This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

In Defense of the Art

A catch-all forum for the things that don't seem to fit elsewhere. (please see guidelines)
Forum rules
FORUM DESCRIPTION & GUIDELINES:
This is the place for Topics, Discussions, Questions, Opinions and things that don't seem to fit within an existing category on the forum.

*IMPORTANT: Please help keep things focused. Feel free to post what you want here as long as it relates to the spirit of the Cult of Tarot. That means Cards of all kinds, Occult, Spiritualism, Astrology etc.

Please don't post technical issues here. For help with technical issues send an email to: support@cultoftarotforum.com or PM Joan Marie or visit the tech assistance forum.

Thank you so much
Thelder
Sybil

In Defense of the Art

Post by Thelder »

I would like to apologize in advance if the following post offends anyone, but I think this issue needs to be addressed:

I recently participated in a Kickstarter campaign in which the creator of the tarot deck surveyed the backers about what type of card stock they would prefer. Of those who responded, approximately fifty percent were against using a textured, linen card stock because, based on their past experiences, they felt a linen card stock could negatively impact the artwork. They used words such as “pixelated,” “distorted,” and “fuzzy” to describe the effect that a textured card stock can have on the artwork. I must say that I totally agree with these respondents.

Even if the linen card stock does not “distort” the artwork, it has a tendency to make the images appear a bit dull and lifeless. For example, I have a copy of Cruel Thing Tarot by Luciano Vecchio, which has a smooth finish, and the artwork is vibrant. In comparison, The Lost Hollow Tarot, which has a textured, linen finish, appears dull and lifeless, even though the style and color palette of the artwork is very similar to that of Cruel Thing Tarot. This is just one of a number of examples that I could cite.

I am reluctant to support Kickstarter campaigns that offer linen card stock as a stretch goal because, although the original campaign images might look great, the finished product can look terrible. This did happen on a recent Kickstarter campaign I supported, and it was heartbreaking to see the damage that the textured card stock did to the beauty of the original images.

I would therefore like to make an appeal to both tarot artists and tarot collectors to consider carefully the negative impact that a textured card stock might have on the artwork and to not arbitrarily choose linen card stock just because it is traditionally considered a premium option.

Because so much time, effort, and creativity goes into the artwork, preserving the quality of that artwork should be top priority. I would much rather have quality artwork on substandard card stock than substandard artwork on premium card stock. I would like to suggest that those in search of a tactile experience might wish to satisfy their urges in some other way and leave tarot art undisturbed and dedicated to the realm of the visual senses.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Re: In Defense of the Art

Post by Joan Marie »

I feel the same about the linen cards. I feel like they mute the image, the artwork.
That said, unless you see the images side-by-side (on linen or smooth) most people won't notice and will be thrilled with the feel of the cards, unaware of the cost to the art.

This goes to deeper issues about the current state of tarot card creation/collection business which I have a lot of "feels" about.

Maybe linen finish reminds people of being in Vegas. :lol: Linen finish is the classic finish for playing cards. It's a great finish for that purpose. They are easy to shuffle and feel good and handle well as you play with them.

There are a lot of finishes being used these days which to me are really just gimmicky and trendy and not very practical for tarot. I'm thinking of the hologram finishes which make the cards so slippery they just fly out of your hands and distort the images so badly in some cases they appear totally out of focus unless you hold the card just right. Also very glossy finishes glare in the light making them impossible to see unless you crane your neck to place your head directly over them.

I belong to some deck creator groups and can tell you that people are finding problems with some of the laminated finishes also, in that they are peeling and bubbling.

Not crazy about plastic cards either. Just don't care for the idea of them, more plastic in the world. And the just feel artificial to me and I really don't have issues with "spills" that they always tout as the best reason for them.

Deck printers push these finishes to creators as upgrades and creators turn around present them as "special sauce" to backers and buyers.

And I can tell you that many buyers feel disappointed to get "plain old cards" and are vocal about it and this influences creator decisions because no one is satisfied anymore to only sell a few hundred decks. It must be thousands.

