This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Trends in Deck Sales

If you are a deck creator, writer, printer, professional reader, shop owner, or just want to learn more about the business side of Tarot, this is the place for you to discuss the issues, ideas, and innovations of the Tarot Biz.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Trends in Deck Sales

Post by Joan Marie »

I recently acquired some interesting information regarding how different types of decks are selling currently.
it's kind of interesting.

The source is Michelle Welch, owner of SoulTopia metaphysical shops. The information is from a survey she conducted amongst a large number (which I don't recall, sorry) of metaphysical shop owners across the United States.

Here are the results:

Drastic Incline:
  • Pagan/Wiccan/HooDoo
  • Candles
  • Healing
  • Funny/Sassy

Sharp Incline
  • Energy/Elements/Themes
  • Chakra
  • Flowers/Herbs/etc
  • Hip/Cool Decks
  • Moon Cards
  • Traditional Tarot Symbols
  • Life Purpose Cards

Slight Incline
  • Kabbalah
  • Animal Totem
  • Pretty & Positive Cards
  • Straight Intuitive/Psychic Development

Slight DEcline
  • Shamanism
  • Dragons
  • Vikings
  • Manifestation
  • Art/Literature

Sharp Decline
  • Steampunk
  • Runes

Drastic Decline
  • Angels
  • Faeries

Steady or No Change
  • Animal Cards
  • Rider Waite
  • Tattoo
  • Mantras/Mudras
  • Alien/Paranormal
  • Egyptian Style

Being Requested
  • Palm Reading
  • Mediumship

These are just current trends (according to this survey), but it's the kind of thing a lot of shop owners pay close attention to.
One glaring omission to me is historical decks. I'm no expert, but I think there is a massive interest in them right now with a growing audience for Tarot de Marseille.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this list or these trends? ANy thoughts on what might influence them?
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
BlueStar
Sage

Re: Trends in Deck Sales

Post by BlueStar »

Okay, so I'm really late in finding this post:) But I would hazard a guess that perhaps there is a slight incline also in Lenormand (and perhaps Kipper decks?) This is just based on my observations on Youtube, seeing more readers in the past year or two reading with Lenormand. I've got no concrete proof:)

It would be interesting to see this information for 2020.
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

Well, Steampunk is through. There are three Steampunk decks that I know, and Steampunk esthetic was hot some ten years ago, but now it has become a cliche. So it was obvious that this was a fashion with a short life span. Names like Barbara Moore and John Matthews, interesting concepts etc, can add something to the attractiveness of a deck, but overall, I'm not surprised.

Runes - that's more difficult. Maybe this is one of the things that sound cool, run through boards and forums, people buy it - and then find that their good old tarot reads better? or that they actually want to work with runes they made themselves?

The decrease in fairy and angel decks is most likely also the outcome of market saturation. There are some lovely fairy and angel decks but this is also the realm of Doreen Virtue (and I'm sure there are more). Doreen Virtue was never taken seriously by the "real" tarot crowd but after her conversion to Christianity and her absolutely ridiculous claims that everything she marketed before was now obsessed by the don't-say-the-word-DEEEEVIL.... well, if people didn't see through her before, they most certainly did afterwards. I wonder, I have no proofs of course, whether that hysterical demon-fear-mongering piece of idiocy, that infamous list, contributed to the downfall of her former kingdom, the oh-so-cute-always-positive angel and fairy decks.

I wonder whether unicorn decks did any better? I hope not because this is what Doreen says about them:
Unicorns – Neon-colored unicorn images can be used by the devil to mesmerize us into his kingdom, where glitter substitutes for the bright light of Jesus. Remember that the devil always copies God, using poor quality substitutes. Whether or not unicorns really existed in the past (and the KJV Bible uses the term unicorn in place of oxen), we must be cautious about sparkly enticements that the devil places before us. Pray for Holy Spirit’s wisdom and guidance about having unicorn images in your home.
Yeah, that's why they put images of unicorns and holy virgins on tapestries in medieval abbey....

Hip and cool before pretty and positive? is that good news or not? :-)

Such an interesting list. Zeitgeist rules us all. I look at the Sharp Incline and what did I just buy? Moonology... and I long for some botanical decks!

Never understood the thing about dragons.

Please keep us updated when new lists come up! I'm so glad I saw this.

And oh how I wish there was a shop for cards somewhere close to me, but no chance......
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

Well, no matter what she says, I love Doreen's Magical Unicorns Oracle Cards.
I believe in Crystal Light.
Charlie Brown
Sage

Post by Charlie Brown »

Also, I have no data, but I just have the impression that historical decks aren't usually purchased in the metaphysical shoppes. I've bought decks in those places, but never a TdM or the like and, honestly, the reason I started focusing on TdM was, at least in part, because it felt removed from that whole scene.
I believe in Crystal Light.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

I do have to say I agree with Doreen Virtue on at least one thing, glitter is from satan.

I had a houseguest once who wore glittery makeup. For years afterward I would still see it in the bathroom she used. Years.
cloudberry
Seer

Post by cloudberry »

Yo
I agree with the tato Tarot deck trend.
I have seen a lot of new decks in this design and i think they are al amazing artworks
People pure time, energy and spirit in making these cards so i think that today's prizes are pretty fair.
Especially taking the time it takes to make a deck in count.
My favorite type of new decks is the ones with humor and pop-art (ex, zombie tarot). Even though i dont use my themed decks for readings i still enjoy possessing them.
Best regards
/ cloudberry
cloudberry
Seer

Post by cloudberry »

Nemia wrote: 10 Apr 2020, 22:38 Well, Steampunk is through. There are three Steampunk decks that I know, and Steampunk esthetic was hot some ten years ago, but now it has become a cliche. So it was obvious that this was a fashion with a short life span. Names like Barbara Moore and John Matthews, interesting concepts etc, can add something to the attractiveness of a deck, but overall, I'm not surprised.

