This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Identify this crystal please

Instagram and Tumblr are filled with photos of beautiful card spreads with gorgeous stones and bundles of herbs scattered about. Here we learn more about these power substances and how we use them.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Identify this crystal please

Post by Joan Marie »

It has me stumped. It's close to several things but not exactly. I can't find it in any of my books and no luck online. Any ideas?

crystal3.jpg
crystal02.jpg
crystal01.jpg
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Pen
Sage

Re: Identify this crystal please

Post by Pen »

It looks like a group of cloudy quartz crystals - they're not always clear.
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream...

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Pen wrote: 04 Jun 2018, 17:11 It looks like a group of cloudy quartz crystals - they're not always clear.
hmm--maybe.
You are right, there are so many types of quartz.

There is one called "Fairy Wand Quartz" which often carries multiple hexagonal terminated crystals in a cluster like this. They are milky but not orange like this one. This one has a distinct orange-y color at the bottom that become more yellow toward the terminus.

There is another quartz called "Cathedral Quartz" which also has this upward thrusting cluster formation, but is normally less twisty. It is also normally milky or brownish and not so orange.

This crystal has such a distinct formation and distinct coloration that I thought it had to have a more distinct identity.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

The orange colour seems to rise from the base of the cluster - possibly caused by iron in the strata the crystals grew from. It's hard to tell from a photo though - if you have a jeweller's lens or magnifying glass try taking a closer look.

I have a tame expert though - away at the moment but back on Friday. I'll let you know what he thinks.
All that we see or seem

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

He says it's hard to tell just from the photo, but if the crystals have 6 sides it could be corundum, which can occur in a 'distorted' formation like this and that the orange colour is from the host rock.
All that we see or seem

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC

Return to “Crystals, Gems and Minerals & Herbs”