This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Ritual Coloring - Show and Tell!

In-depth looks at your favourite decks and friendly discussions about individual cards and their symbolism and meanings. Something for everyone here. Tarot (modern & historical), Lenormand, & Oracle.
AstralPasta
Sage

Ritual Coloring - Show and Tell!

Post by AstralPasta »

Hey! ๐ŸŒˆ๐ŸŒž๐Ÿฅž

So there's a ritual coloring component to the SKT so I figured we could ooh and ahh, wonder, discuss, and just geek out about each other's arts and our experiences and approaches with the coloring.

The only thing that makes me hesitant is being influenced by each other's art before we have a chance to express our own vision of the card. "To keep silent" has merit and so on. So I think we should use links that open in another window to share our images ๐Ÿง It's hard to unsee things and all that.

If sharing the art is too personal to you, considering the nature of the work, building your inner temple and all that, then I think hanging out and talking about the process, progress, and interesting experiences you've had are also great!

The other thing that makes this seem okay to me is that for some reason the Vitruvian edition seems more sociable to me as a vibe. Something about being the younger sibling (from what I hear you're more precious and involved with the first since everything is new), and being designed to be more accessible, and the more natural (as in nature) feeling vibe which lends itself to the idea of ecosystems and communities, makes me think this is okay somehow.

First edition folks can hang out and share too of course! Hell, I've got Chiron in Leo in House 8, it'd have been show and tell occult art or bust whether I'd gotten the first or the second deck, hahaha. Idk, astrology is a thing! Some of us sort of have to live aspects of our private lives out loud, for some reason.

Ok enough blabbering. I'll upload my rough drafts a lil later when I'm near my PC.

tl;dr: Share your ritual coloring art, or just talk about it!
On my phone mainly so pardon the typos! Also if I seem more lucid than average, I'm probably typing on a PC. Hah!
Nemia
Sage

Re: Ritual Coloring - Show and Tell!

Post by Nemia »

Did you start? I didn't even print out the colouring pages yet ;-) I'm still totally fascinated by the deck and go through it card by card, listening to Benebell's videos and reading the MWB.... what will you use to colour the pictures? My art supplies have run terribly low...
AstralPasta
Sage

Post by AstralPasta »

I started a while ago, using the print outs from the website for the majors, because I wanted to test if the cheap markers I had were acceptable or if I wanted to do colored pencil, or what.

I ended up getting a bunch of prismacolor chisel/fine tip markers :lol: Which was it's own adventure. :roll: Namely around finding a sky blue. Compromises were made. :x

Anyway, the markers are luxurious and I love them and it was a total splurge. I think I worked extra for two weeks so that's why I could somehow afford it. Also it's part of my konmari plan, haha. Get the markers I actually want, and get rid of the the art supplies that I don't use.

During the period when I didn't have a proper sky blue I had to color things a little different, and now I'm wondering if it was.... supposed to be that way? I'm still testing things out and trying to learn things, like how to blend.... I might have to mix it up and use colored pencil for some things since I'm an (ambitious) novice at blending, and do marker for the rest.... I feel like it takes a different brain than I'm used to, to learn how to blend. It reminds me of the term "grey thinking" from DBT. So, that's something I'm learning as a side effect of getting this deck. Which is interesting.

Here are the ones I've done so far, including repeats. Scroll down to see them all.

They're all beta tests before I color in the Book of Maps, once I get it. I experimented a lot using the Magician. Some of them had bleedthrough imprint on them because I kept mixing up the order of the blank paper padding and the actual prints I'd colored :roll:

After the High Priestess, I started wondering if I just need to go at this more intuitively. I also thought, what if I used color correspondences that made sense, or learned the kabbalah color correspondences, but I don't think that's how I'm supposed to be doing it.

It felt so.....odd after (and while) coloring them, when I was just coloring by following my gut. It was so strange. It was like I was seeing something from within me, that made so much more sense, as a cohesive whole. Or like places I'd been before, or places within me that I hadn't really accessed before, but that had been there.

The High Priestess kind of confused me. The former feels like a cousin of mine, and the latter reminds me of my mom. I was also reading this book called "Finding your True North" that helped me understand emotions and intuition more, and I'm working through trauma junk, but I anticipate having a better relationship with my intuition as result. Essentially, according to the book, a healthy relationship with your body, and then your emotions, precedes (reliable) intuitive abilities. Intuition comes as a result of these, or following these.

The idea of an emotional compass giving your life direction and purpose, and intuition being an additional feature to this compass, also made me think of Cancer, the Chariot card, and it makes so much more sense to me now that those are connected. But I wonder if I was accessing an idea of intuition that I had, for most of my life now, projected onto the cousin I mentioned as a sort of "golden shadow" - that makes a lot of sense to me. Also the sensuality of it surprised me, and it gives me tropical beach vibes. It's so interesting. Maybe the first take is enough, since I've got all the right materials now.

