This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Dirt cheap Tarot readings - what do you think?

A catch-all forum for the things that don't seem to fit elsewhere. (please see guidelines)
Forum rules
FORUM DESCRIPTION & GUIDELINES:
This is the place for Topics, Discussions, Questions, Opinions and things that don't seem to fit within an existing category on the forum.

*IMPORTANT: Please help keep things focused. Feel free to post what you want here as long as it relates to the spirit of the Cult of Tarot. That means Cards of all kinds, Occult, Spiritualism, Astrology etc.

Please don't post technical issues here. For help with technical issues send an email to: support@cultoftarotforum.com or PM Joan Marie or visit the tech assistance forum.

Thank you so much
BlueStar
Sage

Dirt cheap Tarot readings - what do you think?

Post by BlueStar »

Whilst browsing on Etsy the other day I noticed there are so many tarot reading offerings at bargain basement prices. I'm wondering how it's possible to offer readings that are just £0.60p example. A reading can time time and thought and then more time to convey what was seen in a meaningful, supportive and helpful way. I don't get how any one could make a living on those type of prices or offer a really insightful service. Perhaps they are not doing it as a job but a hobby, or a way to get started towards doing it full time?

I was also thinking about how it might cheapen tarot readings as an art and skill also.

What do you think? I'd love to hear some opinions on this, maybe there's something I've not considered about it all.
Nemia
Sage

Re: Dirt cheap Tarot readings - what do you think?

Post by Nemia »

I don't know how high quality these readings are. Serious people know they have to pay more than that. I haven't seen this phenomenon but the cheapening of good work everywhere is worrying.

It makes me understand even less the people who come here and expect free readings. I mean for that price anyone can afford a dirt-cheap reading.

How many people really ask for such cheap readings? Maybe the readers are learners or feel uncomfortable asking for more than a tea bag? Just learning all you have to know to read tarot takes YEARS.
fire cat pickles
Sage

Post by fire cat pickles »

Nemia wrote: 22 May 2021, 10:39 Maybe the readers are learners or feel uncomfortable asking for more than a tea bag?
:lol:

Spitting my coffee...

OMG Nemia stop just stop!

Seriously. You get what you pay for.
Rose Lalonde
Sage

Post by Rose Lalonde »

I'm being cynical, but at that price, I'd assume some of those sellers have a handful of vague, pre-written readings that apply to commonly asked questions. All they'd have to do is paste repeatedly and hit send.
"One mounteth unto the Crown by the moon and by the Sun, and by the arrow, and by the Foundation, and by the dark home of the stars from the black earth." LXV
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

Rose Lalonde wrote: 23 May 2021, 00:00 I'm being cynical, but at that price, I'd assume some of those sellers have a handful of vague, pre-written readings that apply to commonly asked questions. All they'd have to do is paste repeatedly and hit send.
That's what occurred to me - or perhaps they've invented an app that picks up keywords from the question, selects the cards that seem to correspond and bats out the reading... :bat: :bat: :bat:
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream...

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Ciderwell
Sage

Post by Ciderwell »

Its likely a hook to lure you in so as to sell you boots or something that they've made out of seashells :D
TheLoracular
Sage

Post by TheLoracular »

I literally had a friend-of-a-friend send me a private message on social media and ask me what I would charge to do a 3 card reading for them by email about their ex.

I said "I am not doing client readings, but if I was going to do one here is how [details the steps] and I'd probably ask someone to pay $30, I can recommend a friend who does it similarly and is that cheap as well".

The response I got was "$30?? That's CHEAP??? It's just One Question!"

lol.
Tarot is a great and sacred arcanum- its abuse is an obscenity in the inner and a folly in the outer. It is intended for quite other purposes than to determine when the tall dark man will meet the fair rich widow.”
― Jack Parsons
chongjasmine
Seer

Post by chongjasmine »

Most of the people who charge low prices are not confident of themselves.
For God so loves the world that He gives His son Jesus that whoever belives in Jesus shall not perish but have eternal life.
JudyK
Sybil

Post by JudyK »

I sell “cheap” readings. Not as little as £0.60, but well under the professional going rate. I don’t do it for the money - I just want to read. I’d do it for free (and sometimes still do) but I’m tired of people, the majority sadly, who treat free readings like the peanuts on the bar – “They don't really want them, they certainly don't need them, but they're free so they keep grabbing handfuls” (quote from a recent blog post). They don’t value the experience, the reading or the reader. So I charge a small amount in an almost ritualistic “Cross my palm with silver” sense. They have to give something of themselves - an "offering" that shows commitment and respect, and that binds them into the process.
"Read the damn cards" - Camelia Elias
luc émmanuel
Seeker

Post by luc émmanuel »

bonsoir,
pour ce prix vous avez juste une réponse faite par un algorithme, certains sont bien fait car les combinaisons de cartes entre elles sont bien réalisés, après, une discussion et une relation réelle avec une vraie personne est irremplaçable !! De plus, si plusieures centaines de "prédictions" sont réalisées par jour, cela fait un bon paquet d'argent avec peu d'investissement...
Anesidora
Seer

Post by Anesidora »

Honestly, I would never price my readings that low. I've put in years of practice honing my skills and my prices reflect that. It definitely does create a rift in the market. I've had clients throw cheap readers in my face but the truth is, most of the times you get what you pay for. I have purchased some of these readings out of curiosity and a lot of them were one-line readings or purely book meanings. It definitely does cheapen the industry a bit because then you have people expecting you to do a fully in-depth multiple card reading for $5, but always charge what you feel your service is worth.
Juperkocom
Seeker

Post by Juperkocom »

The very low prices for tarot readings, like £0.60p, can raise concerns about the value and quality you'll receive. Tarot readings require time and expertise, and such low prices may not adequately compensate the reader for their effort. It's important to recognize the skill and dedication involved in providing a meaningful reading. Opting for experienced readers who charge a fair price can ensure a more valuable and insightful experience.
Discover the wisdom within. Explore free online readings and divinations at Juperko.com - Tarot, Numerology, I Ching, and more. Embrace guidance and insight on your journey of self-discovery.

Return to “Misc. Tarot Topics & Discussion”