This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Solstice '21 Readings: Joan Marie

Greet the Solstice of 2021 with us! June 14-25.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Solstice '21 Readings: Joan Marie

Post by Joan Marie »

I will be using the Tarot de Marseille, Majors only.
I have 2 versions and I may either alternate or use them together.
I have the Pierre Madenie, 1709 and the Marshmallow Marseille which reminds me so much of summertime with its ice cream colours.

Thinking also of doing an I Ching each day also.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot πŸ’š
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Re: Solstice '21 Readings: Joan Marie

Post by Joan Marie »

Day 1. Birth of the Muses – June 14: This card shows how our inspiration and creativity is manifesting.

Day 1 The Star.jpg

Syd Barrett, one of the founding members of Pink Floyd was a fairly prolific painter, until he stopped. Someone asked him why he stopped and he replied that he learned his neighbour painted so he figured he didn't have to anymore.

I'm feeling that way about tarot decks. I've focused a lot of energy at them in the last few years. There are as many Tarot decks (Oracle and Lenormand as well) as there are ideas for Tarot decks and no shortage of talented people making them. I don't need to anymore.

I'm moving into other means of expression. Slowly. I've started already. Got myself some new things, new tools, for new mediums. And I'm finding that things are coming my way, finding me. Supplies and such. It's crazy really. Some really unexpected and random resources and tools have made their way into my life in the most random and unexpected ways that it just feels like my decision is being reinforced.

This Star card shows me a woman pouring water from 2 vases into a larger body of water. She should maybe be pouring it onto the earth to nurture the plants rather than into the pond or lake where it goes unnoticed. Reminds me of the saying, "Taking Water to the Sea" or "Coals to Newcastle."

The Stars are trying to tell her something but she isn't listening.

So, back to the topic for the day, where is my creativity and inspiration manifesting? In new places. And something (the stars?) will guide me if I am willing to listen and see.

Painting by Syd Barrett
Painting by Syd Barrett
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Day 2. Vestalia – June 15: An ancient Roman festival dedicated to Vesta, Goddess of the Hearth. This card shows us our hearth, the fire at the center of our life and home, and how to tend to it.

The Hermit sitting in some nasturtiums.
The Hermit sitting in some nasturtiums.

Interesting choice here for this theme.
Like everybody, I've been housebound for the last year, only now beginning to emerge. Bit by bit.

I am by nature a homebody. I never (well rarely) feel bored at home. I always have a lot to do here.
I need my autonomy to feel free. I take on on strange projects so any interference or discouragement is soul killing to me.

My partner is the same way, exactly. It was one of our big fears about living together until we realised that we shared that need. Once we figured that out it was easy.

We have also lately come to realise that we are seen as a bit eccentric. (We are both into projects people see as strange.)

So be it.

The Hermit is free to think and do as they wish. This freedom is what gives me the ability and inspiration to create a home and garden that truly reflects who I am at my core.

Freedom is the fire. Knowing that is the first step to tending it, preserving it. Never take freedom for granted.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Day 3. Night of the Teardrop – June 16: Remembrance of the tears of Isis causing the Nile River to overflow. This card shows what our emotions are telling us at this time.
Bring me the milk of Aset, the flood of Nebt-Het, the overspill of the lake, the surge of the sea, life, prosperity, health, happiness, bread, beer...

~The Pyramid Texts
I always really enjoy looking further into the meanings and stories behind each of these days. It invariably leads down a strange and wonderful path.

The Empress
The Empress

Today I drew the Empress.

This particular one seems very expressive to me. Her face looks sad.
The back of her chair appears to be angel wings but she is weighted down by the accoutrements of her position.

day 3 CU.jpg

I'm reminded by her that in the end, not much matters except for the lightness of the soul.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Joan Marie wrote: ↑16 Jun 2021, 05:21 I'm reminded by her that in the end, not much matters except for the lightness of the soul.
After writing this,I came across this in my reading yesterday.,
Weighing of the Heart
In the Duat, the Egyptian underworld, the hearts of the dead were said to be weighed against her single "Feather of Maat", symbolically representing the concept of Maat, in the Hall of Two Truths. This is why hearts were left in Egyptian mummies while their other organs were removed, as the heart (called "ib") was seen as part of the Egyptian soul. If the heart was found to be lighter or equal in weight to the feather of Maat, the deceased had led a virtuous life and would go on to Aaru. Osiris came to be seen as the guardian of the gates of Aaru after he became part of the Egyptian pantheon and displaced Anubis in the Ogdoad tradition. A heart which was unworthy was devoured by the goddess Ammit and its owner condemned to remain in the Duat.
I have a lot of feelings about this.

