This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

2019 Carta Awards

If you are a deck creator, writer, printer, professional reader, shop owner, or just want to learn more about the business side of Tarot, this is the place for you to discuss the issues, ideas, and innovations of the Tarot Biz.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

2019 Carta Awards

Post by Joan Marie »

Have a look and cast your votes for the best decks of 2019. (I know, it's still 2019, but anyway...)

It really is pretty intense. A panel of judges has names the top 10 in 7 different categories.
They ask you to vote for your top 3 in each category.

The website has all the information about the categories, the judges and the criteria they used to make their choices.

I think this is of special interest to deck creators because it really very clearly outlines all the criteria of a top deck. We all know the importance of each individual part, but seeing it all together like this is pretty interesting. It really does make you appreciate all that goes into getting a deck put together.

So have a look and cast your votes!: 2019 Carta Awards
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Diana
Sage

Re: 2019 Carta Awards

Post by Diana »

In the "Best Tarot Deck" category, there is listed the Mucha Tarot by PIetro Alligo.

But when I look on the internet to find more about it, I only come up with this deck:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/ta ... view.shtml

which is nothing like the deck on the tarot foundation website.

Is there something I'm missing here ?
Rumi was asked “which music sound is haram?” Rumi replied, "The sound of tablespoons playing in the pots of the rich, which are heard by the ears of the poor and hungry." (haram means forbidden)
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Marigold wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 19:13 Is there something I'm missing here ?
It was an error. I just went to the site and they had a live chat window available so I asked.

The images were correct, it was the title that was wrong. It was not the Mucha tarot (obviously ;) ), it's a deck called "After Tarot".

I has now been corrected.
katrinka
Sage

Post by katrinka »

What's the nomination process for this thing?
They missed some really great decks. Other than Benebel's, these all look pretty generic. :(
"Protect your spirit, because you are in the place where spirits get eaten." - John Trudell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyb9mPfwNhs
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

katrinka wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 22:22 What's the nomination process for this thing?
They missed some really great decks. Other than Benebel's, these all look pretty generic. :(
I don't know much about it, I just saw Benebell's tweet yesterday and checked it out.
It appears the decks are submitted, probably by the creators or publishers. Not sure how the word is spread. Then from the submitted decks the judges narrow it down to the top 10 to be voted on. That's what I gathered from a short perusal of the site.
katrinka
Sage

Post by katrinka »

Joan Marie wrote: 09 Jul 2019, 17:05
katrinka wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 22:22 What's the nomination process for this thing?
I don't know much about it, I just saw Benebell's tweet yesterday and checked it out.
It appears the decks are submitted, probably by the creators or publishers.
Yes, they'd have to see more than a few images online to make a decision.
It's problematic, though. People who don't send them a free deck, for whatever reason (didn't know about this, unwillling to send out freebies, etc.) are out of the running.
Not sure how the word is spread. Then from the submitted decks the judges narrow it down to the top 10 to be voted on. That's what I gathered from a short perusal of the site.
I'm familiar with a few of the judges. One is a facebook friend that I met when she was trying to learn Lenormand. But we haven't interacted in some time, I think she fell into the Marcus Katz camp, IIRC.

But J.R.? He's the Beautiful Creatures guy. Take a few minutes to watch this review, and ask yourself if he would have informed opinions:

I've never heard of the others.

It would be one thing to have people like Mary Greer, Paul Hughes Barlow, Rachel Pollock, Caitlin Matthews, Allison Cross, etc. on the committee. I may not agree with their choices, but there would be a strong knowledge base and sound rationale behind their choices. But they don't seem to want any close involvement with this. That says something to me. ;)
"Protect your spirit, because you are in the place where spirits get eaten." - John Trudell
katrinka
Sage

Post by katrinka »

Joan Marie wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 19:54 [The images were correct, it was the title that was wrong. It was not the Mucha tarot (obviously ;) ), it's a deck called "After Tarot".

I has now been corrected.
So much for the fall into matter. :lol:

This is the kind of stuff I'm referring to. The RWS Fool is about to actually fall. Not hang from the ledge where he could pull himself up (when he's done sniffing the flower, of course.)

If the meanings are negated, IMO the deck shouldn't be in the running.
Capture.PNG
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

You know, it's not the Oscars. It's just an attempt (one attempt) at tackling a "best of" in the tarot world. There are others. Eventually it would be really great to see some group rise to a level that addresses all the points you made and more.

It might be a really good thing for the whole community.

I'm not sure. I do like the recognition of quality work and efforts in different areas. But making it so competitive is maybe not the right thing. I don't know. Maybe having categories of decks for example, otherwise you're comparing apples and oranges.
I'd have separate categories maybe for Watercolor, Collage, RWS clones, Black and White decks, Animal decks, and whatever you would call something like Spirit Keeper's Tarot, etc.

Competitions like this one might be helping pave the way for something down the line that serves the work, and the audience better. But I do like that people are trying.
katrinka
Sage

Post by katrinka »

Ummm...
Look what won Best Tarot deck last year: The Beautiful Creatures Tarot. Just play the video, it's near the beginning.
https://www.internationaltarotfoundatio ... art-awards

Nobody actually thinks that deck is the best of the year. Did you watch Kelly's review upthread?
JR apparently invented an award to give himself.

Return to “The Business of Tarot”