This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Rachel’s DoW 27 Ancient Tarots de Bologna

Rachelcat
Sage

Rachel’s DoW 27 Ancient Tarots de Bologna

Post by Rachelcat »

Here’s a rather rustic historic repro from Lo Scarabeo from 1995 (on the title card) or 2000 (copyright on the box). The title cards says “Antichi Tarocchi Bolognesi di Giacomo Zoni stampatore in Bologna 1780 ca. Lo Scarabeo Antico a cura di Pietro Alligo, Torino 1995.”

The “Instructions for Divination” are on cards with page numbers in Italian, German, English, French, and Spanish. The suggested spread is past, present, and future from only one suit, the one that matches the subject of the question, and then past, present, and future to pair with them from the majors. Interesting. I might give it a try!

I was looking in my collection for a deck that I hadn’t used as a deck of the week that would be somewhat close in date to 1776, since today is the Fourth of July. Circa 1780 will have to do. Not that I think members of the Continental Congress were whiling the time away playing tarocchi! Although they may have been playing with French-suited playing cards. I think I have an historic repro playing card deck around here somewhere. I’ll have to dig it up. Maybe someone did a reading on the effect of the Declaration of Independence at the time. You never know!

Ok, enough! Wash, shuffle, and interview time!

Sunday1.jpg

Most important characteristic: Cheval de Spe
I’m kind of surprised that this deck is very intellectual. Air of air. Its rusticity made me think otherwise. It is a Gemini-like deck: it is intellectual, but perhaps in a superficial way. It wants to talk about everything!

Strength: Le Fol
The deck is good at going off the beaten track. It embraces difference and new beginnings.

Weakness: La Temperance
It’s not as good at giving a balanced picture of things. Don’t ask if you don’t want to know!

What deck can teach me: VIIII Bastons
This is oddly specific, but it can teach me how to defend the truth and what I believe in. (Combination of 9 Wands and Knight of Swords).

How I can learn it: V Coupes
By accepting that defending the truth can sometimes lead to hurt feelings and painful disagreements. But you have to decide what’s more important.

Outcome of our work together: V Bastons
Conflict and competition are inevitable. I need to remember it’s about the truth and ideals, not about winning.

Well, that was unexpected. Let’s see if the deck lives up to this let’s just say interesting interview.

Fourth of July reading: What’s going to happen to my country? Is there going to be permanent damage from all these lies and conspiracy theories and power grabs? Using the deck’s recommended spread, I chose batons to be the suit of government.

Sunday2.jpg

Past: X Bastons, Le Pape
The power of authority, having the a-holes actually in office, was overwhelming to many of us. There was oppression, and then a riot. All caused by those still in authority.

Present: Cheval de Bastons, La Papesse
Now we have someone in office who wants to move on, from the pandemic and the a-holery. He doesn’t care about being in power except that he can use the power to help people and try to get things back to some kind of normal. The contrast between the Pope and Popess is important: Rule of authority through regular channels of power, and rule of “common” sense that isn’t so common, that is, respect, inclusion, and using the government to help instead of hurt people. Those of us who know the difference between right and wrong know what should be done. Those that don’t follow strong-appearing leaders for apparent protection. Fascism at its best.

Future: II Bastons, Le Empereur
Ack! I don’t know what these mean! The Emperor might be somewhere in the middle of the Pope and Popess? Not blindly following authority, but not quite achieving common-sense helpful policies? So a compromise, democratic government? But 2 batons: We’ll go back to an adversarial but functional two-party system? So basically governmental gridlock, which is better than the alternative. I was worried it meant a deeper schism into two powers, civil war-style, but the Emperor obviates that. People will accept a gridlocked government instead of trying to start their own. I hope that’s what it means! Not great, but again better than the alternative.

Well, I’m having some far out reading today. I don’t know if I should quit while I’m ahead or not!

Sunday3.JPG
Sunday4.jpg

By the way, I found my 1770s playing cards repro deck. I got it at Colonial Williamsburg. You can’t see it very well in the photo, but the paper wrapper has an embossed tax stamp. All items made of paper imported from England to its American colonies, including playing cards and books, were taxed very heavily under the Stamp Act. This, along with the tax on tea, was the “taxation without representation” that triggered the American middle-class revolution.
Please join us in This Week's Deck!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Rachelcat
Sage

Re: Rachel’s DoW 27 Ancient Tarots de Bologna

Post by Rachelcat »

Monday

What about my new moon-y project? Oldest spread, since I already have my majors separated out, and plenty of time on this holiday!

Monday.jpg

Le Toille + Roy de Bastons
I’ve made a good start, with plenty of energy. It was an inspired idea, inspired by the stars (the moon actually!). And I got right to work and took charge of the energy of the idea.

La Mort + IIII Spe
But it will come to an end just as quickly. If I stop to take a break or rest (4 Swords), it will quickly fall by the wayside.

Le Diable + VIIII Deniers
I will be tempted to pick it up again in an effort to make money or some kind of personal aggrandizement from it, but that’s not a good reason to do that.

La Temperance + Reine de Spe
When the time is right (HA! I just read “temp” as time!), the project will come up again, and I’ll be interested in pursuing it as a way of teaching and helping people, not just to say hey, look, I’m cool because I know something.

Le Ermite + III Spe
But that doesn’t mean it will come together easily. I’ll have to withdraw into my own searching before I’ll be able to share what I learned and teach it effectively (3 Swords).

Well, I think the only thing I got from this is delay. I shouldn’t worry if the project seems to go nowhere and is delayed. I’ll need that time to let it all sink into my mind and for it to jell into something really meaningful. Advice I guess I need. I won’t worry, just work on it when it feels right.

