This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Brighten Up The Day/Evening with Plants & Fun Stuff

A catch-all forum for the things that don't seem to fit elsewhere. (please see guidelines)
Forum rules
FORUM DESCRIPTION & GUIDELINES:
This is the place for Topics, Discussions, Questions, Opinions and things that don't seem to fit within an existing category on the forum.

*IMPORTANT: Please help keep things focused. Feel free to post what you want here as long as it relates to the spirit of the Cult of Tarot. That means Cards of all kinds, Occult, Spiritualism, Astrology etc.

Please don't post technical issues here. For help with technical issues send an email to: support@cultoftarotforum.com or PM Joan Marie or visit the tech assistance forum.

Thank you so much
Pen
Sage

Re: Brighten Up The Day/Evening with Plants & Fun Stuff

Post by Pen »

Sending much love to your poor cat. :heart: :cat2: :heart:

You mentioned his medication earlier in the thread - do you know what's wrong with him?

23CloverLSPTsmall.jpg
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream...

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

Pen wrote: 28 Mar 2020, 08:41 Sending much love to your poor cat. :heart: :cat2: :heart:

You mentioned his medication earlier in the thread - do you know what's wrong with him?
Thank you, Pen ❤️

He has a hyperthyroid condition...... although I suspect there are "other" bad things developing.
So far these "other" symptoms are minor and sporadic, but they are apparent. I'll spare the details.

He takes Methimazole and lately, he seems to be increasingly in need of an anti-emetic.
The Methimazole is a flavored chewable, like a soft dough, so I hide his anti-emetic inside the Methimazole so he's sure to take it all at once.

There's a cure for hyperthyroidism that involves radioactive treatments, and then the cat has to be isolated for several weeks before he''s safe to be reunited with people. I have my own health issues and cannot take that risk to myself (exposure to radiation).

Also, that's a very severe treatment and the cat certainly won't be feeling very happy about it, especially being separated for that period of time.

I'm not one of those people who will subject a pet to severe medical treatment such as major surgery and chemotherapy.
It's hard enough on people, let alone pets, and pets don't understand why they're being put through such misery.

All I can do is make sure he's as well cared for and loved as he's always been, and when the time comes, I'll have him peacefully put to sleep.
It's the reality of life.
Rocket Raccoon: Blah, Blah, Blah.....
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

All I can do is make sure he's as well cared for and loved as he's always been, and when the time comes, I'll have him peacefully put to sleep.
It's the reality of life.
I believe that's for the best, but it's such a hard decision to make. Their little lives are so short compared to ours, but when they no longer feel like eating and seem to take no enjoyment in anything and look at you in that way it's the kindest thing to do. Our vet has come here twice to help beloved aged dogs on their way and it was very peaceful.

daffodilssmall.jpg
daffodilssmall.jpg (184.78 KiB) Viewed 4999 times
Papageno wrote: 28 Mar 2020, 09:53
All that we see or seem

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

As previously in this thread we all remarked that the Sound of Music is our favourite movie ever 🤭 I thought I'd post this. It's the poster for the remake of the movie they're releasing this year to mark the year of the Covid.

Sound of Music.jpg
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

The Frick (Museum) Collection:

Virtual tours and lectures:

https://www.frick.org/
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

10 of the world’s best virtual museum and art gallery tours

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2020 ... lery-tours
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

The weather is getting warmer and the days are getting longer, time to give some of the plants real sunlight.

The String of Pearls plant is doing nicely:

Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

African Violets preparing for a 2nd bloom cycle:
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

The beauty of symmetry in nature: Image
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

Image "Yeah Christine, I've joined a cult and I gotta run, I'm late for a meeting" Image
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

I am almost ashamed to post these photos. If this plant was a child it would be taken away from me.

I have had this plant for years, it lives outside in the summer and it does really well, then I bring it in for the winter and put it in a spot where it gets really neglected and barely survives to enjoy another summer. Then it goes out again and thrives.

Here is the poor thing now.

tumblr_45cb289d239f75f5b21e90ec3d9800ed_13df42cc_500.jpg
tumblr_f383851e3e7fb47049e5e50e6c92b21e_80cac100_250.jpg
tumblr_25c0686b3681b267a0655aa1b7eb31c4_3feff30c_250.jpg
tumblr_f34792578b7894bc53f759b0d400e239_5e56381c_500.jpg

I'm sure Papageno, you know what kind of plant this is. I think it is kind of a sister or cousin of sorts to the bead plant. It's not a succulent but it grows (when its healthy) like the bead plant in long strings of the little heart-shaped leaves.

I know it deserves better. But if you could give me any tips to get it set up better for this summer I would appreciate it.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
stronglove
Sage

Post by stronglove »

749713DB-6936-4536-B74E-65D2F3360C0B.jpeg

this preview doesn’t really do it justice
if you click on the image you can see it with better resolution
from fragility to humility....maybe white lives should matter a little less
stronglove
Sage

Post by stronglove »

my polder ‘backyard’ is crawling with herons....(ah but herons don’t crawl, do they :lol: :lol: :lol: )

6ED3F4FF-B7CA-4162-BFAB-4F692BD80EB2.jpeg
from fragility to humility....maybe white lives should matter a little less
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

Joan Marie wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 14:26 I am almost ashamed to post these photos. If this plant was a child it would be taken away from me.

