This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

17th C. Card Printing in France

A catch-all forum for the things that don't seem to fit elsewhere. (please see guidelines)
Forum rules
FORUM DESCRIPTION & GUIDELINES:
This is the place for Topics, Discussions, Questions, Opinions and things that don't seem to fit within an existing category on the forum.

*IMPORTANT: Please help keep things focused. Feel free to post what you want here as long as it relates to the spirit of the Cult of Tarot. That means Cards of all kinds, Occult, Spiritualism, Astrology etc.

Please don't post technical issues here. For help with technical issues send an email to: support@cultoftarotforum.com or PM Joan Marie or visit the tech assistance forum.

Thank you so much
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

17th C. Card Printing in France

Post by Joan Marie »

card makers.jpg

I saw this painting in a book, The Infinity of Lists, by Umberto Eco.
It's called Manufacture of Playing Cards in a House in Place Dauphine, c. 1680

It can be seen at one of my all time favourite museums anywhere, Musee Carnavalet in Paris.

This image is obviously from Getty Images. I was going to scan it from my book but it runs across two pages so it wouldn't be very nice. Even with the watermark the Getty image is better.

I thought it was interesting to see how cards were made.

The dress code for work was pretty interesting anyway!
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Rachelcat
Sage

Re: 17th C. Card Printing in France

Post by Rachelcat »

And they have office dogs and cats! Probably to keep mice from nibbling the paper.

This is really interesting to see all the steps involved. It looks like they even had quality control.
Please join us in This Week's Deck!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
KoyDeli
Seer

Post by KoyDeli »

If you look through the window to the left-hand side of the Seine, Jean Noblet's house was a couple of blocks behind the houses you see there.
_R_
Sybil

Post by _R_ »

Here is a better quality image, taken from the first volume of D'Allemagne's book.

There used to be a small but cosy hotel in the southern wing, with rooms going all the way up to the top, and scenic views from the rooftop windows.
_R_
Sybil

Post by _R_ »

Here's an aerial view of Paris from Turgot's famous map:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ea/eb/d6 ... d4e341.jpg
The building in the painting is the one situated at the apex of Place Dauphine, right at the centre of the Pont Neuf, the first bridge to the bottom.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

KoyDeli wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 23:38 If you look through the window to the left-hand side of the Seine, Jean Noblet's house was a couple of blocks behind the houses you see there.
😃
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
KoyDeli
Seer

Post by KoyDeli »

I am not sure whose that workshop was, but for an idea of the proximity of some of the cardmakers to each other, I have highlighted on the map from the cardmakers studio illustrated above to the street where Jean Noblet was recorded as living [and possibly has his own studio] in 1659:
NobletMap.JPG
KoyDeli
Seer

Post by KoyDeli »

Here is a map from 1550 of the area, thought to be a copy of one from the 1520s/30s. Note the area in the top highlighted portion inked in blue. The highlighted area below penned in black is what was to become the rue St. Marguerite where Noblet is recorded as living in 1659:
NobletMap2.jpg
JudyK
Sybil

Post by JudyK »

_R_ wrote: 22 Jul 2020, 09:42 Here's an aerial view of Paris from Turgot's famous map:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ea/eb/d6 ... d4e341.jpg
The building in the painting is the one situated at the apex of Place Dauphine, right at the centre of the Pont Neuf, the first bridge to the bottom.
Oh yes, of course! You can see the statue of Henri IV outside the window. That just delights me. 😊
"Read the damn cards" - Camelia Elias
reall
Sage

Post by reall »

he he, vintage press my fav! funny how not much changes! it's still same machines operated by people only different fashion & improved tech! :D
great find JM thanks for sharing! :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

JudyK wrote: 22 Jul 2020, 13:52 Oh yes, of course! You can see the statue of Henri IV outside the window. That just delights me. 😊
I didn't know if that was a window or a poster and was too embarrassed to ask. I guess they needed all that light to work properly!
Please join us in This Week's Deck!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
KoyDeli
Seer

Post by KoyDeli »

In May of this year while searching the online archives of the Bibliotheque Nationale de France [Gallica] I discovered this little gem:

Collection formée par Nicolas DELAMARE sur l'administration et la police de Paris et de la France. LXXXIV Jeux et loteries.

Description :

Contient : Jeux en général ; Jeux de paume (1467-1741) ; Jeu de billard ; Académies, jeux de hasard (1668-1745) ; Jeux militaires, jeu de fortifications ; Cartes, tarots, dés (1583-1751) ; Cartes, contraventions (1665-1666) ; Maîtres cartiers de Paris (1594-1702) : droits de l'Hôpital général ; Cartiers de Rouen ; Cartiers de Tours ; Loteries (1541-1758) ; Inventaire de la loterie ouverte par le sr Peschart, 1657 ; La Banque Royale, 1660 ; Loteries de Dijon, des hôpitaux de Lyon, Greenwich

Which turns out to include a collection of source materials essential for anyone interested in the history of tarot [and other games in general], particular of the period 17th century France. Among the gems to be found there, the 22 Articles of the Statutes and Ordinances of the Jure of Master Cardmakers, 1599:

https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b ... /f177.item

For those to whom it may be of interest, happy browsing!
:D
KoyDeli
Seer

Post by KoyDeli »

KoyDeli wrote: 17 Nov 2020, 04:03 In May of this year while searching the online archives of the Bibliotheque Nationale de France [Gallica] I discovered this little gem:

Collection formée par Nicolas DELAMARE sur l'administration et la police de Paris et de la France. LXXXIV Jeux et loteries.

