This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Day 3 - The Time of Beth

Please join us as we greet the change of seasons and consider a new theme each day.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Day 3 - The Time of Beth

Post by Joan Marie »

This one we had a big discussion about a couple of years ago.

Here is the theme for Day 3:
Day 3. The Time of Beth: - Dec 22nd
This card points to the inner blocks and resistance that is holding us back from following our dreams.
For more information on what the Time of Beth means, have a look at this thread. It really is fascinating. At the end of is a post from Nemia that is especially helpful I think.

Meaning of Beth: A Kabbalah Question

The card we draw today should tell us a great deal, or at least something, about our shadow self.

Feel free to jump in any time, any way you like. For a little more info about all this, go here
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Re: Day 3 - The Time of Beth

Post by Joan Marie »

I laughed out loud when I drew this card:
I KNEW IT!!
I KNEW IT!!

My shadow, my demon seems pretty literal.

But I've learned to be careful about going for the easy interpretation.

It's early and this is right off the top of my head and it might sound a little weird but I think the deal is that too often I ignore my dark side, I fail to embrace it, to accept it as a part of myself that needs expression. I don't mean I should be running around being diabolical (well not necessarily). But to deny this very real aspect of myself, and this aspect in everyone else, has consequences.

What are those? Well, to begin with, I build up a false picture in my head of how things should be (i.e. Devil-free). Then I live in my head.
This leads to frustration of all kinds.

All my best "work" is done when I can get out of my head. The first step to doing that is to not be afraid of doing that.

That Devil is the voice that tells me an idea isn't good enough, or something is too difficult, or someone won't like it, or...etc. etc. etc. ad nauseum.

Of course the thing that blocks us is fear. But this beautiful Devil tells me fear of what!
Basically, Fear of letting go.
Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Dec 22.jpg

XIIII El diavolo
Me too! Very funny! (Kind of like nothing to fear but fear itself) nothing holds us back but whatever holds us back! Tarot is saying it’s a no-brainer. It’s easy to identify the negatives that are affecting our lives. The negative comes from how we deal with it. That’s the inner blocks part.

From the illustration, I’m getting that the negative is what is incongruous or doesn’t fit. Not something evil or bad in itself but bad in my situation. Bird feet are perfectly good for birds, but not for a human-formed person. Same with faces and horns. They’re good in places they belong, but not on genitals or on a human-ish being.

So, instead of demonizing or fearing something, I just have to weed out what doesn’t belong in my life right now. I can do that!

Have a great day, fellow Yule lovers!
Please join us in This Week's Deck!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Joan Marie wrote: 22 Dec 2021, 09:48 I laughed out loud when I drew this card:

My shadow, my demon seems pretty literal.

But I've learned to be careful about going for the easy interpretation.
I didn’t read your post, just noticed that it was the Devil before I drew mine. Interesting to see how our interpretations are so different yet both perfectly valid and helpful! That’s the beauty of tarot!
Please join us in This Week's Deck!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
chiscotheque
Sage

Post by chiscotheque »

Day 3. The Time of Beth: - Dec 22nd
This card points to the inner blocks and resistance that are holding us back from following our dreams.

Card: 7 of WIND
7 wind.jpg

I awoke early from a fevered dream and, thinking about how I hadn't properly considered my dream from the night before in relation to Day 1's card, I drew a card right away without knowing what today's question was. When I logged onto CoT, I was a little relieved (and surprised) I didn't pull the Devil card. But giving it a little more thought, I realized it was its own kind of Devil card.

First, here's an outline of the uncomfortable dream I woke from: It was dark and I was in bed half-asleep beside my partner, as indeed I was. But there at my bedside was a troublesome ex-lover, speaking in hushed tones, joking warmly, offering me soup and generally being kind. Should I accept these strange overtures - especially as she had been so cruel to my sleeping partner - or was her sheep's clothing just another way of inveigling herself into my world and gaining control? Upon waking, I felt oddly ashamed. In my mind's eye was a callous - the physical remnant of a series of events still there long after the fact.

The 7 of WIND's upright song is Positively 4th Street, the street Dylan lived on in Greenwich Village with his first love, Suze. The song is a litany of vituperation against all the people Dylan knew when he was cutting his teeth as an up-and-coming folk singer. Lyrically, it's like reading someone's private hate mail, while musically it's upbeat and light like the ironic "Positively" of its title. The card's reverse song is the more telling 4th Time Around, an oddly dainty song in 3/4 time about a love affair gone south. As with the narrative, the song itself has a backstory: John Lennon had played his own Norwegian Wood for Dylan, to show the folkie how he had been influenced by his (Dylan's) songwriting. Dylan's response was to write 4th Time Around and play it for John, who immediately thought Dylan was taking the piss and scolding him for emulating his (Dylan's) style. Lennon later came to see the song as an homage, but there was always an uncomfortable competition between the two musicians.

Beth is the sacred notion of home, where the heart is. Today's card is about inner blocks, and in the aftermath of my dream, it points unmistakably to those ideas, feelings, and people I have allowed into my home, my heart, myself, and who - like the Trojan Horse - have betrayed, belittled, and waylayed me. Either through cowardice, chicanery, or misplaced loyalty, I have allowed these venomous demons to afflict me too long. It is time to clean house, to throw away the crutches that are giving me callouses and keeping me callous to those who know what it means to love.

Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

What a day! :shock:

Return to “12-days of Yule Reading- Welcome the Winter Solstice”