I have had this plant for years, it lives outside in the summer and it does really well, then I bring it in for the winter and put it in a spot where it gets really neglected and barely survives to enjoy another summer. Then it goes out again and thrives.

I'm sure Papageno, you know what kind of plant this is. I think it is kind of a sister or cousin of sorts to the bead plant. It's not a succulent but it grows (when its healthy) like the bead plant in long strings of the little heart-shaped leaves.

I know it deserves better. But if you could give me any tips to get it set up better for this summer I would appreciate it.
I promise there won't be any social workers taking your plant-child away from you.

Your plant is called a String-of-Hearts, Ceropegia woodii, originally a native of South Africa and it's neighboring states of that continent.
Therefore, it likes lots of warmth and sunlight.

I don't own this plant, but apparently it is very similar in nature to the String of Beads.

It probably needs stronger indoor lighting during the winter. That's what I've discovered about some of my own plants.
Cheap so-called grow lights are garbage. 65-75 watt flood-light bulbs work well, but they have to be clear, not frosted.

DO NOT use Halogen bulbs unless you want to cook the plants to death and very possibly burn down the house. SERIOUSLY.

It's a semi-succulent which means you have to be careful about the soil mixture.
My soil is a mixture of regular potting soil, sand, gravel, aquarium charcoal. I swear by the aquarium charcoal.
I suggest 75% - 80% potting soil and the remaining 25% consisting of sand, fine gravel, etc.

Be careful about the sand, some aquarium sand and gravel is coated with Silicone, I suppose to make it easier to clean or something but I personally don't like the idea.

I have also used Perlite, but I really don't like the stuff. I suspect it's inherently dangerous to inhale (wear a mask).
I will stop using it and stick to the au-natural formula.

The potting soil I use is Black Gold, the one for vegetable gardening, not flowers.
It's very high quality, fluffy and loamy, enhanced with fertilizers and earthworm castings.

During the winter, I suggest you keep your String of Hearts away from the windows and glass sliding doors, unless you have very expensive, super-insulated double pane windows.

I notice you have the plant on top of a bookshelf with no discernable (overhead) lighting, that's not good.

My prognosis:

Lack of (sufficient?) overhead lighting.
You (probably) need to amend your soil mixture.
You may also need to re-pot your plants which also gives you an opportunity to mix up a fresh batch of amended soil.
The plant looks too dry, even succulents need (very careful) watering during the winter.

Yep, house plants are a lot of work if you want to do it up properly.
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

stronglove wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 15:34 my polder ‘backyard’ is crawling with herons....(ah but herons don’t crawl, do they :lol: :lol: :lol: )
how fabulous is that, you're very lucky
Libra
Sage

Post by Libra »

I created a fairy garden <3

20200401_142056.jpg
Intuitive tarot to inspire & empower @ www.ResonatingReadings.com
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Papageno wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 18:32 Lack of (sufficient?) overhead lighting.
You (probably) need to amend your soil mixture.
You may also need to re-pot your plants which also gives you an opportunity to mix up a fresh batch of amended soil.
The plant looks too dry, even succulents need (very careful) watering during the winter.

Yep, house plants are a lot of work if you want to do it up properly.
So true.

I am pretty good at keeping my plants sufficiently watered but this poor guy is like he's camouflaged on that bookcase with all that random stuff and I know I often miss him on water day.

In the spring (haven't done it yet, waiting for better weather) I always take all my plants outside and wash them all, get all the winter dust off them, and repot the ones that need it, give them a bunch of love, but then I don't quite keep up like I should over the year. They live but they don't all thrive like they could with some more TLC.

But this one, the String-of-hearts is the saddest.
Thanks for the tips. I'll get this one on it's feet.
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

Libra wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 19:06 I created a fairy garden <3
That is SO charming!
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Thank you Bill Withers for this song...Lovely Day
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

Joan Marie wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 20:04

Thank you Bill Withers for this song...Lovely Day

and R.I.P. ❤️

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/03/arts ... e=Homepage
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

I planted a leaf in with the "Pen Plant" and wasn't sure if it would sprout new growth, I expected it to grow from the top.

The leaf had other ideas and the root system that developed produced an offshoot protruding from the drainage opening at the bottom.
BtmPlant05.jpg
RootingPlant
RootingPlant
BtmPlant04.jpg (49.63 KiB) Viewed 5328 times
RootingPlant
RootingPlant
BtmPlant03.jpg (56.91 KiB) Viewed 5328 times
RootingPlant
RootingPlant
BtmPlant02.jpg (74.32 KiB) Viewed 5328 times
RootingPlant
RootingPlant
BtmPlant.jpg (51.17 KiB) Viewed 5328 times
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

Well, what can you expect after calling it the 'Pen Plant'? :D
All that we see or seem

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

Libra wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 19:06 I created a fairy garden <3

Simply lovely! It reminds me of childhood and making little gardens on a baking tray, only yours is truly magical.
All that we see or seem

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

Another view of the "Pen Plant" sticking out from the shelf.

Return to “Misc. Tarot Topics & Discussion”