This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Artists & Writers: You can help stop deck counterfeiting

If you are a deck creator, writer, printer, professional reader, shop owner, or just want to learn more about the business side of Tarot, this is the place for you to discuss the issues, ideas, and innovations of the Tarot Biz.
Papageno
Sage

Re: Artists & Writers: You can help stop deck counterfeiting

Post by Papageno »

reall wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 22:27 @Papageno I'm Big Fan of Your Vintage Antypiracy Posters You Should Make full deck!xD lol
will share on my insta with your permision!;)
@reall
I'm glad you like my humor, however, you MUST NOT post that picture on your Instagram account, so NO, you do not have my permission nor that of the Roy Lichtenstein estate.

The main body of the card is on old Lenormand, but the picture inset with the 4 gossiping women are images copyrighted by Roy Lichtenstein.

So in essence, NO, I must NOT make a deck out of this concept.
That single image was only cobbled together for the purposes of conveying an idea with some humor.

In hindsight, it was probably extremely poor judgement to post that image, sorry Joan Marie.

I have deleted the image altogether.

My apologies for this dumb ass faux pas.
Rocket Raccoon: Blah, Blah, Blah.....
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

Just for the record... Images used for the last two were from Wikimedia Commons - all in the public domain.

The lady (with her fingers crossed under the folds of her dress!)
was by :
Thomas Cartwright - This image is available from the National Library of Wales You can view this image in its original context on the NLW Catalogue.

The oil sketch of Andromeda and the pirate was created from:
- 3199 (OK) - Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen.jpg
Created: 1636 [/quote]

...and an illustration by Howard Pyle:
The Buccaneer was a Picturesque Fellow: illustration of a pirate, dressed to the nines in piracy attire. The oil painting, which the illustration was of, was sold in 1905 under the title The Buccaneer and is currently part of the Delaware Art Museum's collection.[1]
Date 1905
Source Pyle, Howard; Johnson, Merle De Vore (ed) (1921) "Captain Scarfield" in Howard Pyle's Book of Pirates: Fiction, Fact & Fancy Concerning the Buccaneers & Marooners of the Spanish Main, New York, United States, and London, United Kingdom: Harper and Brothers, pp. Plate facing p. 196
Isn't he gorgeous? I had to change his eyes to make him look at her. :)

The 1920s film still was from:
Description
English: Still from the American drama film The Fortune Teller (1920) with Marjorie Rambeau and an unidentified actor, on page 70 of the June 5, 1920 Exhibitors Herald.
Date 5 June 1920
Source Exhibitors Herald (Apr. - Jun. 1920) on the Internet Archive
Author Albert Capellani Productions / Robertson-ColeThe Fortune Teller.
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream...

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

reall wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 22:27 Omf! @Pen & @Papageno I'm Big Fan of Your Vintage Antypiracy Posters You Should Make full deck!xD lol
will share on my insta with your permision!;)

JM how about "Explore yourself true self with True deck?:)

Discover Your Destiny with Good Deck!:)

Legit reader use Legit deck!

Original Deck Original readings!;D
Do please share!

And I like your ad. copy :thumbsup:
All that we see or seem

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

I tweaked this to make the text pop a little more and to make it fit the instagram format (1080x1080 pixels)

I hope you like it.
I still need some hashtags and it would be great to have a place to direct people, but for now what do you think?

Insta Ad 03 FAKES.jpg

I know it's not as balanced and nice as Pen made it originally, but it needs to pop a bit more to be seen as people scroll by and to get the message across fast. Is it okay?

Ad 2 Pirates.jpg

Here's another
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
reall
Sage

Post by reall »

JM Luv your 1st poster it's my fav will share tomorow!:D Thanks @Pen public domain my fav & that drama is Gold!:D
& @papageno no worry good I asked!;)
BTW this is what I shared today JM see if you can add it somewhere to our poster collection?:)
& here is my original insta post if you wish to credit feel free to copy past!;)

Eta: JM just remembered we have a shop list on this forum?:) so why not start here?:) All we need is to note publishers to sign up their official pages & shoppers to list their trusted web shops?:) so we can hopefully have full list for people to check instead amazon/ebay/etsy?:)
Attachments
cirofightpiratesposter.jpeg
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Pixie ad.jpg

I added an artist credit to this one. It is so beautiful

I am getting some others submitted over at facebook and there are a few more here I have to work on.

FYI- This weekend I will be adding a new section to this forum dedicated to anti-pirating. Benebell Wen will be participating and some others. We are working to form a coalition of deck creators with the main purpose of taking on the issues surrounding Intellectual property.

You'll see more in a few days.
reall
Sage

Post by reall »

JM Thank You for doing great job here! I've shared @Pen poster today (with credit!) will keep doing so daily! :D
looking forward to see results! :mrgreen:
Pen
Sage

Post by Pen »

Thanks Joan Marie and reall - it's good to be able to do something to help and hopefully this campaign will have a definite effect.
All that we see or seem

Edgar Allan Poe

Fig Tree Press

Pen's shop at MPC
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Pen wrote: 11 Jul 2020, 09:20 Thanks Joan Marie and reall - it's good to be able to do something to help and hopefully this campaign will have a definite effect.
Thank you so much for sharing it and helping this campaign. I have more news about it coming soon.
reall
Sage

Post by reall »

just remembered to share my ideas for fighting piracy here! :mrgreen:
1) dedicated section on your web page: https://sites.google.com/view/myluckycard/stopirates
2) extra card(s): https://creativenlight.blogspot.com/202 ... ht-it.html
3) & poster for everyone to share! :D
Attachments
stop pirates bridge size.png

Return to “The Business of Tarot”