This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Is mystery a luxury beyond the means of most people?

Explore the philosophical and existential questions of life with the Tarot. Jump into an ongoing conversation or start a new one!
Merrick
Sage

Is mystery a luxury beyond the means of most people?

Post by Merrick »

I’m taking a shot at the question “Is mystery a luxury beyond the means of most people?” As I scrolled the questions that one really jumped out at me so I grabbed my deck and started shuffling.

Since dodalisque pointed me here from my pips practice thread in the TdM section, I’m going to do this as a pips only reading from my Noblet:

fbHkwJ4_d.jpg

Six of cups, two of swords, three of cups.

The uniformity of the six of cups really jumps out at me. Straight lines abound, each cup is nearly in its place and the foliage creates a boundary. The moment I pulled that card I got a flash of people on treadmills, cars on production lines, endless rows of identical suburban houses. This is society today and everyone is just trying to keep their own cup full. There’s no intermingling here.

The two of swords in the TdM style is one of my all time favorite tarot cards. I just love the look of the blooming flower contained within the curvature of the swords. There’s space but also boundary, growth and inhibition, and an overall sense of balance. Here the tone is a little sinister. The flower represents mystery, the mystery that some of us seek. It’s locked away, but it must be locked away, because if it were freely available it wouldn’t be a mystery.

Then there’s the three of cups. This card also carries mystery with it. The chalices remind me of the Eucharist, in and of itself a mystery, especially if one believes in transubstantiation. The foliage grows freely among the cups, perhaps a sign that the mystery is unfolding. However, the upper cup is encircled while the lower two sit outside of the foliage’s embrace. There’s an inequity here. Is the upper cup receiving the mystery, do the lower cups have to go through the upper to be granted access? Is this not what we see in La Pape, who offers benediction to his supplicants while keeping his secrets to himself? Or is this a demonstration of the Middle Way, the resolution of two opposing forces through the alchemical wedding? Is it two parents doting on a baby, marveling at the mystery of life and the way it propagates?

Finally, does a preponderance of gold cups not just scream luxury? If the flower is the mystery, it’s hidden in a private garden, another luxury. And yet do we not all possess such things inside of us? Even the poorest person can have a rich interior world, which is ultimately where the mystery lives. The tarot itself is an instrument of mystery, and it’s more popular today as a tool for self discovery and esoteric study than it has ever been.

So I do think mystery is a luxury. But I do not think it is a luxury beyond the means of most people. It may not be of interest to most people, but should that interest spark in a person, they will find their way to the mystery within.
“You should acquire only the power of helping others. An art that does not heal is not an art.” -Alejandro Jodorowsky, in conversation with the Tarot de Marseille
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Re: Is mystery a luxury beyond the means of most people?

Post by Joan Marie »

Merrick wrote: 28 Mar 2020, 22:12 I’m taking a shot at the question “Is mystery a luxury beyond the means of most people?” As I scrolled the questions that one really jumped out at me so I grabbed my deck and started shuffling.
Merrick, I moved this post to it's own thread now.
Plato's Cave works best if each question has it's own thread.
You can change the title/subject line if you want. 💕
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Merrick
Sage

Post by Merrick »

Joan Marie wrote: 28 Mar 2020, 22:15
Merrick wrote: 28 Mar 2020, 22:12 I’m taking a shot at the question “Is mystery a luxury beyond the means of most people?” As I scrolled the questions that one really jumped out at me so I grabbed my deck and started shuffling.
Merrick, I moved this post to it's own thread now.
Plato's Cave works best if each question has it's own thread.
You can change the title/subject line if you want. 💕
No, this is great, thank you!
“You should acquire only the power of helping others. An art that does not heal is not an art.” -Alejandro Jodorowsky, in conversation with the Tarot de Marseille
dodalisque
Sage

Post by dodalisque »

Merrick wrote: 28 Mar 2020, 22:12 I’m taking a shot at the question “Is mystery a luxury beyond the means of most people?”
When I first look at the three minors you choose they always seem so characterless and flat, but it only seems to take a few words to make them come bustling to life. The repetitive orderliness that you draw attention to on the 6 of Cups made me think of traffic jams and the idea of wasted time. Perhaps time is the luxury we need to enable us to explore mystery. I have no idea how the other two cards might develop this line of thinking.

Feel free to ignore this idea completely but I thought of another question today that you might like to try:
Is telling lies like running for a bus, something you only do when you have to? Or if not, what is it like?
chiscotheque
Sage

Post by chiscotheque »

Merrick wrote: 28 Mar 2020, 22:12 It may not be of interest to most people, but should that interest spark in a person, they will find their way to the mystery within.
neat reading. i especially like the way the 2 swords divide the 6 cups into 3 cups. this seems to resonate with your last comment, that most people can pursue mystery but they may not be interested in doing so. luxury is a funny word - it implies both having and also enjoying what one has. the 6 of cups suggests plenty, but if we pursue the "mystery within" that luxuriousness is simplified - just as our modern age is all about convenience yet no one has any time or even an attention span, so "luxuriating" a moment ironically provides austerity - a weeding out which allows the flowers to grow.

everything's a bloody mystery; to think otherwise and decry our own ignorance a luxury is akin to hoarding toilet paper.

dodalisque
Sage

Post by dodalisque »

chiscotheque wrote: 04 Apr 2020, 18:06 just as our modern age is all about convenience yet no one has any time or even an attention span, so "luxuriating" a moment ironically provides austerity - a weeding out which allows the flowers to grow.
This is funny the way the terms of this equation are slithering around. So,to get this straight in my head, you're saying that simplifying our life (i.e. embracing material austerity and shunning material luxury) paradoxically deepens our appreciation of the spiritual luxuriousness of the mystery of life? The foliage on the 3 of Cups also looks like a wishbone and a catapult. Therefore the relative simplicity of the 3 of Cups, compared to the decadence of the 6 of Cups, is capable of projecting us at high speed into the land of our wildest dreams, even while we are stuck motionless in a 6 of Cups traffic jam or sitting on the toilet? OK, now I get it.

Return to “Plato's Cave”