cult melt and mixed, I must have been present somehow. The eclectic, undogmatic meeting of different religions in the area of today's Germany, Netherlands and France around the year 0 speaks to me with a powerful voice, especially matron shrines. When I visited their temples, I knew that Christianity alone would never be enough for me, in spite of the strong influence Protestant ethics had on me (exemplified in J.S. Bach's religious music). This Gallo-Roman culture fascinates me. (While searching for links for this post, I saw that tomorrow is another Archeological Day at the place where I bought my Venus statuette - and I can't be there! Maybe I'll ask a friend of mine to go there...)

Already as a child, I loved mythologies, especially Greek mythology - the idea that a spirit lives everywhere, that nature is more than it appears, that it has a life of its own. The most wonderful part was not the many stories about different Gods, although I loved them too and had a large hand-drawn genealogical tree of the Greek Gods next to my desk at home... the most magical part was the idea of nymphs and other nature spirits living around us. (I did have two invisible friends as a child, a male spirit living behind the radiator and talking to me, and a puddle girl appearing in front of my window when it rained... but that was before I learned about Greek mythology). We had some wonderful family holidays in Greece and the temples impressed me deeply. My favorite was and is the Bassae temple.

The Roman religion interested me, too, although it didn't touch me as deeply as the Greek did. I was surprised and happy to learn many years later that [urlhttp://www.deomercurio.be/en/veneri.html]Venus [/url]and Isis reached up to the area where I grew up. I cherish a copy of a Venus statuette found in a village close to the place where I grew up - it symbolizes for me the universal character of the Divine Feminine.

I have often been called a witch, starting in childhood - and over the years, the image of the witch has turned into a very positive one, and I have read a lot about hedge and hearth witchery and identified with it. But I can't belong to a coven or align myself with Wicca etc - there we have the rules and customs again. But I grow my own herbs, collect stones, shells and crystals, and believe in the magic of the hearth, and of self-made shrines and rituals.

Another strong influence on me is astrology and astronomy. If there was a cult of star gazers, celebrating celestial events, I'd be there immediately. I found it's important for my spiritual practice to align myself to celestial events: moon phases, planets, constellations, stars. I connect to the ancient history of the human consciousness and to science, too. The ability of the human spirit to recognize patterns, causalities, correspondences etc - the ability to ask questions, give answers and doubt them again.

Obviously, it was easy for me to connect to Jung's psychology that recognizes these powers, too, and gives them their place in the human experience.

Over the years, I have come to a very personal spiritual practice that includes my Protestant ethic and the idea of a creative force in our universe, the Catholic idea of the Saints as exceptional humans whose spirits remain approachable, the nature religious idea of Earth based spirituality, a special reverence for the maternal principle, a spiritual interest in amateur astronomy (amateur comes from the Latin root amare, to love...), and in the end, the only word I can find for this eclectic mix is Eclectic Pantheism. The ability to perceive and recognize the Divine everywhere, and to connect it to my life. I reached this Pantheism through an eclectic journey, and I practice it alone. I should call it Eclectic Personal Pantheism :-) and found a new world religion ;-) of which I'm the only member!

2018 06 01 Ghosts and Spirits Tarot Hermit.jpg

I was inspired to write this post by my card for today. It's Friday today, the day of the Nordic goddess Freya... very similar to Roman Venus. I'm a Taurus, and Venus is "my" planet. The deck is Lisa Hunt's wonderful Tarot of Ghosts and Spirits, and as Hermit she chose to depict a dryad. So in this card today, everything comes together for me. Tarot, the rhythm of the week and the planets, my own personal planet, the Hermit archetype that connects to my solitary practice, the belief that trees and brooks and every growing thing has a spirit - it's all there.
Pen
Sage

Re: Eclectic Personal Pantheism - or my personal spiritual path

Post by Pen »

I've always called myself a free spirit, but from the fourth paragraph of your post almost everything seems familiar, although I'd have to add the artistic and creative impulse as a necessity. I'm a Taurean too.
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream...

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

Absolutely true. I'm not as talented as you (your ava picture is beautiful, well done!) but I totally and completely agree. Art and creativity belong to the basic elements of human existence, and we starve without it. The beginnings of artistic activity most probably happened in the context of ritual and belief (cave paintings, early statuettes). The first artist may well have been the first priest/shaman/prophet at the same time. All kinds of artistic activity help us reach the "flow" that makes us forget the world and connect with the Divine or however we want to call it.
I Sunshine
Sybil

Post by I Sunshine »

Thank you for sharing your journey, Nemia. It is a beautiful story.
I can relate, especially to the place were you ended up. I took a different path to get there. I had a very different upbringing than yours. Where I have ended is an Earth based spirituality that also encompasses the stars. I did not have the exposure you did to the old shrines or classical places. And I had to make a rather drastic break with the Baptist leaning Evangelical Christian Church (my break with the church very much looked like the Tower card in many different decks, and the song 'Ground Control to Major Tom' played in my head for months). But once that shake up was over, I found that there was so many spiritual paths to explore. I took what I wanted left the rest. I too now shun formal organizations, mostly because power corrupts and that what I see in most of them. I too have my crystals & rocks, herbs & moon rituals. The universe is too majestic, too alive, too mysterious to be mere chance. Some sort of Polytheism that embraces life force in all things resonates with my soul closest. <3
Loca sagitaria
Seeker

Post by Loca sagitaria »

Thank you for sharing. This really resonates with me. Let me know if you start that new religion! ;)
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

Some days ago, I took a walk with a friend in a park of the German city Bonn, a city where the Romans used to rule. Along a path in the park, there were Roman gravestones and shrines. I was so happy to see them. I always feel that I'm in touch with the past, that our human history is so short, so intense...

And here are the pictures from this magical walk.

2018 12 27 Bonn 1.jpg

These are copies, of course, of the shrines and stones found in the area. The originals are in the museum of Bonn but the copies are wonderful. I think these are Jupiter, Juno and Minerva (Zeus, Hera, Athene in Greek terms).

2018 12 27 Bonn 2.jpg

Zeus/Jupiter.

2018 12 27 Bonn 3.jpg

My beloved Matrons.

2018 12 27 Bonn 5.jpg

And an even better Matron stone - and just look at it. People STILL bring them presents. It's the same in every place where such stones are found. People bring flowers, fruit and coins - and often also candles. Very touching.

For me, that was a real highlight.
BreathingSince72
Sage

Post by BreathingSince72 »

There is real power in experiencing art, such as the art of these gravestones. I imagine I would have delighted in a walk like this. I do enjoy cemeteries and have often found myself intrigued by the sculptures and designs used around grave markers and mausoleums... incredible exclamation points on the end of ones life (at least for those who could afford such elaborate things).

I think it is beautiful that there are those who still bring gifts to the area you walked through. There is magic in honoring our history.
The opposite of truth is falsehood but the opposite of one profound truth may well be another profound truth.

Return to “Exploring the Spiritual Paths”