This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Victorian Romantic tarot inspired short stories

Share ideas with other writers for using Tarot in the writing process.
qndynes
Sage

Victorian Romantic tarot inspired short stories

Post by qndynes »

I've deleted the short story because it will be published at some point next year and I don't want to step over any toes. My deepest apologies, and I will share on here once it has been published.
Thoughts are things, and words have wings.
Diana
Sage

Re: Victorian Romantic tarot inspired short stories

Post by Diana »

SPOILERS ALERT

Oh my. Did I read that with pleasure!

The night steps by with slow steps. That is so beautiful !!

I don't know how much you've captured the essence of the cards, as I really don't know them apart from having gone to have a look at some of the cards before I read your story. But knowing you, you will have captured them well. Before you share you next story with us, I will definitely take some quality time to examine the cards better.

There's no way one cannot picture vividly the surroundings. Wonderful evocations. Like the clucking and bleating become music. And the tinkers patters and clanks - I really can here the sound. Anyway, I could go on giving dozens of examples so let's just say that I was really captured by the whole scene. Really.

Why does the woman bring weeds into the house? Are they edible weeds?

I must say one thing though that I got a bit tensed up when the man alone in the night starts approaching the woman. I really thought for a moment he was some kind of sexual pervert. You know, he was also baiting her before - he sounded really a bit creepy. I remember thinking "why're you telling him your address you silly woman!!!" I was most relieved to learn that he was just dear old Death.

Waiting now for more. "tapping my feet impatiently".
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
qndynes
Sage

Post by qndynes »

Marigold wrote: 25 Jul 2019, 18:12 SPOILERS ALERT

Oh my. Did I read that with pleasure!

The night steps by with slow steps. That is so beautiful !!

I don't know how much you've captured the essence of the cards, as I really don't know them apart from having gone to have a look at some of the cards before I read your story. But knowing you, you will have captured them well. Before you share you next story with us, I will definitely take some quality time to examine the cards better.

There's no way one cannot picture vividly the surroundings. Wonderful evocations. Like the clucking and bleating become music. And the tinkers patters and clanks - I really can here the sound. Anyway, I could go on giving dozens of examples so let's just say that I was really captured by the whole scene. Really.

Why does the woman bring weeds into the house? Are they edible weeds?

I must say one thing though that I got a bit tensed up when the man alone in the night starts approaching the woman. I really thought for a moment he was some kind of sexual pervert. You know, he was also baiting her before - he sounded really a bit creepy. I remember thinking "why're you telling him your address you silly woman!!!" I was most relieved to learn that he was just dear old Death.

Waiting now for more. "tapping my feet impatiently".
Aw you, your words warm my heart. The Victorian Romantic has such a unique atmosphere to it, it sort of weaves itself around the emotions and fancies that really pulls my strings for writing.

As for the weeds, well yes, I was thinking weeds and herbs to dry out and season food, also useful for miscellaneous things around the house. I wanted to highlight that these ladies are self sufficient, and in a nostalgic nostalgic way live apart from others.

With the man leaning on the tree. Yes, I wanted to leave it like that. Where one feels uncomfortable yet pulled. There's also a thread of the fae in the story as well. We never get a clear picture of where the daughter went and what changed her as well.

I'm already working on the second story. Maybe I should post the cards pulled. I don't recall the ones pulled for this story above, but the following story I do recall because I wrote it down. The next story is focused on a fortuneteller. My goal is to have all the stories be located in the same place. So there will be stories of people that will give life to this coastal town as the narrative moves forward.
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

qndynes wrote: 25 Jul 2019, 19:50 My goal is to have all the stories be located in the same place. So there will be stories of people that will give life to this coastal town as the narrative moves forward.
Now that's just lovely. Little vignettes of life on the shore. I'm curious to read the rest.

About the weeds - for some reason I was thinking of those often useless weeds one pulls up in the flower bed. I had a huge argument once with a gardener who is sent by the owner of the building to trim our hedges. He insisted on pulling up the little weeds as he called them (they were edible ones like dandelions) that grow in in the cracks between the paving on my terrace. He seemed to think that anything that wasn't planted deliberately was a weed and sort of evil. I didn't win the argument. He said he was there to make things tidy. He still does it every year.
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
qndynes
Sage

Post by qndynes »

Marigold wrote: 26 Jul 2019, 19:29
qndynes wrote: 25 Jul 2019, 19:50 My goal is to have all the stories be located in the same place. So there will be stories of people that will give life to this coastal town as the narrative moves forward.
Now that's just lovely. Little vignettes of life on the shore. I'm curious to read the rest.

About the weeds - for some reason I was thinking of those often useless weeds one pulls up in the flower bed. I had a huge argument once with a gardener who is sent by the owner of the building to trim our hedges. He insisted on pulling up the little weeds as he called them (they were edible ones like dandelions) that grow in in the cracks between the paving on my terrace. He seemed to think that anything that wasn't planted deliberately was a weed and sort of evil. I didn't win the argument. He said he was there to make things tidy. He still does it every year.
Oh yeah, no, weeds, edible weeds are super good. I'm very much into thinking outside the box as far as plant medicine goes. Dandelions are major immune supporters and there are loads more as well. Weeds are a symptom of soil deficiency or some kind of soil imbalance or issue. Weeds also have a function. I am very much against what is too tidy and forced into a box or stringent category. Things arise for a reason, it behooves us as living beings as well to think on this and remember. :D That gardener is no bueno.
qndynes
Sage

Post by qndynes »

I just wanted to give a heads up, this short story was just accepted for publication in a short story compendium. So, I might, not sure how all this works, have to remove the story from here. I'm super excited, very very excited. I was picked out of 500! And the short story compendium will only include 12 short stories so it was quite a tight race. I don't know how these writing rights or logistics work and I don't want to step on any toes. :geek:
Diana
Sage

Post by Diana »

qndynes wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 15:28 I just wanted to give a heads up, this short story was just accepted for publication in a short story compendium. So, I might, not sure how all this works, have to remove the story from here. I'm super excited, very very excited. I was picked out of 500! And the short story compendium will only include 12 short stories so it was quite a tight race. I don't know how these writing rights or logistics work and I don't want to step on any toes. :geek:
Well done you !!!! That's really lovely. Let us know how the work is progressing and where we can read the rest !!!! :D

Return to “Tarot for Writers”