This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Ikigai - a reflection on life

In-depth looks at your favourite decks and friendly discussions about individual cards and their symbolism and meanings. Something for everyone here. Tarot (modern & historical), Lenormand, & Oracle.
Nemia
Sage

Ikigai - a reflection on life

Post by Nemia »

The Japanese concept of Ikigai is fascinating. A complex interplay of factors influences our happiness in life and our sense of meaning - two things closely connected.

ikigai.jpeg

The different factors are shown in this diagram. Doesn't it invite our use as tarot spread? We enter our lives from the outside, from four directions.

The first layer:

1. what you love

2. what the world needs

3. what you can be paid for

4. what you're good at

We can even smell the four elements/suits here. What we love is highly motivated Fire/Wands - what the world needs selfless, giving Water/Cups / what you can be paid for pragmatical Earth/Pentacles / and what you're good at objective, rational Air/Swords. (It's not THAT clear cut of course).

This outer layer shows us the basic given things in our lives, those we don't choose or decide. These are our first four cards.

Now where these concepts meet and merge, four new constellations emerge, and they're the outcome of our decisions in life, at least partly - choice of profession and life style etc. They're four cards that show our personal life.

5. Mission

6. Vocation

7. Profession

8. Passion

You can see on the diagram how each of these four ingredients of our lives is the outcome of the four basic factors.

But there are drawbacks to each of these four personal cards.

9. Delight and fullness, but no wealth

10. Excitement and complacency, but sense of uncertainty

11. Comfortable, but feeling of emptiness

12. Satisfaction, but feeling of uselessness

Each of these drawbacks shows what happens when three of the outer factors meet but one is lacking.

A bit like complementary primary colours, when you mix Blue, Yellow and Red. If you mix Blue and Yellow, you get Green - and the complementary colour is the one that is left, i.e. Red. Red and Red-less, so to say.

The whole diagram reminds me a bit of a colour wheel with primary, secondary and tertiary colours :-) differently arranged of course - growing towards the outside instead of the inside.

itten wheel.png
itten wheel.png (98.62 KiB) Viewed 1475 times

But back to Ikigai.

Actually, the only place where everything meets is the central card, the focus, the place where we can find meaning in life and thus, happiness and satisfaction.

13. Ikigai

Our personal place where our passions, talents, practical needs and the needs of the world are in perfect harmony.

Since our lives are not perfect, at different times, we'll give more attention to one area over the other. For example, when I had young children, my own talents and also our financial needs mattered less than taking care of them. Later, these "world needs" were balanced again with the other factors and didn't weigh so heavily.

I think this is a beautiful way of making us thinking about our choices and points of balance in life, but also reflect on our basic Givens. I see this as good basis for a self analysis where I stand, where my happiness lies - and if I'm not happy and satisfied with my life and life choices right now, what might be the reason?

So let's put this all together as spread:

ikigai.jpeg

The primary factors of life: what is given

1. what you love

2. what the world needs

3. what you can be paid for

4. what you're good at

The secondary factors of life: what we make of it

5. Mission

6. Vocation

7. Profession

8. Passion

The tertiary factors of life: the drawbacks of our choices

9. Delight and fullness, but no wealth

10. Excitement and complacency, but sense of uncertainty

11. Comfortable, but feeling of emptiness

12. Satisfaction, but feeling of uselessness

Where everything comes together:

13. Ikigai - where everything meets and life has meaning

The Orbifold Tarot might be the perfect deck for this reflective spread.
Flaxen
Seer

Re: Ikigai - a reflection on life

Post by Flaxen »

This is such a great spread, Nemia. I love how you’ve taken this concept and translated it into a practical reading.
The choice of deck would be key for me - some of my decks would be too spiritually focussed and I think I would need that element of grounding in practical reality to make best use of it. Off to ponder...
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

As a solitary reader in limbo this really resonates at the moment - it may be just what's needed before The Hermit or The Hanged One becomes the only card in my pack. Thanks Nemia - I'm going to try this tonight.
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream...

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

Well, I tried this spread last night, beginning by taking a card from the well-shuffled pack and placing it at the top. I used the Liminal Tarot as I know it better than all the others. I put the cards down one by one in a clockwise spiral moving from the outside sections towards Ikigai at the centre.

1. What You Love: 8 of Discs...!

2. What The World Needs: 7 of Discs

3. What You Can Be Paid For: 5 of Discs... Hmmm. But there is light at the end of the tunnel in this card, so...

4. What You're Good At: 3 of Wands

5. Passion: 7 of Swords...?

6. Mission: 6 of Swords

7. Vocation: 5 of Swords

8. Profession: Page of Wands

9. Satisfaction but Feeling of Uselessness: Empress

10.Delight and Fullness But No Wealth: Hierophant (a very green card featuring an old, wise tree reaching to the sky)

11. Excitement, Complacency But Sense of Uncertainty: 8 of Wands

12. Comfortable But Feeling of Emptyness: Emperor

13. Ikigai: The Priestess. I believe this card is referring to 'lifting the veil' - something I've been working (slowly and carefully) with for a while after a spontaneous OOB experience.

Some of these spoke immediately, others needed a walk with the lovely boy (my whippety dog) before they made sense. This reading gave me much to consider, but it's not a spread one would do often - maybe once a year?

One thing I almost overlooked at first reading was the way the colours mix: e.g. Vocation is between What you Can be Paid For and What The World Needs and so refers to (or is a mixture of) those two things. Likewise the small curved 'triangles' around Ikigai refer to (or are a mixture of) the shape designations/colours that touch their sides.

I believe the swords are to do with ideas, research etc. The 7 of swords shows the tiny figure of a monk watching as a 'bird-man' with strapped-on wings flies away with 5 of his swords - 'new' ideas are not so new, but taken from older disciplines.

Very clever - this spread makes sense and has given me lots to think about, although I haven't described my reading of every card (some of the insights are fairly personal).
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream...

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
velvetina
Seer

Post by velvetina »

I haven't come across that concept - Ikigai - before - how interesting! And I like how you have developed a useful and insightful spread around it. I'll definitely give it a go at some point.
reall
Sage

Post by reall »

Great topic! Saving it! Thank You! :D

Return to “The House of Cards: Asking Questions/Sharing Insights”