My personal favourite modern card stock is the 350gsm Art paper, matte finish. I have made 4 of the decks I've produced with this and it is the best (in my opinion) for remaining true to the original art. It preserves the depth and richness of color the best that I have found. It is also durable and scratch resistant. They are smooth, sturdy, and feel nice.

They shuffle very nicely once they are broken in just a bit although I can't riffle-shuffle with them. But that bends the cards anyway so I'm not a big fan of that. I have seen people who can riffle-shuffle my decks, but it always makes me cringe when I see it!

I don't mean to denigrate anyone's choices. These are just my opinions. But I think it is important to discuss these things.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
JudyK
Sybil

Post by JudyK »

I'm not offended - I agree with both of you. Linen finish belongs on playing cards. Full stop.
"Read the damn cards" - Camelia Elias
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

Totally agree with all posts so far. I decided to stay with a smooth finish in spite of many requests to offer the option of a linen finish after examining proofs of both finishes. My theory is that the linen finish creates minute shadow lines that 'grey' the colours and slightly obscure the linear qualities of the art - it's enough to notice when comparing the two. Traditional style playing card art is better able to cope with this effect, but I still get those requests.

Re. the holograms, curiosity compelled me to buy one of those Pixie decks when they came out, and they do indeed fly about all over the place, due, I suppose, to the extra smooth (and thick?) plastic needed for the process... :shock:
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream...

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
reall
Sage

Post by reall »

I will just say linen finish is my fav & meant for playing cards aka frequent use & easy shuffle! :D
it may be true it darken images creating shade & textured surface makes it less crisp & guess it may be an issue when we are all used to HD Hi CGI! but personally it reminds me of old oil & canvas paintings! :mrgreen:

Agree 350 Art paper + matt finish may be Best option for Art & therefore most popular ks option! will confirm moment my Button Soup Tarot arrive any day now hopefully! :mrgreen: it may be preferred by collectors But not everyone like it !

I also have few plastic & holo effect cards I find nothing wrong, guess it depends on manufacturer
p.s thegamecrafter got holo option recently & my test person say it shuffles unexpectedly great! :mrgreen:

Glossy cards are only ones on my yikes list unless we talk DV Oracle type than I dont mind! :mrgreen:
reall
Sage

Post by reall »

Ok, as promised my Button Soup Tarot arrived & will share my review on appropriate topic but must say I'm Positively Surprised by cardstock quality & Everything! :D Definitely Great Choice of cardstock & finish for Art representation! Luv Everything! :D :D
Attachments
button soup.jpg
Thelder
Sybil

Post by Thelder »

:)
@jarstudionyc

I just had to take a minute to thank you. I am posting this thank you here rather than in your “Mindscapes: A Tarot Panorama on Kickstarter!” thread because I didn't want this subject to distract from that post or your Kickstarter campaign.

I just happened to see the following response you made on your Kickstarter page to a request for linen card stock:

I actually tried prototypes with linen cardstock, and I didn't like the way it made the artwork look. The cardstock I am using is the best I found that preserved the feel of the original paintings.

Thank you for having the good sense to try prototypes before making a final decision. The delicate features of your beautiful art would most definitely have been negatively impacted by linen card stock.

I have seen so much beautiful tarot art ruined by printing on linen card stock that I have begun advocating against linen card stock, which is why I created this thread titled, “In Defense of the Art”

I only wish more artists like you had the good sense and emotional fortitude to resist the pressure from printers and certain customers to upgrade to linen stock.

I just happened to spot the following photo today. I don't know how anyone can look at this card and not recognize the damage that the linen card stock has done to the artwork.

keymaster.jpg
jarstudionyc
Seeker

Post by jarstudionyc »

Thanks for saying this -- sometimes I feel bad when someone makes very passionate suggestions and I have to quietly talk then down. I'm like, "Trust me -- no one wants these cards to look better than I do!" Haha :lol:

But yes, linen and glossy finishes are a no-go for me. There is also a thickness threshold that takes playing cards more into the realm of kid's flashcards that I don't like.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." -J.A. Shedd

-John A. Rice
Creator of the MINDSCAPES Tarot
J.A.R. Studio, NYC
@jarstudionyc

Return to “Misc. Tarot Topics & Discussion”