This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Tarot art commissions

If you are a deck creator, writer, printer, professional reader, shop owner, or just want to learn more about the business side of Tarot, this is the place for you to discuss the issues, ideas, and innovations of the Tarot Biz.
Lionsmane
Seeker

Tarot art commissions

Post by Lionsmane »

I'm currently illustrating a commission for a themed deck. I've been given the name of a certain pantheon, matched up with the Majors, and some keywords. I have found there is a lot of conceptual work that goes into making each card, especially afterwards, in the critiquing process. It's an enjoyable and rewarding process to learn with someone, but I commonly encounter feeling annoyed at the same point in the process. I feel like I'm being included in a tradition of men in esoteric groups paying women to do cards for them, and they are seen as perhaps the more physical/tantric side of things. It gets even more awkward when I'm doing a feminine card. I did ask whether they were paying for an experience of having some art done, or whether it was the finished product that was most important, and of course, they said the finished product. But when I said I felt I was doing conceptual work also, but that I wasn't attached to being credited, I just wanted to know what my role was, they backed off. I keep thinking that it doesn't really matter, and that I'm being petty, because in the fullness of time, it will be clear how much I put into it. I can tell I'm supposed to feel like I'm being selfish and profane, but originally in the tradition, people didn't put their own names on their work, they dedicated it to a deity. It seems like there is a double standard in the tradition of expecting women to sublimate themselves in spiritual service, and the men get a worldly title. One thing I've learnt so far from sublimating myself to this is that people need to earn the knowledge. That seems like its part of the role and responsibility, if it is actually a spiritual service. I could easily make my own deck aswell. I just really enjoy working and learning with people, and perhaps take it way too seriously.
Lionsmane
Seeker

Re: Tarot art commissions

Post by Lionsmane »

And before you dismiss this as political, I want you to consider the history of religious art. Of course, aristocratic people would retain magical artefacts throughout various genocides, and so it became common practice to use that cash to build churches, and pay artists to illustrate them. Many of these cultural institutions served a valuable function, and so it would not have been a stretch for the artist to relinquish control, for their own church.

The tarot has a lot to teach, and it happened to be the High Priestess card I was working on. These men's groups cannot justify treating these objects as social capital, if they cannot understand the point of the card. Every time I bother to set a boundary in the public sphere, I am constantly stigmatised. It's just not worth being the vessel of other people's endless noise. Everyone's been convinced that if they draw a boundary, or practice discernment in communication, that they deserve abuse and ostracism. People just don't know the value of setting boundaries for people to grow into. I'm told the card shouldn't have anything to do with 'those silly middle aged women's ideas of Hecate'. That 'it must be a virgin'. And then they think they can manipulate me with money. Even the concept of the virgin has been fetished and commodified. It originally meant vigourous - young, healthy, physical. I've found my church, and its not in this constant totalitarian projection and collapsing of boundaries. Its got nothing to do with being 'too political', its just about integrity. You see if you're coming from a place of integrity before you stigmatise me as being political as opposed to divine, or in need of a psychologist because I have a chronic illness. Because DEMONstrably you aren't.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Hi!

I have some experience with this. Not specifically with tarot, but I used to do video work for others. I also was a tv producer and hired video artists and editors and other professionals to do my "bidding." So I know the feeling from both sides.

Thing is, it's never easy. Never. I always see the RWS 3 of Coins when I think about this issue.

3 of coins.jpg

The artisan is up there working while two others, probably the people who hired him, maybe one is a "consultant". It always looks to me like they are interrupting him to comment and I always have the feeling it's taking all the artist's power to not club them over the heads with that mallet or whatever it is he's holding. Because he probably needs the money.

Whenever you take a commission it's going to be a challenge because as an artist it's really hard to deal with any direction from others. YOur ideas are inspired and although that is appreciated and a large reason why you were hired, when your inspiration doesn't match what's in their heads, you're going to have to be either an extraordinary communicator and sell your idea, or you're going to have to compramise. If it comes to the latter then it is a question of how much you'll have to.

In the end, if it isn't working out, you'll have to walk away. The reality is, it's their project, you are the hired hand. If you all are unwilling or unable to collaborate in some way then it's just going to be a bitter experience.

I know it would be disappointing. And maybe also a financial hardship (many an artist has swallowed their pride to pay the rent). In the video biz, most of us had a second name we'd use for the credits if the thing we worked on was a piece of shit. We called it the "nom de shit" as in "will you be putting your real name on this or your nom de shit?"

As I said, I also worked on the producer side. I tried always to hire people whose judgement and talent I trusted and I was always very grateful for everything they brought to the project. I relied on them a lot. But I also had ideas and I appreciated when they helped me to flesh them out. Sometimes they were difficult. Sometimes I was. But when you have a good working relationship you can get through those things and be happy with the result. Usually. Sometimes it did not. And I can tell you the one paying pretty much always "wins" for good or for ill. Note the word wins is in quotes.

Being an artist for hire in any field requires more than just your skills at drawing or writing or editing or whatever it is. You also have to be an artist at sensing situations, circumventing trouble, listening and understanding and communicating your ideas.

It sounds like you are in a really challenging place with these guys. You may be the wrong fit for what they are trying to do. And vis-versa. There's nothing wrong with that. But be gracious and keep your dignity, especially if/when you leave the project. Believe me, that will make an impression on them. That's also an artist-for-hire skill, professionalism in any situation.

Don't know if any of that was helpful. Just a bit of my own experience.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
reall
Sage

Post by reall »

lol tnx JM for new perspective on 3 of pent now I'll always remember that *club meaning! :mrgreen:

on topic I think this is Exactly what makes *professional aka you basically accept job for hire & go with it as painting the wall,,, according to instruction no opinions required,,, however considering it will take Lot of your time best accept only work that resonate with you well so it won't eat on your nerves as imo if it contradict your personal beliefs it's not worth your time & health! like you say better use that time & paint Tarot you'll enjoy it's easy to selfpublish with 0$$$ investment with print on demand or kickstarter!:) check my guide here: https://creativenlight.blogspot.com/202 ... -know.html
& ask if you need help with anything! :mrgreen:

p.s lol now I know about s* name will think of good one for novel I plan pubishing! :D

All Besr!
reall/Irena

Return to “The Business of Tarot”