I think everyone's process and timing is going to be different here based on what they need and are looking for, and the sort of urge to interact is going to behave differently. I think the most effective thing I can do right now is color somehow, and then use the planner once I get it, since my life is kinda crazy at the moment, but I do still need....this....a lot. haha.
On my phone mainly so pardon the typos! Also if I seem more lucid than average, I'm probably typing on a PC. Hah!
AstralPasta
Sage

Post by AstralPasta »

Did The Empress :D

The pine cones kind of confused me, at their end bits. ._. I'm gonna snoop people's photos.
katrinka
Sage

Post by katrinka »

AstralPasta wrote: โ†‘23 Jun 2019, 01:39 During the period when I didn't have a proper sky blue I had to color things a little different, and now I'm wondering if it was.... supposed to be that way? I'm still testing things out and trying to learn things, like how to blend.... I might have to mix it up and use colored pencil for some things since I'm an (ambitious) novice at blending, and do marker for the rest....
I'm going to give you a tip for blending and shading that I learned from a guy who did tattoo flash. You need markers and tissue, like Kleenex (or toilet paper, in a pinch.) I'm not yanking your chain, bear with me on this! You don't use the markers directly on the paper, except for things like outlines and hard, solid areas of color. But for blended and shaded areas, putting a soft edge on colored areas for an airbrush-like effect, twist the tissue into a blunt point, coat that with marker, and then use the tissue to color the areas you want to fade away softly or blend into another color.

You get an effect like these:

https://images.app.goo.gl/D2FgJkcsYsmeuW3R6

https://images.app.goo.gl/yfjdtEkPCXoS3aSa6

https://images.app.goo.gl/Lkwi7nRYkYJp8aiu6

I'm aware that all of this sounds kind of rachet, but you can get some really nice, professional-looking coloring doing this.
"Protect your spirit, because you are in the place where spirits get eaten." - John Trudell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyb9mPfwNhs
AstralPasta
Sage

Post by AstralPasta »

katrinka wrote: โ†‘05 Jul 2019, 06:57 I'm going to give you a tip for blending and shading that I learned from a guy who did tattoo flash. [...]
Ooh! I'll give it a try! Thanks for the tip ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฟ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฟ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฟ
inomminate
Sybil

Post by inomminate »

AstralPasta wrote: โ†‘23 Jun 2019, 01:39

Here are the ones I've done so far, including repeats. Scroll down to see them all.

I have not got round to this deck yet but I like the look of your work.
AstralPasta
Sage

Post by AstralPasta »

I've been pretty heavy into this initiation thing with the SKT. And ritual coloring and stuff.

Interestingly, my HGA was pretty loud a bit before I started coloring, but definitely after I got the deck for sure. There had been life things too.....interesting circumstances......I had been wondering who it might be but it seemed pretty obvious. But I was like "you never know!" Psh.

And i did the one symbol per coloring in a sacred space ritualized way for myself and wow, it was totally different than just practice coloring. Did it all in one day. My poor neck haha. From the fool, like the get go, it was completely obvious who my HGA was and how this was going down. I think I only hadn't achieved K&C (or conversation anyway) because I'm a chicken. ๐Ÿ˜ณ I had a conversation with the Golden Shield later.....(who is my absolute favorite card right now and my best friend). But basically, I'm blocking it....

Now I'm coloring them all in a less ritualized way. Still using the holy oil. I've been getting the vibes from readings to just do it (otherwise I'll never finish them, hehe), but also pace myself so I don't burn out or hurt myself. I'm hoping to finish the majors this month, while I'm in between official jobs. Maybe I'll be able to do the others too.

Oh snap! I accidentally completed Strength before the second Fool card. Well....I guess I'm a bit more relaxed since I did it the official way the first time. But yeah, now excited to do that tomorrow.

Anyone else have anything to report? I'm gonna see if I wanna share after I'm done. But i used the practice colorings I did and glued bits to ...a glittery venting/deconditioning sacrilegious art project hehe ๐Ÿ˜œ So that's fun.

I kinda wanna color em all and see if I can scan and have them printed for myself, but also I don't want to not use my actual deck, and also I don't want to tear the pages out. I also like the idea of the book being enlivened. It's kinda exciting anyway. Maybe someday, hehe.
AstralPasta
Sage

Post by AstralPasta »

Here is my ritual coloring so far X_X I shared this in the FB group too so you might be seeing this twice.

Song that was playing was Rhapsody in Blue, which I love, and it was in one of my playlists on autoplay, but I became aware partway through that it was syncing up pretty well but I didn't know how long would be left in the song so at the end I was like GOTTA MAKE THE FINALE A FINALE hahaha

Return to โ€œThe House of Cards: Asking Questions/Sharing Insightsโ€