This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

A certification Process for Printers

If you are a deck creator, writer, printer, professional reader, shop owner, or just want to learn more about the business side of Tarot, this is the place for you to discuss the issues, ideas, and innovations of the Tarot Biz.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

A certification Process for Printers

Post by Joan Marie »

One of the really promising suggestions that has come up in regard to working with printers is the idea of creating a Certification process.

What does that mean?
We create a list of reasonable, minimum requirements that we, as a group, present to printers. Any printer that agrees to these requirements, contractually, becomes ICOTA Certified.

For us, it helps us create a list of trusted printers.
For the printers, it gives them the opportunity to prove they are trustworthy. This is obviously to their benefit. Remaining on this list is to their benefit.

Obviously, this is not a fool-proof solution, however, there are many ways printers can back up their legitimacy. There are legal documents they can produce to prove they are a registered company. (I will detail some of this in another post)

In this thread let's share our ideas for the kinds of things we would like to see, as a group, be part of the Printer's Certification.

There are many hard-working, legitimate printers, everywhere. Certification can serve as a way that we find and support them and they us.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Re: A certification Process for Printers

Post by Joan Marie »

One thing I would like to see is some kind of commitment to verifying ownership/rights to files submitted for print.

Printers need to make sure the files they are accepting for print actually belong to the person submitting them.

This could mean requiring a copyright number (this is something I know nothing about)
It could also mean requiring a signature/contract of some kind.

Again, liars are gonna lie, but, a lot of people will be put off by any kind of formal process that is imposed, any kind of affidavit or contract that has to be signed.

Realistically, we know we won't end counterfeiting, but measures like this can put a real dent in it.
reall
Sage

Post by reall »

I think this is good topic to start! also we need someone from card printer industry to tell us what copyright protection measures are available today? software, hardware, production line & online communication & file sharing etc so we know what printer is more advanced/implementing measures that will back up this certificate? also it would be good idea to check if there is sort of coating we can implement on our cards to make it hard for scan or something? :mrgreen:
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

Joan Marie wrote: 15 Jul 2020, 13:36 One thing I would like to see is some kind of commitment to verifying ownership/rights to files submitted for print.

Printers need to make sure the files they are accepting for print actually belong to the person submitting them.

This could mean requiring a copyright number (this is something I know nothing about)
It could also mean requiring a signature/contract of some kind.
Here in the UK copyright is automatic - registration isn't needed. If printers were encouraged to verify the copyright of the artist with some sort of legal document (if, for example, the artist had to obtain a document verified by a solicitor) the costs, time and trouble involved would make the process of sending something to print simply unworkable for many if not most small publishers.

In the US I believe registration of copyright is $55. Art Copyright
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream...

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Pen wrote: 17 Jul 2020, 14:47 f printers were encouraged to verify the copyright of the artist with some sort of legal document (if, for example, the artist had to obtain a document verified by a solicitor) the costs, time and trouble involved would make the process of sending something to print simply unworkable for many if not most small publishers.
We need to get some more information on what the process actually is. and how much it costs, etc.

I do know that some deck creators already do this (obtain copyright numbers) and they should be able to leverage those in some effective way when working with printers.

However, there could alternatively be the option to require signing an affidavit that states the person submitting the files is the owner or has the owner's permission.

Again, not foolproof, but it would be a deterrent to some would-be counterfeiters to realise there is at least some scrutiny going on.

And to our original point, any printer willing to comply with this is more likely to be trustworthy.

Return to “The Business of Tarot”