This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

The Journey of Le Bateleur

Share ideas with other writers for using Tarot in the writing process.
Diana
Sage

The Journey of Le Bateleur

Post by Diana »

Would anyone like to join in a collective Tarot tale ?

We use majors only from any deck, so 22 Chapters to our finished story.

The idea is to have a story that has coherence and follows from one card to the next in the correct order with the Fool as the last.

I'll illustrate what I mean by starting out with the first chapter - Le Bateleur (Magician) which I wrote last night. I've feminised Le Bateleur in my story, as I've always felt that this character has both female and male aspects. And also because I'm a feminist! :lol:

Jump in whenever you like, just note what card was just posted, click "post reply" and be sure to post the next one in sequence.

For the subject line please use the following format so it is clear:

Chapter 3: Empress
Chapter 4: Emperor
etc.

Once we get through all 22 we can start again!

I know we have a lot of good writers and creative minds here, so let's give this a go!
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Diana
Sage

Chapter One: Le Bateleur / Magician

Post by Diana »

CHAPTER 1

THE JOURNEY BEGINS

These are eyes that speak of a farewell. A last tender glance at the past, but there’s no hint of nostalgia. Gratitude perhaps, but no regrets. Her feet are planted firmly on the ground. She is determined.

This magician, this manipulator of objects and of minds, has laid out her various artefacts as well as a bag with concealed belongings on a table that stands rather unsteadily on the rugged earth.

And with baited breath, we wait in eager anticipation. Slowly, slowly, she lowers her left hand and in equal measure raises the right. In a direct line towards each other. Any second now and they will meet. What will happen when the two collide ?

la basteleur.png
Card is from the Grimaud Tarot de Marseille
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Diana
Sage

Chapter 2: La Papesse / High Priestess

Post by Diana »

CHAPTER TWO

I’ve been waiting for you; it’s written in my Book that you would arrive today”. And the Bateleur noticed for the first time a saintly- and wise looking woman, in rich warm robes, seated before her. Le Bateleur looked around rather startled. The whole scene had changed in a flash. It was as if she had been transported to another world. Well, at least her magic had worked !

The woman spoke again. “Beyond this veil behind me is your path of initiation. If you go beyond this veil, there is no return. But I must in all fairness warn you that the road can be perilous. You may fall into a deep pit or have to battle great demons. However, I can also promise you starlit nights and warm summer days. I can assure that that each dragon you slay will lead you one step further to an eternal starlit night and summer day. You will meet on your way many guides. They will be there for you always, but you will have to recognise and acknowledge them before they are able to assist you.

So, little Bateleur, what do you wish to do ?

The Bateleur felt something move in her heart. It was strange to her. It was like a melody playing a silent song and then a faint memory stirred from within. With a deep breath, she said :

I will pass through the veil”.

papesse.jpg
Card is from the Véritable Tarot de Marseille de Kris Hadar
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Chapter 3 - l 'imperatrice

Post by Joan Marie »

"I thought you would say that." came a voice from above.

"Who said that?" le Bateleur and la Papesse said in unison.

Suddenly their eyes were drawn upward by strange sound. It was the fluttering of the wings of l'Imperatrice.

l'Imperatrice from Marshamallow Marseille
l'Imperatrice from Marshamallow Marseille

"It is I" she responded."I heard le Bateleur say she'd like to pass through the veil. Well I know she is an adventurous soul and such a journey must appeal very strongly to her."

"I have warned her of the dangers." said La Papesse. "La Bateleur is not afraid."

"Oh I know she isn't afraid." laughed l'Imperatrice. "I just wonder if she knows why she wants to do this. Is she sound in her intentions?"

La Bateleur was feeling uncomfortable being talked about when she was standing right there. She was a little nervous around these two, but decided to speak for herself.

"I choose to go because I felt something move in my heart. It was strange to me. It was like a melody playing a silent song and then a faint memory stirred from within me. I know this means I must follow my destiny beyond the veil." le Bateleur declared.

"And why now?" inquired l'Imperitrice, sincerely curious.

Le Bateleur's mouth opened as if to speak, but no words came out. The two ethereal ladies stared, waiting for her answer.

"I do not doubt the movement of your heart my dear." explained l'Imperatrice patiently relieving the tension. "But a decision of this sort should not be undertaken based on a momentary whim of the heart. Tell us what has brought you to this place, at this time, that has made you ready to embark on such a journey. The momentary fluttering of heartstrings will not get you through times of tribulation. You need real conviction for that."

