This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Day 8 - Birth of Freya

Please join us as we greet the change of seasons and consider a new theme each day.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Day 8 - Birth of Freya

Post by Joan Marie »

There is an interesting article about Freya here

Apparently, she was a lot of fun.
Looking forward to this reading!
Day 8. Birth of Freyja: - Dec 27th
This card points to issues of love, luck, artistic and creative expression and female wisdom.
EDIT: I just sat down and read about Freya at the link above. If you have a few minutes today, I recommend it. So interesting and great fun and potentially will send you down several rabbit holes of Norse mythology and lots of other wonderful things.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Re: Day 8 - Birth of Freya

Post by Joan Marie »

thumbnail_20211227_103501.jpg

So many female cards in the Major Arcana and for female wisdom I get The Hanged Man.
Well, gender is a construct after all. And women feel like the hanged man all the time too so...

(quick aside: I realise you probably already know this but just in case or to clarify, gender is by definition a construct of society. It is different from sex in that is has nothing to do with any physical attribute, chromosomes, sexuality, etc, but is the societal norms we assign to "males" and "females", as in how we are expected to behave, dress, fulfil assigned roles, stuff like that. )

I guess that point is relevant as we discuss "female wisdom" and what that even is.

Most images of Freya that I found on google images today portray her as real sex kitten. That is a very limited view of her. It's really unfortunate. Sure she liked to party but she was also a powerful magician and had great skills for divination. Among other important qualities.

But I digress again. (or do I?)

back to the matter at hand, today's reading:
This card makes me think of the importance of observation and chilling out in a difficult situation. This kind of letting go is very powerful despite how it appears to be passive. It takes a lot of energy to remain chill, especially fo some of us. This card demonstrates that by the impossibly uncomfortable position he/she is in, and yet maintains a serene face. There is a real power there.

In regards to "love luck and creative expression" those are all difficult things most easily achieved with a light touch. Like trying to get a squirrel to eat from your hand. Which, by the way, men and women can do equally well.

It's a lot easier to "get in touch with your masculine/feminine side" once you realise nothing (outside of a social construct) was ever really stopping you.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Dec 27.jpg

Nuoue wands
Love and creativity are a personal struggle for me! Both of which require self-confidence and self-trust. And then acting on that. I’m still getting there, but much better than earlier in my life. Freyja is saying it's not just beautiful, young women who get to exercise their female power. I’m female, and I can have power, if I trust in it.

Something that doesn’t fit with the above, but which also came to mind, was that I was unprepared for a relationship in which I had to hold my own and protect myself. There wasn’t much talk of boundaries and self-care when I went into it! Now I know better. I guess you really do live and learn!

Have a great day, my yule friends!
Please join us in This Week's Deck!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
chiscotheque
Sage

Post by chiscotheque »

Day 8. Birth of Freyja: - Dec 27th
This card points to issues of love, luck, artistic and creative expression and female wisdom.

Card: 4 of HEAT
4 heat.jpg

Most people interpret the 4/Wands as referring to marriage. I can appreciate the ideas of home, celebration, and a safe base to go out from and return to, but I've always thought of this card in another way. That is, as a four-square solid ground to stand on, the discovery of one's vocation, and the pleasure of agency. All of these ideas fit rather well with Freyja and today's themes. Freyja was something of a sorceress who facilitated change, enticing the spiritual from out of the physical world. It's a little uncomfortable, but I'm feeling both of those things today.

The card's upright song is Shelter from the Storm, about a woman who invites a wayfarer into the safety of her home, protecting him from the dangerous and cold realities of the world. In this way, the 4/HEAT bodes extremely well for the love, luck, and creative expression of today's reading - especially as it's -8 here today! The card's reverse song, Groom Still Waiting at the Altar, describes an apocalyptic world in which no one can find any solace, except perhaps in the spiritual realm. Although it warns of an end time, its message remains hopeful: you may be down but you're not out. This seems particularly apt for me today because as I write this I am struggling to deal with a burst hot water pipe and some below-freezing flooding in my house (curiously, the pop art explosion which forms the background to this card from Dylan's Shot of Love album looks a little like a bursting pipe!). I'm seriously hoping this card indicates that by being intrepid and staying strong, my spouse and I (and our house) will survive the threat.

Return to “12-days of Yule Reading- Welcome the Winter Solstice”