This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Tarot and meditation - an idea for a walking meditation with tarot

In-depth looks at your favourite decks and friendly discussions about individual cards and their symbolism and meanings. Something for everyone here. Tarot (modern & historical), Lenormand, & Oracle.
Nemia
Sage

Tarot and meditation - an idea for a walking meditation with tarot

Post by Nemia »

Many people use tarot as focus or inspiration in meditation, but I'm not good at meditation (I pray a lot but didn't get the hang of meditation yet). The only form of meditation that really works well for me is walking meditation. I have a route that I love to walk and I meditate while walking. It's nothing formal, I just focus on my body walking for the first part of the walk. I love Emil Zatopek's words, "fish swim, birds fly, humans run", and even though I walk and don't run, it's still true (and sometimes I run, too, but I prefer to walk).

Sometimes, I connect my tarot practice with walking meditation. When I did a strong reading for example I took my regular walk and let it all go through my mind, and had some wonderful insights. It seems the moving body has wisdom that the body sitting at a table doesn't have.

I'd like to meditate in a more structured fashion while walking, and I'll try it soon. I'll do a three card reading before I set out. One card for the warm-up, one for the walk itself, the third for the cool-down. I might even put the cards into my little pouch; my new Nova Tarot seems ideal for that.

Let's see how it works, I'll keep you updated.
I Sunshine
Sybil

Re: Tarot and meditation - an idea for a walking meditation with tarot

Post by I Sunshine »

Nemia, I ran across the idea of looking at your surrounding and seeing if there are any Tarot type symbols that jump out at you when you are on a walk. Have you heard of or practiced this??
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

In my surroundings, I see tarot symbols everywhere... pomegranate trees, apples, sea shells, stones, birds, ruined castles... enriching my morning or evening walks. Good idea to focus on them more!

I didn't try my pre-walking reading yet but I do focus on my daily planetary cards when I walk.
I Sunshine
Sybil

Post by I Sunshine »

What you say about the moving body have a different type of wisdom or more wisdom than the sitting body has always been true for me, since I was a teenager. But I have never consciously combined that type of meditation with my tarot cards or readings. Now I am intrigued! Want to try this.
BreathingSince72
Sage

Post by BreathingSince72 »

Nemia wrote: 19 May 2018, 05:32 Many people use tarot as focus or inspiration in meditation, but I'm not good at meditation (I pray a lot but didn't get the hang of meditation yet). The only form of meditation that really works well for me is walking meditation. I have a route that I love to walk and I meditate while walking. It's nothing formal, I just focus on my body walking for the first part of the walk. I love Emil Zatopek's words, "fish swim, birds fly, humans run", and even though I walk and don't run, it's still true (and sometimes I run, too, but I prefer to walk).

Sometimes, I connect my tarot practice with walking meditation. When I did a strong reading for example I took my regular walk and let it all go through my mind, and had some wonderful insights. It seems the moving body has wisdom that the body sitting at a table doesn't have.

I'd like to meditate in a more structured fashion while walking, and I'll try it soon. I'll do a three card reading before I set out. One card for the warm-up, one for the walk itself, the third for the cool-down. I might even put the cards into my little pouch; my new Nova Tarot seems ideal for that.

Let's see how it works, I'll keep you updated.
I really enjoyed walking meditation! I think many of us struggle with meditation because we try to empty our minds. I think in reality, we have to learn to be present before we can be still.
The opposite of truth is falsehood but the opposite of one profound truth may well be another profound truth.
Tanga
Seeker

Post by Tanga »

3 years later Nemia - I have seen your post. :lol:
I just joined this forum.
I love the idea of drawing cards before a walk and will try it out.
I'm not a morning person - so I hardly ever do card draws or anything in the mornings - but I now have a cat
(lockdown kitten :roll:) who loves being accompanied on a morning walk in the coppice behind my house - so I'm usually
stumbling around half awake out there...
“Be Still, like a mountain; Flow, like a deep river” Lao Tsu

~ Allow Yourself To Be Who You Are ~  

Mitakuye Oyasin - “my brothers and sisters - all life is connected"

Return to “The House of Cards: Asking Questions/Sharing Insights”