Have a wonderful Monday, everyone!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Tuesday

Serenity Prayer Spread, just because.

Tuesday.jpg

Something I can’t change: Ace de Spe
I can’t change the way my mind works. But I CAN change my mind. If I want to.

How can I accept it: Reine de Coupes
I can accept I am the way I am with introspection and self-compassion.

A gift that will bring me serenity: Le Diable
How can HE bring serenity? I guess it’s like “the poor you will have with you always.” Evil we will have with us always. We just have to do the best we can against it and resist it in ourselves. A perfect world with perfect people will never exist. Accepting that will bring us serenity.

Something I can or should change: III Coupes
I can update how I express my feelings, into more constructive ways, I guess. I shouldn’t be afraid of putting myself out there. No one is going to attack me for opening myself up, and if they do, so what?

How can I do that: Reine de Bastons
Just do it! With compassion and consideration of others’ feelings.

A gift that will bring me courage: Le Pape
There are rules and conventions for such things, opening up oneself emotionally. I can follow them if that makes it easier for me.

What’s the difference between how my mind works and how I express feelings? 10 Coupes
All the difference in the world. Having a certain personality is no excuse for not doing my part in my smaller and larger societies. It’s a duty so I should do it.

How do I know the difference? Roy de Spe
Just figure it out. Nature is giving me help. If I’m a huge introvert, I have the helps available to me. It’s only logical, there are precedents to follow, and there are duties to be done.

A gift that will give me wisdom: Le Fol
Take the opening up gradually and sensibly. But true wisdom comes with really opening up and really letting go and really going! Fear is not my friend. The Fool is!

Well, something else unexpected. Good advice here! Have a wonderful day!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Wednesday
Why the Who is in the What

Wednesday.jpg

Ace de Bastons, Roy de Bastons, VI Spe, La Temperance
At work, I will be in charge of my own work, doing what I have to do, which will involve getting the paperwork and the words right. Because we all have our part to do to get the work done!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Thursday on Friday
I got tied up with work yesterday morning and then lazy yesterday afternoon, so here’s a catch-up reading!

Ok, this is a little involved, but what I put together this morning. What should I study? Esoteric subjects (tarot, astrology, etc.), religion and philosophy, or mainstream subjects (academic philosophy, literature, history, art). Advice and outcome for each choice. Let’s see how this works!

Thursday.jpg

Esoteric subjects: Advice, VII Deniers; Outcome, III Deniers
Just enjoy my decks and books, no study needed. But if I do that, I’ll be adding to my collection!

Religion and philosophy: Advice, La Mort; Outcome, Valet de Bastons
Well, that’s a big no! I’ve let it go, so I should really let it go. My seeking days are over. I’ve sought and I haven’t found, and that’s ok. I will still feel like a beginner in having no spirituality to fall back on, but I’m strong and can do that.

Mainstream subjects: Advice, Le Toille; Outcome, IIII Deniers
Well, that’s a big yes! But I’m going to need to narrow it down a bit, I guess! I won’t spend a lot on books and classes. I can get by with resources that I can find for free or that I already have. Actually, my first thought for the 4 Deniers was that I wouldn’t be sharing what I learn very freely. It will be a solitary study, but that doesn’t mean it won’t be fruitful.

So there you have it! The cards have spoken loud and clear! Now to narrow it down!

On to today’s reading!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Friday
Is it logic? All-Purpose Spread

Friday.jpg

Me studying logic: Le Bateleur
I am a good studier, and have the knack or trick of accomplishing what I want to do.

Study of logic: VIII Coupes
It’s intellectual, but it’s also something I can have an emotional connection with. It feels right.

Outcome: Reine de Deniers
I’ll get something out of it. Something almost tangible. Again, with a feeling of connection (queen). My tenacious, down to earth Taurus rising and moon side will be pleased!

Advice: VIII Bastons
But in order to do it right, I have to have a plan for the study and follow through. It’s harder to study something like this on my own, not in a class. But I can do it (Magician) if I have a good plan.

No swords, but the Magician and 2 8s. So air/Mercury is still in good representation! It looks like an overall yes. Not the Star, but a yes!

Have a happy weekend, everyone!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Saturday, last day for Tarots de Bologna
New moon in Cancer, Honey Moon, Productivity

Saturday.jpg

What have I committed to? Roy de Spe
I have committed to becoming a master of an intellectual discipline, not just a perpetual student. Not sure about that! Or maybe I have committed to getting an understanding of my financial situation. No coins here, but I think I have the money, I just need to get the information straightened out and communicated. Cardinal air, Libra.

How am I receiving support? Cheval de Deniers
The support I’m receiving is an example of hard work. My son has worked hard to get where he is in life on his own terms and is now in the process of buying a house. I’m so proud! And it’s also a good example for me. Mutable earth, Virgo.

How am I offering support to others? VI Coupes
The only thing I can offer in return is unconditional love. And the understanding that everything I have is his, he just has to ask!

Opportunities available to me: Le Empereur
I have committed to be the King of Swords, but I have the opportunity to be the Emperor! Not only can I figure it all out, I can then take charge and really direct what’s going on, not just go with the flow.

How can I embrace these opportunities? VIII Bastons
Easy-peasy. It can all go correctly if I have a plan of action. And follow it, of course!

Outcome, the honey that will be created: VII Deniers
Once I’m in charge of my finances, I can settle down and really enjoy my physical surroundings and possessions.

No matter how productive you are, it doesn’t do you much good unless you understand where you are!

See you tomorrow with a new deck!

Return to “Week 27 - My Deck of the Week”