Lightness of the heart doesn't require living a perfect life. I think it comes from not being afraid to meet and accept your shadow side, to face the truth of yourself. It's interesting that this is not a measure of deeds as we are often taught by modern religions. It's a measure of self-acceptance, of love for one's self and for the greater world and spirit of love.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Day 4. Juno, Goddess of Fertility and Union – June 17: Celebrating the ancient Roman goddess for whom the month of June is named. This card shows us an area of fertile growth in our lives.

day 4 Juno.jpg

This reflects my card of the Day message that I just posted.

The Hierophant knows the secrets of the occult world and shares them. I see myself as one of the 3 people listening.

This knowledge, understanding, connection, underpins all actions and motivations.

If you look really closely at this particular depiction, there are 3 supplicants as opposed the usual 2 and the Hierophant seems to be looking directly toward the one on the left and I get the feeling this one is more connected. His (really large!) hand is out as if he will soon be the one to impart the secret knowledge.

There is a strange similarity between the hand of the Hierophant and that of this one supplicant.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Day 5. Festival of Strawberries – June 18: As the strawberries ripen, this card shows us the sweetness in our lives and encourages us to live in the moment.

chariot.jpg

This version of the Chariot shows the two horses headed opposite directions, as usual, but they are looking at each other as if they are discussing it. :lol:

The rider looks ready for anything, like she's ready for whatever path the horses decide on. She's not even holding any reins or anything.

Giving up control can be really freeing. Not only that, it can bring unexpected delights and surprises.

Living in the moment means giving in to the moment. Not trying to control it. It's about letting go.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Day 6. Oak King – June 19: A dedication to the Oak King, who is now near the height of his power in his battle with the Holly King. This card shows us our strength.

day 6.jpg

My nasturtiums are going totally crazy- in the best way.

I drew Judgement today, as my strength.

Since "being judgemental" is a flaw and not a strength, I'm going to assume this refers to my having good judgement.

This is not a quality I would have ever named for myself.
But maybe I do have good judgement. πŸ€”

This was certainly not always true.

It's kind of nice to think of myself this way.
In the past I have often deferred to the judgement of others because I didn't trust my own.
This often did not work out well for me.

I mean, I know this is being super-literal. But That's how this card is hitting me right now, so imma go with it.

I will spend the day seeing myself in this new light and see if it fits. Because my former opinion is based on a long gone version of myself. Maybe it's time for a self-image update! :D

BTW- I like the look on this angel's face. She seems pretty calm.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Day 7. Scrying – June 20: In the tradition of scrying at the time of Midsummer, this card shows us a blessing to come.

day 7.jpg

The Lovers.
What a nice card to draw.

This has a very literal meaning for me.
Just last friday we got "permission" from the state to marry. It was quite a long and complicated process. Typical German bueracracy.

I always say, when 2 people have a good thing going, why not get the state involved?

I'm being a little cynical. Never was a big believer in marriage, but here we are.
And it does feel nice to my great surprise. We won't make a big deal of it. But it will be our style.

I have a black velvet dress for the occasion.

So, blessings to come.
Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Congratulations! I'm sure you will look lovely!

Don't you love it when tarot is so literal?
Please join us in This Week's Deck!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Day 8. Summer Solstice – June 21: We are at the height of the sun’s power, the longest day, in the Northern Hemisphere; OR in the Southern Hemisphere this day is the turning point for the days to get longer. This card shows us how to shine our own light like the Sun.

june21.jpg

Look at her trying to handle a giant sword, a big set of scales and...WINGS!

By the look on her face, it's a lot but she's good with it.

It's nice to have a lot of irons in the fire
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Day 9. Honey Moon – June 22: This card shows us how to release anxieties or worries, how to enjoy ourselves.

day 9.jpg

There he is! I was wondering when he would show up.

Apparently the way to release anxieties and worries is to engage in risky and regrettable behaviours! Cool!

Or maybe it just means to let go a bit.

The funny adorable thing about this depiction is that the 2 supplicants are also devils!
Maybe the Devil never made anyone do anything they didn't want to do anyway. He just gave us someone to blame!

It's also making me think that just because my actions have often had consequences I wasn't super happy about, doesn't mean those actions, or even the consequences were "bad."

Everything has a price. Even fun.

This is either really great advice or extremely bad advice. Good thing I'm not responsible for raising a small child right now.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Day 10. Saint John’s Eve – June 23: Like the herbs traditionally gathered on St. John’s Eve, this card shows what protects or heals us.

weds.jpg

Hmmm. What to make of this?
The obvious answer to the question, what protects or heals me, seems to be, nothing.

I'm pretty convinced that life is full of randomness. Good things happen to bad people and bad things happen to good people all the time. Everything can be going along just fine and suddenly it can all change in an instant. I've only seen it happen a million times. It's pretty real.

