This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Majors Only Decks?

A catch-all forum for the things that don't seem to fit elsewhere. (please see guidelines)
Forum rules
FORUM DESCRIPTION & GUIDELINES:
This is the place for Topics, Discussions, Questions, Opinions and things that don't seem to fit within an existing category on the forum.

*IMPORTANT: Please help keep things focused. Feel free to post what you want here as long as it relates to the spirit of the Cult of Tarot. That means Cards of all kinds, Occult, Spiritualism, Astrology etc.

Please don't post technical issues here. For help with technical issues send an email to: support@cultoftarotforum.com or PM Joan Marie or visit the tech assistance forum.

Thank you so much
jarstudionyc
Seeker

Majors Only Decks?

Post by jarstudionyc »

Let's talk about something that has been on my mind for some time now:

I am an artist about to release a Majors deck, and I often get comments from people who turn their nose up decks that do not contain all 78 cards.

As someone who has always done and loved Majors readings, this shocked me, and I am still perplexed by it. I have found Majors readings to be some of my most powerful. They are usually smaller spreads, but always very helpful and illuminating in terms of getting a bird's eye view of a situation in life.

Do you all do Majors readings? Do you snub Majors-only decks? I am just curious to understand why.

I feel like this could turn into a controversial topic... Maybe I should have posted it in Devil's Advocate. :lol:
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." -J.A. Shedd

-John A. Rice
Creator of the MINDSCAPES Tarot
J.A.R. Studio, NYC
@jarstudionyc
Thelder
Sybil

Re: Majors Only Decks?

Post by Thelder »

First, let me compliment you on your amazingly beautiful and unique art.

At a time when the shallow, cookie-cutter fantasy imagery of so many modern tarot decks is so similar as to be almost indistinguishable from each other, it is refreshing to see an artist create something unique that is full of depth and meaning.

Regarding your question about Major-only decks, I think that anyone who appreciates quality art will buy a deck based on the art, regardless if it has 22 or 78 cards. I have always felt that the tarot is an amazing bargain because for one very reasonable price we receive either 22 or 78 amazing pieces of artwork but do not need a museum's worth of space to store or display the images.

As far as those who read Majors-only vs the complete deck, I know that there is a perception among some that the Majors relate primarily to important spiritual and psychological issues, while the other cards relate more to common day-to-day events, so depending on the answers being sought, there are some who may shy away from Majors-only decks, especially if there are budgetary constraints, and the buyer feels like they are getting a better value for their money by buying a complete deck.

Personally, I own quite a few Majors-only decks, but I purchased them for the art and have never tried reading with them; perhaps I should.
jarstudionyc
Seeker

Post by jarstudionyc »

Thank you for this insight! (And also for appreciating the artwork! ;) )

I find that Majors decks are perfect for three or four-card readings, usually relating to broad questions. Highly recommend trying some; they usually yield very powerful, clear messages.

I'm also a fan of shuffling different decks together (a Majors deck with the pips of another deck and the courts of another, for instance), but that might just be me. My mentor had a vast collection of decks, and when I was learning, we would use a different deck every time. I will always be grateful for that unique experience because I think it really enriched my readings.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." -J.A. Shedd

-John A. Rice
Creator of the MINDSCAPES Tarot
J.A.R. Studio, NYC
@jarstudionyc
JudyK
Sybil

Post by JudyK »

Late to the discussion, as always. I get the same reaction from people when I tell them I read with only 32 playing cards rather than 52. Like more has to be better. I have several majors-only decks and I do use them. Not often, tbh, and usually for myself. They're well-suited for giving direct answers. But I'm aware I'm in the minority, at least outside of continental Europe.
"Read the damn cards" - Camelia Elias

Return to “Misc. Tarot Topics & Discussion”