This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Shadow Work in Science Fiction: Maniac

In-depth looks at your favourite decks and friendly discussions about individual cards and their symbolism and meanings. Something for everyone here. Tarot (modern & historical), Lenormand, & Oracle.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Shadow Work in Science Fiction: Maniac

Post by Joan Marie »

I just finished watching a Netflix series called "Maniac".

I know it would not be everyone's cup of tea but it sure was mine. I'm not a big science fiction fan per se. It really depends. I fall more into the Kurt Vonnegut school of science fiction, which many don't count as sci-fi.

But the reason I am writing about this show here is because the main plot of the story is clearly (though never stated in so many words) about Shadow work.

In the show, the 2 main characters take part in a testing group for a new pharmaceutical drug that is intended to "fix everyone's brain." The premise is we are all at least a little eff'd - up in one way or another and the source of that is some unresolved trauma.

Each participant is given a series of 3 pills. A, B, and C. They take them one at a time, they "sleep" and have an experience.

A is for Angonia (greek for agony) and when the person takes it they relive their worst trauma. Exactly as it happened. When they wake up they are shaken as if it had just happened. (Side note: Some people become addicted to the A pill. They actually enjoy revisiting their trauma again and again. Interesting, no?)

Once the trauma is identified and fresh in mind, the participants are given the B pill. This stands for Behavorial. In this phase, which is repeated several times, the users have dreams in which they see in an exagerated way, how their behaviour has been affected by their trauma. They see all the lies they tell themselves about themselves. They face ugly versions of themselves, and they see the kinds of awful things they are capable of.

The last pill, C, stands for confrontation. This is where the participants face their shadow, the darkness, the place where they've become stuck, and confront and resolve it.

It's a strange show for sure. In my opinion, it is beautifully made, the acting is brilliant (the main characters go through many iterations of themselves.) There is A LOT going on. There is a fair bit of humour but it is on the dark side for sure. I really don't think that anyone with any familiarity with Shadow work could miss the parallel with it in this show.

If anyone else has seen it, I'd really like to know what you thought of it.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Re: Shadow Work in Science Fiction: Maniac

Post by Joan Marie »

I made this post (above) a while back and forgot about it until someone just thanked me for it.

I'm bumping because I 'm hoping there might be someone else out there who has seen this show, "Maniac".

It also kicked up my interest in engaging in some Shadow work now that the nights are so long! I'm feeling the time is right. I amy also binge this show again.

Seriously, it's very weird but very good. It's also filled with dark humour, my favourite kind.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Diana
Sage

Re: Shadow Work in Science Fiction: Maniac

Post by Diana »

I must have missed this post when you made it. I'm always looking for good series on Netflix (usually give up after a fruitless search.) Am just going to watch this week the last season of The Crown and then I'll look into Maniac. Actually sounds right up my street.
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)

Return to “The House of Cards: Asking Questions/Sharing Insights”