This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Goddess ID

The Cult of Mithras, Zoroastrianism, The Etruscans, The Mystery Cults, The Greek and Roman Gods, The Druids,...We look at these worlds and consider their influence.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Goddess ID

Post by Joan Marie »

I got this beautiful statue as a gift many years ago.
I have never been able to identify her.

Does anyone know who this winged snake goddess could be?

tumblr_b561ba3a71c5bf3d24895dddd5dbd88a_ff635feb_540.jpg
tumblr_d348524f18c8229713a8edb4f45390a4_c071c2da_540.jpg

tumblr_b70d3412b7c8b2ce777d0b414134937f_5bb76294_540.jpg
tumblr_41c4c2529203424dd79860dc7d7821c2_0eea5331_540.jpg
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Diana
Sage

Re: Goddess ID

Post by Diana »

She's beautiful. I can't make out what she's holding in her hands. What it is ?
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Diana wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 19:37 She's beautiful. I can't make out what she's holding in her hands. What it is ?
I've always thought it was a shell, but I'm thinking now it could be some kind of container, like an offering of something, maybe perfume or oils.
lovelightpeace
Seeker

Post by lovelightpeace »

Such a beautiful goddess statue! She looks like Naga Kanya, the Guardian Goddess of the Three Realms. Here's a link for more information http://serpentsanctum.com/naga-kanya/
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

lovelightpeace wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 23:16 Such a beautiful goddess statue! She looks like Naga Kanya, the Guardian Goddess of the Three Realms. Here's a link for more information http://serpentsanctum.com/naga-kanya/
She certainly does!
I think you have found her for me.
I have had this statue for many years (20+) and could never identify her. So glad I finally thought to ask here.

I'm now reading about her.

Thank you so much. 🌸
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

Indeed, this apparently is Mucalinda, the multi-headed Naga Deity who according to legend, protected the Buddha from the elements while attaining enlightenment meditating under the Bodhi tree after 7 days.

Although many sculptures depict the Naga with 7 cobra heads corresponding to each day the Buddha sat under the tree, yours has 5 heads, but it seems to vary.

Here is a picture of a relief carving that resembles your brass casting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mucalinda ... ry_BCE.jpg

The sacred conch shell (Shankha) is an emblem of Lord Vishnu.
Rocket Raccoon: Blah, Blah, Blah.....
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Papageno wrote: 16 Feb 2020, 20:57 Indeed, this apparently is Mucalinda, the multi-headed Naga Deity who according to legend, protected the Buddha from the elements while attaining enlightenment meditating under the Bodhi tree after 7 days.
I think I have to disagree. She really seems to be Naga Kanya.

There are a whole host of Nagas, and all are part serpent, but Naga Kanya is the one depicted pretty much exactly like my statue. The really defining feature is the wings and the conch shell. I looked up images of Mucalinda and didn't see any with wings or the shell.

Mucalinda
Mucalinda
download.jpg (24.5 KiB) Viewed 3680 times
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

Joan Marie wrote: 16 Feb 2020, 21:11

I think I have to disagree. She really seems to be Naga Kanya.

There are a whole host of Nagas, and all are part serpent, but Naga Kanya is the one depicted pretty much exactly like my statue. The really defining feature is the wings and the conch shell. I looked up images of Mucalinda and didn't see any with wings or the shell.

I stand corrected, whenever I see the image of the multi-headed cobra I automatically associate it with the legend of Buddha and the Bodhi tree.
I should research more thoroughly before posting, haste makes waste and all that.

I came across this picture of Naga Kanya which I really love:
https://i.ibb.co/R4bfpMV/nage-kanya1.jpg
Rocket Raccoon: Blah, Blah, Blah.....
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Papageno wrote: 16 Feb 2020, 21:37 I came across this picture of Naga Kanya which I really love:
https://i.ibb.co/R4bfpMV/nage-kanya1.jpg
That is unbelievably beautiful. Thank you for sharing that.
I really wish I could get that on a poster or a tapestry or something.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

I just got a new book, "The Nepalese Shamanic Path" by Evelyn C. Rysdyk.

As you see in the photos above, this goddess (Naga Kanya) holds a conch shell in her hand.

Thumbing through my new book this morning I saw this:
The conch shell (sankha) represents a collective and individual rhythm or sound of life, which is a nonverbal vibration. The conch represents our will and the capacity to hold or let go. The sound of the conch helps to clear places with heavy energies, to recover primordial memories, to invite the beneficial spirits, and to accompany the soul essences into other realms"
She also has the body of a serpent.
Nag raja, serpent represents wisdom, sensibility, contact with reality, and inner change or transformation. It also reminds us that the path of knowledge or learning is not a direct line but one that sways from side to side as it moves forward.
Understanding the background, even just a little bit, of the individual components of these objects adds so much depth to their presence.

When I see her now, and I do every day when I wake, I am reminded to be patient with myself and with others.

Return to “Mythology, Gods & Goddesses, Ancient Cults & Occultists”