This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

My first time experience with a Tarot deck

A catch-all forum for the things that don't seem to fit elsewhere. (please see guidelines)
Forum rules
FORUM DESCRIPTION & GUIDELINES:
This is the place for Topics, Discussions, Questions, Opinions and things that don't seem to fit within an existing category on the forum.

*IMPORTANT: Please help keep things focused. Feel free to post what you want here as long as it relates to the spirit of the Cult of Tarot. That means Cards of all kinds, Occult, Spiritualism, Astrology etc.

Please don't post technical issues here. For help with technical issues send an email to: support@cultoftarotforum.com or PM Joan Marie or visit the tech assistance forum.

Thank you so much
Jimbo9112
Seeker

My first time experience with a Tarot deck

Post by Jimbo9112 »

Hi All

I have just received my very first tarot deck and have just started to shuffle the deck. While completing the shuffle and without asking any questions, I had 3 jumpers emerge. The first was the death card, the second was the devil card and the third was the fool card reversed. Has anyone had an experience like this before? I believe the cards might have been reading me in some way but have no idea what these cards suggest.
Charlie Brown
Sage

Re: My first time experience with a Tarot deck

Post by Charlie Brown »

Honestly 99%+ of the comments similar to this come from brand new readers. The simple truth is that you aren't experienced in handling your deck and it's, as of yet, probably not properly shuffled. Get some basic technique—both intellectual and physical—before worrying about things like jumpers, stalkers, etc.

Congratulations on your acquisition.
I believe in Crystal Light.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Re: My first time experience with a Tarot deck

Post by Joan Marie »

I have to agree with Mr. Brown here. I also don't think "jumpers" are an indication of much other than clumsiness. If the deck is "trying to tell you" anything it's probably that you need to work on your technique.

Can you imagine a real Tarot professional reader or other sage-type shuffling and dropping the cards? And then trying to say there was something magical about it?

But here is a shuffling tip, nothing special but it might heip.

I give the whole deck a good overhand shuffle.
I lay the cards out one-by-one into 8 piles.
I shuffle each pile then combine them into 4 piles.
I shuffle each of those.
Then I combine those into 2 piles.
Shuffle each of those.
The combine into one and give it a good oveheand shuffle.

I do this with every new deck and then whenever I feel like a deck needs a re-fresh.

I good sign your deck needs a refresh is of you keep pulling up the same cards over and over.

Shuffling just takes some practice and finding what works best with your hands.
I used to shuffle holding the cards horizontally but then I saw someone doing it vertically and found that works better for me too.
Depends on the deck. Some I actually have to split into 2 piles and shuffle because they are too big or too thick for my hands.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚

Return to “Misc. Tarot Topics & Discussion”