Which turns out to include a collection of source materials essential for anyone interested in the history of tarot [and other games in general], particular of the period 17th century France. Among the gems to be found there, the 22 Articles of the Statutes and Ordinances of the Jure of Master Cardmakers, 1599:

https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b ... /f177.item
Among its treasures is an Extrait des Registres de Parlement dated 1681 Fait en parliement le vingt dixieme jour du mois de Fevrier mil six cent quatre-vingt-un.

The five-page document concerns a dispute between Jean Noblet, Maitre Cartier & the cardmakers of Paris, versus Merchants of Paris, concerning among other things the rights of sale of various products. Up until this time, as far as I am aware, Jean Noblet's known period of activity was c1659 and c1664, based upon documents known at that time [a rental agreement for him and his wife, Marie Fournier, of 1659; & a contract between the Master Cardmakers of Paris and the General Hospital of 1664].

With this document we are now able to extend his known period of activity from c1659 - c1681:

https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b ... /f215.item
KoyDeli
Seer

Jean Noblet c1647 - c1681

Post by KoyDeli »

KoyDeli wrote: 17 Nov 2020, 04:19
Among its treasures is an Extrait des Registres de Parlement dated 1681 Fait en parliement le vingt dixieme jour du mois de Fevrier mil six cent quatre-vingt-un.

The five-page document concerns a dispute between Jean Noblet, Maitre Cartier & the cardmakers of Paris, versus Merchants of Paris, concerning among other things the rights of sale of various products. Up until this time, as far as I am aware, Jean Noblet's known period of activity was c1659 and c1664, based upon documents known at that time [a rental agreement for him and his wife, Marie Fournier, of 1659; & a contract between the Master Cardmakers of Paris and the General Hospital of 1664].

With this document we are now able to extend his known period of activity from c1659 to c1681:

https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b ... /f215.item
Since that time, via a search of the online National Archives of France & the Geneanet archives, I came across three birth certificates that allow us now to extend Noblet's known activity as a Master Cardmaker from c1647 to c1681; & also to the discovery of another Master Cardmaker by the name of Noblet at that time [1648], Charles Noblet - his relationship to Jean is unknown, but I think it is safe to say he is a relation of Jean Noblet, seeing that he is listed as godfather on the birth certificate of Jean Noblet and his wife Marie Fournier's second child [that we know of], Jean-Baptiste Noblet, 1648.

The first is the birth certificate for Guillaume Noblet, newborn of Jean Noblet, maitre Cartier and Marie Fournier, 3rd of July 1647. Witnessed by Guillaume Fournier, Master Mason, and Catherine Coquelin.

https://en.geneanet.org/archives/regist ... /105063/75

The second is the birth certificate for Jean Baptiste Noblet of parents Jean Noblet, Maitre Cartier and Marie Fournier, 28th October 1648. Witnessed by Jeanne Alouys, wife of Guillaume Fournier, Master Mason. Godfather is Charles Noblet, also a Master Cardmaker.

https://en.geneanet.org/archives/regist ... 63&page=77

The third is the birth certificate for Jean Fournier, son of Guillaume Fournier & Jeanne Halouy, 2nd September 1648. Jean Noblet, master cardmaker is listed as Godfather. Witnessed by Lucie and Guillaume Juvigny.

https://en.geneanet.org/archives/regist ... 63&page=76
KoyDeli
Seer

Post by KoyDeli »

Although it extends somewhat beyond the period subject to this thread, for those who are interested in the Noblet family of cardmakers of Paris, here are some other links that I have been able to find in the online French National Archives and Geneanet in the 18th century:

Charles Noblet, Maitre Cartier, Rue de Rempart, in an inventory of 1727 [possibly relating to his decease? : without full record don't know.]

https://www.siv.archives-nationales.cul ... %20cartier

Charles Noblet, Compagne Cartier, 1762:

https://en.geneanet.org/archives/regist ... p&page=279

Charles Noblet & Jacques Noblet, both Compagne Cartier, 1771 ; also mentioned is their nephew* Jean-Baptiste Lemoine, a Master Cardmaker:

https://en.geneanet.org/archives/regist ... p&page=273

*If I am reading it right, J.B Lemoine is the cousin of the children of Charles Noblet [deceased] & Madeleine Antoinette Damien [his widow] on the father's side [cousin paternel], so presumably the son of a sister of Charles & Jacques Noblet.

As both Charles and Jacques are called Companion Cardmakers at this time, possibly the business went out of Noblet ownership between Master Cardmaker Charles Noblet of 1727 and their time?

To which we may note tentatively D'Allemagne's second mention of a Jean Noblet, à Paris, as being active between 1721-1760. However, as far as I am aware we have found no records of such so far, so either D'Allemagne has made an error here or he had access to some records since lost or misplaced.

Return to “Misc. Tarot Topics & Discussion”