Runes - that's more difficult. Maybe this is one of the things that sound cool, run through boards and forums, people buy it - and then find that their good old tarot reads better? or that they actually want to work with runes they made themselves?

The decrease in fairy and angel decks is most likely also the outcome of market saturation. There are some lovely fairy and angel decks but this is also the realm of Doreen Virtue (and I'm sure there are more). Doreen Virtue was never taken seriously by the "real" tarot crowd but after her conversion to Christianity and her absolutely ridiculous claims that everything she marketed before was now obsessed by the don't-say-the-word-DEEEEVIL.... well, if people didn't see through her before, they most certainly did afterwards. I wonder, I have no proofs of course, whether that hysterical demon-fear-mongering piece of idiocy, that infamous list, contributed to the downfall of her former kingdom, the oh-so-cute-always-positive angel and fairy decks.

I wonder whether unicorn decks did any better? I hope not because this is what Doreen says about them:
Unicorns – Neon-colored unicorn images can be used by the devil to mesmerize us into his kingdom, where glitter substitutes for the bright light of Jesus. Remember that the devil always copies God, using poor quality substitutes. Whether or not unicorns really existed in the past (and the KJV Bible uses the term unicorn in place of oxen), we must be cautious about sparkly enticements that the devil places before us. Pray for Holy Spirit’s wisdom and guidance about having unicorn images in your home.
Yeah, that's why they put images of unicorns and holy virgins on tapestries in medieval abbey....

Hip and cool before pretty and positive? is that good news or not? :-)

Such an interesting list. Zeitgeist rules us all. I look at the Sharp Incline and what did I just buy? Moonology... and I long for some botanical decks!

Never understood the thing about dragons.

Please keep us updated when new lists come up! I'm so glad I saw this.

And oh how I wish there was a shop for cards somewhere close to me, but no chance......
Yo
I dont mean to disturb you, i just read your post and would like to say its unfortunate that you dont live close to a tarot shop.
However, i didnt think i did either but then i discovered that a bookstore close to me actually sold decks AND could order them for costumers.
If you live close to a bookstore (oldish one with second hand books) you might find something. Or at least some fine books with theme in your favors.
best regards
/ cloudberry
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

Where I live, there are no such bookstores, unfortunately. Normal bookstores have a lot of life coaching decks which don't interest me, and always a little shelf with Lo Scarabeo decks - most of which I own already. I live in a remote area where nobody's interested in tarot. :-( And the boom is over. Ten, fifteen years ago, there were tarot shops everywhere. I don't know why that trend ended - but it did.
Merrick
Sage

Post by Merrick »

Charlie Brown wrote: 11 Apr 2020, 07:43 Also, I have no data, but I just have the impression that historical decks aren't usually purchased in the metaphysical shoppes. I've bought decks in those places, but never a TdM or the like and, honestly, the reason I started focusing on TdM was, at least in part, because it felt removed from that whole scene.
I’m lucky enough to live in an area with multiple metaphysical shops and I’d say on the whole you are correct. While I did nab a Lo Scarabeo Minchiate Etruria from my personal favorite shop, that was one of two historical decks they stocked (the other being the Conver TdM from the same Lo Scarabeo reproduction line that I passed on). One of the bigger shops in the area has maybe two or three historical decks, certainly no deep selection compared to the endless RWS and Thoth clones, and absolutely no books on the history of tarot or how to read with TdM, etc. Heck, even finding a CBD or a Jodo/Camoin deck led me to Amazon as everyone told me it would be a special order on their end anyway.

Sadly in the English speaking world in the metaphysical shops, I suspect RWS is about as historical as it gets. Almost makes me want to open a tarot specific shop that carries the new stuff and the historical decks, offer books about the scholarship of tarot, hold classes in the history as well as doing readings, etc. I’m not sure something so niche would survive in the long term though.
“You should acquire only the power of helping others. An art that does not heal is not an art.” -Alejandro Jodorowsky, in conversation with the Tarot de Marseille
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Merrick wrote: 11 Apr 2020, 11:39 Sadly in the English speaking world in the metaphysical shops, I suspect RWS is about as historical as it gets. Almost makes me want to open a tarot specific shop that carries the new stuff and the historical decks, offer books about the scholarship of tarot, hold classes in the history as well as doing readings, etc. I’m not sure something so niche would survive in the long term though.
Merrick, I think you are onto something here.

You might be interested in an interview I did with Michelle Welch who owns a small chain of shops called SoulTopia. She is also the person I got the list of trends from.
She has a lot of great insight into what makes a metaphysical shop successful, what people are looking for and the kind of community that often builds around one.

You can see the interview here: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=2127
Papageno
Sage

Post by Papageno »

Michelle Welch sounds like a savvy businesswoman.

Apparently that's why she has a small "chain of shops" instead of just one storefront.

That being said, I read between the lines, and from an armchair perspective, I would say that she understands:

Trends
Demographics
Marketing

I put all three categories on equal footing.

She doesn't project her own preferences above what is good for the bottom line, and she says as much.
Other factors may only be implied and not as clearly stated, but just look at a few of the "best selling" names on that
list of Tarot decks and it speaks volumes.
Rocket Raccoon: Blah, Blah, Blah.....

Return to “The Business of Tarot”