We have to look out for ourselves. Take care of ourselves and the ones we love. Help each other in real and tangible ways, In good times and in terrible ones.

That said, I'm not averse to performing little rituals here and there to bolster myself, lift myself up to have the strength to carry on, to make good decisions, to help me know and be where I need to be.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

Day 11. Guru Purnima – June 24: Indian festival of expressing gratitude to teachers. This card reminds us of a lesson we have learned, or an experience or person who taught us something, that we should remember and have gratitude for as we move forward.

The Emperor
The Emperor

I don't want to get too cornball here, but the Emperor card, in any deck, always makes me think right away of my life-partner, T.
This is a person who has built a really solid secure life. He's practical and realistic and responsible. That's one side of him.

And he shares what he has built with me and with my son.

I can't believe my luck sometimes.
And I have learned so much.

And that symbol on the shield on this card looks like the insignia for his home football team (soccer to you americans).
So that's kind of funny. :lol:
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

First I want to say that I really love this sweet little deck, the Marshmallow Marseille. And it really spoke to me in profound ways during these last 12 days.
I'm glad I chose it.

Day 12. Parvati, Earth Mother – June 25: The card shows us how to ground ourselves and how to connect with the earth’s abundance.

Today would have been my mother's 96th birthday.

Before I get to this last reading, I want to make a mention of something.
When I first started this forum I saw my role as being sort of "the ghost in the machine." I thought it was best if I remained aloof, an enigma of sorts, in the background. I even fooled around with some mysterious names for myself and that kind of thing.

But that didn't really work for me and I have noticed that as time has gone on I have become even less aloof, less of a mystery. I hope that everyone here can feel the same, safe to let your guard down, unconcerned about being judged. Free to explore whatever comes to mind or heart as you engage in your practice.

We are each a microcosm of the entire world. There is no feeling you can have or share that isn't a human feeling. Tarot helps us to explore that within a wonderful dynamic structure to help us give shape to all those experiences and feelings. Our craft, our practice, whatever it is to you, brings us closer to our core self. It brings us closer to each other and connects us to our world.

Day 12.jpg
A beautiful card to end with. Le Bateleur, The Magician, The Mage!

This is easy. In fact these last 12 days these cards have spoken to me so clearly. I see the messages without any hesitation or doubt.

To ground myself and connect with the earth's abundance, I must see and connect with the magic that is all around me. Appreciate the mystery everywhere that only wishes for me to discover it. Mystery, magic, waits for us. It wants to be found, but it wants us to be ready to find it.

Outside my window right this second I see a bumble bee pollinating the flowers on my tomato plants. I started them from the tiniest seeds and now they are big strong plants covered with blossoms bringing joy to the bees and soon to be covered with gorgeous fruits to bring joy to me and mine.

There are many who would say that it's just science. Seeds + earth + water + sun + some care = tomatoes. True enough I guess.
But what is behind all that? Where is the spark that brings such abundance and beauty from a few simple ingredients?

I played a role in this miracle. What luck, what an honour to be included. πŸ…
TheLoracular
Sage

Post by TheLoracular »

Joan Marie wrote: ↑25 Jun 2021, 06:43 Today would have been my mother's 96th birthday.

Before I get to this last reading, I want to make a mention of something.
When I first started this forum I saw my role as being sort of "the ghost in the machine." I thought it was best if I remained aloof, an enigma of sorts, in the background. I even fooled around with some mysterious names for myself and that kind of thing.

But that didn't really work for me and I have noticed that as time has gone on I have become even less aloof, less of a mystery. I hope that everyone here can feel the same, safe to let your guard down, unconcerned about being judged. Free to explore whatever comes to mind or heart as you engage in your practice.
It has felt like an honor and privilege to follow your Solice '21 reading. Thank you. For sharing it and for all you do at the admin of CoT, and for all that you are as a person/practitioner. You've had a subtle and meaningful impact in my own life over the last 10 months, more than I think you'd guess, simply by the things you do share.
β€œ Tarot is a great and sacred arcanum- its abuse is an obscenity in the inner and a folly in the outer. It is intended for quite other purposes than to determine when the tall dark man will meet the fair rich widow.”
― Jack Parsons
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

TheLoracular wrote: ↑25 Jun 2021, 17:29 It has felt like an honor and privilege to follow your Solice '21 reading. Thank you. For sharing it and for all you do at the admin of CoT, and for all that you are as a person/practitioner. You've had a subtle and meaningful impact in my own life over the last 10 months, more than I think you'd guess, simply by the things you do share.
❀️ I am honoured by your words. Thank you so much. I'm so glad you are here.

Return to β€œSummer Solstice Reading June 2021”