This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Good Beginner's Books

A catch-all forum for the things that don't seem to fit elsewhere. (please see guidelines)
Forum rules
FORUM DESCRIPTION & GUIDELINES:
This is the place for Topics, Discussions, Questions, Opinions and things that don't seem to fit within an existing category on the forum.

*IMPORTANT: Please help keep things focused. Feel free to post what you want here as long as it relates to the spirit of the Cult of Tarot. That means Cards of all kinds, Occult, Spiritualism, Astrology etc.

Please don't post technical issues here. For help with technical issues send an email to: support@cultoftarotforum.com or PM Joan Marie or visit the tech assistance forum.

Thank you so much
Charlie Brown
Sage

Good Beginner's Books

Post by Charlie Brown »

I'm looking to give a beginner's book to someone who doesn't know anything about tarot and am wondering what a good choice might be. I'm particularly looking for something that gives practical advice on how to read with the cards rather than just extended meditations on symbolism or esoteric correspondences. Some of the one's I'm eyeing are:

Tarot Plain and Simple
Llewellyn little book of tarot
Kitchen Table Tarot
Liz Dean's Ultimate Guide
Rachel Pollack's New Tarot Handbook
I believe in Crystal Light.
JudyK
Sybil

Re: Good Beginner's Books

Post by JudyK »

How strange. Someone just asked almost the exact same thing on Facebook. Hmm... 🤔
Anywho, my recommendation was The Easiest Way to Learn the Tarot Ever!! by Dusty White.

"Read the damn cards" - Camelia Elias
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

That was me
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

It might be a bit of a mumsy suggestion but Joan Bunning's book "Learning the Tarot" is nice. Especially if the person is using RWS.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

That looks interesting, but I don't think it's the right choice because it looks like it only uses the celtic cross. I think that's too much for a total beginner. I'd rather she get some simple readings and not be afraid to just flip some cards without a ton of ritual.

It seems like a lot of young women are enjoying that Kitchen Table book. Since it's for a young woman, I'm starting to lean in that direction.

I"m a bit suprised (pleasantly? I'm not sure) that no one so far has suggested Biddy.
JudyK
Sybil

Post by JudyK »

Charlie Brown wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 19:35 That was me
I thought it might be. 😉
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

Now everybody's going to doxx Good Old Charlie Brown.
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

Rocket Raccoon: Blah, Blah, Blah.....
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

Amazon says that they can get me Kitchen Table Tarot by tomorrow, so I ordered it knowing that I can give it a once over and still have time to get a different book if it isn't to my liking.
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

Charlie Brown wrote: 02 Jul 2020, 02:59 Amazon says that they can get me Kitchen Table Tarot by tomorrow, so I ordered it knowing that I can give it a once over and still have time to get a different book if it isn't to my liking.
that's nice, I have a Prime account and NEVER get anything overnight.

However, with that being said, it seems like a good book, but after leafing through a few pages, using the "look inside" feature they have on Amazon, I personally have reservations about whether or not this is the best choice for someone who is completely new to the Tarot.

First of all, she suggests some Rider-Waite Smith decks, well, the 1JJ Swiss is NOT a RWS deck, it's a Besançon style deck, as you well know. A big oversight by the author.

On the positive side, I think it's wonderful that there is a book that promotes and encourages racial and cultural diversity in Tarot decks, that's a big plus.

However, if your "newbie" friend gets side tracked by the suggested New Orleans Voodoo Tarot by Sallie Ann Glassman, he/she is going to have their hands full. It's an ambitious deck that demands serious understanding of the cultural underpinnings and esoteric significances of the Voudon tradition, and you won't grasp those important fine points just by reading the book.

And then there's an entire chapter devoted to being a professional reader.

Are you really buying this book for a beginner?
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

Well, we'll see. There were several 40-year old looking people on Goodreads who said that this is the book that they wish they had starting out. I'm throwing in an RWS (and a bag and a cloth and a piece of obsidian) , so it shouldn't be a problem.

Strangely, on my browser at least, there is no "look inside" option for this book. Are you sure you're looking at the same one?

Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

Charlie Brown wrote: 02 Jul 2020, 04:44 Well, we'll see. There were several 40-year old looking people on Goodreads who said that this is the book that they wish they had starting out. I'm throwing in an RWS (and a bag and a cloth and a piece of obsidian) , so it shouldn't be a problem.

Strangely, on my browser at least, there is no "look inside" option for this book. Are you sure you're looking at the same one?
Here's the link, it's the only Kitchen Table Tarot that I'm aware of, unless you're referring to a different book other than the one by Melissa Cynova:

Amazon - Look Inside Kitchen Table Tarot

edited to add:

apparently there is a book called: Kitchen Table Tarot Guide by Janet Hortox, available through Amazon / Kindle version only:

Kitchen Table Tarot Guide by Janet Hortox

no reviews for this either on GoodReads or Amazon.
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

How strange. Your link just takes me to the main product page where, again, I have no look inside option.
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

Charlie Brown wrote: 02 Jul 2020, 06:05 How strange. Your link just takes me to the main product page where, again, I have no look inside option.
Maybe it's your anti-virus software and/or browser settings.

I wasn't able to see the link you posted until I temporarily "paused protection" for CoT website.
Otherwise, I simply see a small blank space.
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

Well, either way, I'll find out tomorrow. If it doesn't work out I think I'll either go with Barbara Moore or Rachel Pollack. A different book by the latter was extremely helpful to me when I was starting out.
JudyK
Sybil

Post by JudyK »

Charlie Brown wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 19:53 Now everybody's going to doxx Good Old Charlie Brown.
I'll keep it under my hat. 😉 Beside, just 'coz I'm sad and wander aimlessly from tarot group to tarot group doesn't mean others do the same. 🤓
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

Well, I was not happy with Kitchen Table Tarot. I can see why many people like it so much but it isn't what I'm looking for.

I should say that it's very well written. The tone is clear and engaging. My problems are twofold. First, there isn't much about actual reading. No (or very few) example readings, no real info on how to look at the cards together, etc. Second, I just don't approve/of agree with her understanding of the cards meanings. Her pages on the Lovers, for example, are all about romance. The Hanged Man is said to be about letting go and trusting the universe. And there's way too much emphasis on reversals.

I ended up going with Rachel Pollack. I looked inside the Barbara Moore and it was everything I wanted EXCEPT that I thought the card definitions were way too light and under baked.
Rose Lalonde
Sage

Post by Rose Lalonde »

I like James RIckleff's intro plus sample 3 card readings for fictional characters. Was Tarot Tells the Tale, but the reprint is Tarot Reading Explained.
"One mounteth unto the Crown by the moon and by the Sun, and by the arrow, and by the Foundation, and by the dark home of the stars from the black earth." LXV
mark lewis
Seer

Post by mark lewis »

How about this one? I know the author personally and can thoroughly recommend him!

Return to “Misc. Tarot Topics & Discussion”