This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Rachel’s DoW 15 Motherpeace Tarot

Rachelcat
Sage

Rachel’s DoW 15 Motherpeace Tarot

Post by Rachelcat »

This was one of my first decks (along with the Hanson-Roberts) back in the 80s. Its official name on the box is The Motherpeace Round Tarot Deck by Karen Vogel and Vicki Noble. And one of my first tarot books was Motherpeace Tarot Playbook. I didn’t get the first book for the deck until much later, and I don’t think I ever read it.

The deck is very second wave feminist in its conception and execution, including its naïve artwork. It all seems so innocent and unrealistic now. (But progress has been made and will continue. Just not as optimistically, I guess.)

But for this week, I’m interested in getting into the deck’s (mostly hidden) astrological roots, working with a round deck, and indulging in some my-tarot-life nostalgia!

Let’s start with the interview!

Sunday.jpg

Deck’s most important characteristic: IX Crone
Its wisdom is the wisdom of age and living. And of solitude. The crone is taking a known path and paying attention to the sky and ancient advice of which way to go.

Deck’s strength: 3 Discs
Its strength is its form. Being round is important to it. And the artwork. Not beautiful or striking, but useful and full of information. The women are working together to make a good, serviceable wall. But it’s not meant to protect but not completely exclude because it has a nice window in it.

Deck’s weakness: II High Priestess
A weakness is it’s too intuitive and too much interested in ignoring the cultural background of tarot and Western civilization? I don’t really see it that way. It’s more of a corrective really. Maybe aesthetically we have trouble connecting with this obviously powerful priestess of a very different culture.

What can it teach me: 2 Swords
It can teach me to be analytical, which it already has. It was the first inkling that the numbers have meanings that are then combined with the suits. And I’ve never given up on that! This is an amazingly balanced woman imitating the posture of a wise ibis?, connecting the outwardly unconnected islands with her actions and her mind.

How can I learn it: 8 Cups
I love an octopus on an 8 card! But it doesn’t give us much for meaning! I’m going to go with diversity in unity: These are all very different containers, but they all do the same job, contain liquids. The octopus has made me put my mind (8) to figuring out the cups. I can learn about being analytical by being analytical with a good dose of intuition!

Outcome of our work together: 2 Cups
We will have a happy mutual relationship! And there is mutual attraction here. The mermaid and merman are joining in marriage on the ocean floor as the moon waxes and the dolphins play. Seems like a good sign for this week!

Have a great day! I’ll be back with more tomorrow!
Please join us in This Week's Deck!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Rachelcat
Sage

Re: Rachel’s DoW 15 Motherpeace Tarot

Post by Rachelcat »

Monday
New moon in Aries, Seed Moon

Monday.jpg

A seed I have planted: Shaman of Cups
Here I am, combining fire and water, which can create energy (steam heat or steam powered engine) or just a good cup of tea! I am becoming more and more in charge of my emotions and less letting them be in charge of me. I still feel plenty, but I can control how I react to the feelings.

What is taking root: Ace of Swords
Being in a better relation to emotions leaves room for new ideas and new ways of thinking to root.

The breakthrough I need to grow: IX Crone
Kind of ironic, that I need to embrace being old so I can grow. But it’s true. I know I’ve said this before, but being over 60 is so freeing. I don’t have to be beautiful or perfectly in shape or perfectly professional. I just have to do the best I can. But I think the breakthrough is going beyond that to living differently (not just thinking and acting differently). I’m thinking about retirement, but I’m not sure I have the finances for that. But a change is coming, just not sure what it is!

Happy spring, everyone!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Tuesday
Trying out my new cardinal virtues spread.

Tuesday.jpg

Outer

1. Fortitude: What is my greatest strength? IV Emperor
Well, not sure if this is a strength, but I pretty much see everything through the lens of power. It’s a strength in that it helps me know when power issues are in play. I also have a good understanding of traditional Western culture, but try to stay a little on the outside of it: like the square is inside the circular card.

2. Temperance: What do I have too much or too little of? XV Devil
I’m too much aware and concerned with what is going wrong and what is morally wrong.

3. Justice: Where in my life do I need to be more fair, or who do I need to be fair to? XIII Death
I don’t really know on this one. Perhaps it’s only fair to my ex to let bygones be bygones?

4. Prudence: What should I be doing? 5 Swords
Instead of worrying about who’s wrong and who’s right, I should be speaking out about what’s wrong.

Inner

5. Fortitude: What is my goddess superpower? 4 Swords
I WISH meditation were my superpower! Maybe I need to practice to get there!

6. Temperance: What’s my paradox? That is, what two opposite ideas are both true for me? Shaman of Swords
I’m a good leader and a good follower. I’m good with language and communicating, but I’m bad at communicating what is most important to me.

7. Justice: What in my life needs a more healthful balance? Shaman of Cups
A card from yesterday. I need more balance between fire and water, action and emotions, masculine and feminine.

8. Prudence: What do I need to look at from a higher level? What’s the big picture? Daughter of Discs
She’s earth of earth, so the big picture is stay grounded in reality. These days of lies and “alternate facts” won’t last forever. And even if they do, we still need to realize that there IS a reality beyond and behind all the talk. Truth is truth, like it or not. That’s the big picture!

Well, I think the spread went well. I’m thinking the paradox thing may confuse people, but it’s a good thought experiment if they take up the challenge!

I’m still working on my presentation for May 1. I’ll post it here when it’s done, and the spread too.

Have a very happy Tuesday!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Wednesday
I get my first shot this afternoon! What will be the effects? Elemental star seems right for this.