With beads of sweat forming on her brow, La Bateleuer....
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
qndynes
Sage

Chapter 4: The Emperor

Post by qndynes »

With beads of sweat forming on her brow, La Bateleuer....
Took a step forward and found herself facing a mountainous land, with faint white peak pinnacles, yet others smaller and steep. A formidable land that upon first glance looked incapable of being crossed. Trees were scarce, and the sun bore down scorching the reddish soil.

What am I to do here? I can barely make headway in this terrain Le Bateleuer asked herself, hoisting her pack firmly over her shoulder. Somehow she needed to make her way across, or somewhere. She began the arduous walk, the act of moving and surveying. Realizing as she moved that what looked bleak at first glance was teaming with life. Little insects crawling about, green shrubs pushing out of the ground here and there, as hardy as the soil that bear them. Above, hawks soared at intervals, their screech a cry of determination. Le Bateleuer continued onward.

Slowly the day wore on, weary and exhausting. When night arrived, she stopped at the first green thing she met taller than herself, a wily knotted olive tree. Leaning back against the trunk, she laid down her pack and slumped on the floor, happy to have found a place of rest, even if for a moment. The moon had yet to rise, and so it was that only the stars glittered above. Less than a couple minutes had passed and she was sound asleep, her body and mind surrendering to the aches of the arduous day.

20190603_114303-496x661.jpg

"What do you seek child?" A thundering voice asked.

She was before a walled city, with towers at each corner and a curved gate the size of a small mountain open before her. Inside the walls a city teemed with noise, a cacophony of life.

"What do you seek child?"

She couldn't answer, she was voiceless before the thundering one, whose voice encompassed the landscape. Despite her loss she knew the answer to the question. Entry.

"I am asking you child, what do you seek?"

Since she couldn't speak, her next option was move, and so she raised her right arm and pointed ahead toward the gate.

"Why?"

That is the perennial question, she thought to herself, why? With her hand still raised she directed her gaze beyond the gate, toward the mountain peaks beyond.

"Ah, I see." And the Ah of this voice vibrated in all the land as if emanating from the ground upward.

She awoke with a jolt, sore but rested. Once again she stood before this reddish land of peaks and dry ground. The sun rising in triumph. She sat with the tree a little while longer, enjoying the coolness from the night still clinging to the bark. She opened her pack, drank water, and took out her tools again. Laying them out under the canopy of the olive tree. She spent a good part of the morning looking and thinking.

When the trunk of the tree was no longer cool, and the shade no longer enough, she put her tools back in the sack and got up. Looking ahead in the direction she had pointed to in her dream, who was the voice and where was the city? With these questions in mind she took one step forward and began walking once more.
Thoughts are things, and words have wings.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Chapter 5 - The Hierophant

Post by Joan Marie »

le Bateleur trudged forward feeling shaken from this strange dream.

"Why are you doing this?" l'imperitrice had wanted to know.
"What do you seek?" and "Where are you going and why?" the strange booming voice of her dreams had inquired.

She was beginning to get a little nervous. She thought she could wing this adventure, but these authority types with their flowing robes and booming voices were starting to cause her to doubt herself. Overwhelmed by the tasks at hand, she was beginning to forget who she was. She was forgetting what she was. le Bateleur!

Suddenly she realised she'd been staring at the ground as she walked for some time. So she looked up. And saw this:

V- The Hierophant
V- The Hierophant

A staircase leading into the sun. In the middle of this desert.

"Am I dreaming again?" she wondered. Then a huge black bat flew down to just above her and said in a friendly voice, "Hi!"

Well this was surprising. But then again, not really.

"What is your question for me?" asked le Bateleur, bowing her head to this formidable figure.

"Sweetie. No disrespect, but do I look like I'm searching for answers?" The bat started laughing in a friendly fun way and the staircase glowed and shimmered.

"I guess not." le Bateleur smiled. "Can I ask you a question?"

"Of course!"

le Bateleur was speechless and she didn't know why. She managed to sputter out, "I keep meeting these people and they ask me questions about where I'm going and what I'm doing and why I'm doing it and I don't know the answers."

"You sure about that?"

She realised it wasn't answers to those questions she lacked. She simply lacked the words, the language to explain when put on the spot like she'd been.
Remembering what she was, le Bateleur suddenly understood something very fundamental. Putting words and explanations to inspired acts of magic breaks the spell! It was her instinct that had prevented her from answering! Her magician's instinct.

The Bat, sensing this epiphany, smiled and said, "Well it looks like you have things in hand my dear! I'm gonna go, but..." the bat began rummaging around in its pockets,,,"You might need these."

The Bat tossed a shiny heavy ring with three large keys on it. Instinctively le Bateleur raised her index finger and the ring landed right on it, spinning.

And whoosh! the bat was gone and the staircase folded up into the sky.

"Thanks!" she said to no one.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚

Return to “Tarot for Writers”