This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Day 2 - Yule: Winter Solstice

Please join us as we greet the change of seasons and consider a new theme each day.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Day 2 - Yule: Winter Solstice

Post by Joan Marie »

Well we've made it kids! The longest night of the year looms!
Day 2 of our reading journey is here. (For a full description of all this, see this post)

Click "post reply" and share your insight on this long long night.

Here is the theme:
Day 2. Yule - Winter Solstice: - Dec 21st
This card shows us how best to connect to the Light within and without - it symbolizes the Birth of the Sun.
Looking forward to what you see.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Re: Day 2 - Yule: Winter Solstice

Post by Joan Marie »

thumbnail_20211221_085235.jpg

What I see here is equanimity. Cultivating serenity, calm, evenness.

How can this card symbolise "the birth of the sun?"

Because it was time. It happened when it happened.

Normally I would feel compelled to elaborate, butI think the message is just that simple.

EDIT: rethinking this. Saying "It happened when it happened" is a really closed thought. It feels, well, closed, unsatisfying. Agitating. ANd that is not a calm or serene feeling.

I think I was mistaking calmness for passiveness, which is really the opposite of the beauty of the sun's energy.

I'm a bit all over the place with this, but it feels good!
Hopefully I can come back later with some better insight.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

This would have all been so much easier if I had drawn "The Sun" for example.

Why did I get "Justice?"

I'm trying to get away from going necessarily with the "traditional" card meanings and really look at the image and I guess, project on it to see what is really in my head in regard to this question.

I see a woman equipped for any situation. Equipped with what? Well, knowledge, experience, learning. She's really going at it it with everything she has. She's present. That's her light. And it doesn't go out because she would never let it. Why would she?
Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Happy solstice to you all!

Dec 21.jpg

4 Coins
This is the flash when I saw the card: In the new year, I need to get my health in order. I’m generally very well. I need to lose a few covid pounds, but who doesn’t? But I was “fired” by my doctor because they went to a subscription model, and I still have regular pay-as-you-go insurance. So I need to get a new doctor and get back on my blood pressure meds. Again, nothing life-changing, but the headaches are getting annoying!

It’s hard to pursue inner or outer light when you’re not feeling well! First things first! I’m looking forward to a new year of light and health! And wish the same for you!
Please join us in This Week's Deck!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Joan Marie wrote: 21 Dec 2021, 11:28 I see a woman equipped for any situation. Equipped with what? Well, knowledge, experience, learning. She's really going at it it with everything she has. She's present. That's her light. And it doesn't go out because she would never let it. Why would she?
Wow, a powerful interp of Justice! One advantage of traditional imagery is that the allegorical figures are female, which makes it easier for us to identify with them, even though I'm pretty sure that wasn't the purpose when they were drawn.

I was watching a video of a performance of Handel's Messiah yesterday, and they showed images from the church where it was performed, Grace Cathedral in San Francisco. I was mostly listening to the music, not watching, and then suddenly there was a stained glass Justice! It was Michael the archangel, who looks just like tarot's Justice. Tarot really is everywhere! Just thought I'd throw that out there to go with your Justice today!
Please join us in This Week's Deck!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
chiscotheque
Sage

Post by chiscotheque »

Day 2. Yule - Winter Solstice: - Dec 21st
This card shows us how best to connect to the Light within and without - it symbolizes the Birth of the Sun.

Card: The Chariot 7 The Never Ending Tour
7 chariot.jpg

Since the 1980s, Dylan has been simply adding dates to his tour schedule, making it seem for almost 40 years now like one long tour. As befitting the sun, this is a very outward-moving card. A lone performer faces a sea of people, and they are all there to see him. In the context of the question, it suggests to me that to keep the light glowing from within I must not hide it under a bushel, but face the music and my fears, some of which involves dealing with the outside world and people. If we take the card's central image literally, there is no one "out there". Nevertheless, in simple '60s speak, you gotta keep on keepin' on. The card's upright song is Eternal Circle, the theme of which is as the title suggests, an allegory of the muse/artist relationship tying into today's solstice question with its emphasis on cycles and allusion to Grave's Sacrificial King. The reverse song is Lay Down Your Weary Tune, a paean to nature advocating a movement toward mysticism and the immediacy of the moment. As an antidote of sorts to hubris - an inherent danger of the sun and the unreflective movement outward - the song asks us to regard a power larger than ourselves, performing for us like the muse if we settle down to listen.

Return to “12-days of Yule Reading- Welcome the Winter Solstice”