Wednesday.jpg

I’m getting a lot of cards I’ve already gotten. Don’t know what that means, except maybe I’m not getting the message?

Physical: IX Crone
It will make me feel old!

Emotional: 8 Cups
I won’t be very emotional about it. Just satisfied that I did what I need to do.

Intellectual: 6 Discs
I’ll get an even better understanding that I’m doing it for everyone, not just myself.

Energetic: 5 Wands
My friend is afraid of the vaccine and doesn’t trust authority about it. We argued yesterday about whether she should get it or not. I’m all for it, but I understand that she should wait if she’s really not comfortable. But I told her it’s for everyone, not just herself . . . And so it goes, conflict but understanding between us.

Spiritual: IV Emperor
Having vaccines available for everyone now is a big boost toward people beginning to trust in authority again, political leaders and doctors and scientists. After the last 4 years we went through, who can blame anyone for being wary and skeptical? On either side. (But notice no-one injected detergent. So you have to give people some credit for some common sense . . .) But yeah, that’s the spiritual effect: More people will realize there ARE people who have some power and some knowledge who actually want to use it to help people, not just make money and toot their own horns (although there will always be that as well . . .).

Have a great day, everyone!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Thursday
How will the meetings today and tomorrow go?
All-Purpose Spread

Thursday.jpg

Me: I Magician
I’ll make it all happen! And make it look easy!

Issue: VII Chariot
The meetings will move along smoothly, and when they’re done they’re done!

Outcome: 2 Cups
It will be more social that I expect. Everyone will be chatting and personally checking in.

Advice: Son of Cups
I should join in the bonhomie to some extent but remember that I’m a secondary part of this activity. Don’t be dour and all business.

Well, all very good cards here! Wish me luck, too! Have a great day!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Friday on Saturday
I wasn’t feeling well yesterday morning, so I skipped my reading to get ready for the meeting for work I couldn’t skip! I’m fine now. It came on and went away very suddenly. I’m thinking it was from the vaccine, even though it started two mornings after I got it . . . ?

I need a nice round spread to do with my round deck. How about the Motherpeace version of the celtic cross? I worked with it a good bit back when I was a beginner. Let’s see how it works today. How will the catering for the wedding go?

Friday.jpg

Questioner: Shaman of Wands
I’ll be paying for the catering. They showed me the menu, and all looks good. I’m ready to go forward and pay for whatever they want. Just do it!

Atmosphere: 4 Cups
I’m not that emotionally tied to the food portion of a wedding. It just has to be acceptable.

Obstacle: XIV Temperance
A wedding is not the time to cut corners. I support going with more rather than less. Within reason, of course. We don’t want the caterers to take advantage of us. But anything else is ok with me.

Root: Priestess of Swords
Subconsciously, I’m looking back at my wedding, in which we did cut corners. So I don’t want that!

Recent Past: X Wheel of Fortune
It was a bit of a chance that they picked the caterer they did. But then things came into alignment.

General Sky: 10 Wands
On the top of my mind, I’m thinking about all the work that goes into wedding planning. I’m happy to take some of the pressure off if needed.

Future: VII Chariot
Things will move forward as planned.

Self-concept: 0 Fool
I really don’t know how to do all this planning. I’m happy to go along and pay for whatever.

Hopes and fears: 10 Swords
Same as 10 Wands, is this all too much to deal with? Are they submitting to others’ opinions instead of their own? I doubt it!

House: 1 Magician
They know what they’re doing and are enjoying making choices and being in charge of all the planning.

Outcome: 2 Wands, 5 Swords, XIX Sun
The spread rule is keep pulling until you get a major, and I got the Sun, so all is well! Once again, there is a lot to do, and there may be some confusion along the way, but all will turn out very happy for everybody!

Well, that was fun, and easy to read with a mundane question. Moving on to today’s reading. See you soon!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Saturday, last day with Motherpeace
Now a square spread! Wirth’s courtroom spread. I got an early retirement offer from my firm. I’ve already decided I don’t want to do it. I’m just not at the right age and place in my life. So this isn’t for advice, just a check-in and for perspective about it. (So “against” and “for” are against and for my decision to decline the offer. Needed to clarify all the positives and negatives!)

Saturday.jpg

Against: V. Hierophant
The firm has all the power here. It’s their world, I’m just living in it. With 22 years with the firm, I have to settle for whatever they want to pay me or do with me. It’s not like I’m going somewhere else at 62 years old.

For: Shaman of Wands
On the other hand, I do have power: The power to accept or decline. I’m taking this to mean my quick decision is a correct one. As soon as I read the offer, I realized it’s not for me.

Advice: 2 Cups
I need to rely on my relationships with my co-workers/bosses. I know they won’t let me go. They’re happy with me, and I’m happy with them.

Outcome: 4 Cups
I will be emotionally detached from this, both positively and negatively. Right after we got the offer, they started sending out emails about the upcoming staff appreciation week. And I felt very grumpy and not appreciated. But that will pass, and I’ll be neither very emotionally connected nor very emotionally upset with it all.

Summary: 5+2+2+4=13, XIII Death
Very funny, cards! When I told my son about my decision, I said I’m going to work until I die, and I won’t die before the timing of the offer runs out. He jokingly said promise me you won’t die within the next ?? months. So I guess the cards were listening. More seriously, everything comes to an end, and so will my working days (even if it IS when I die). It can be stressful to not know when and not know how much money you’ll need, but everyone goes through it (if they’re lucky). But I need to be thankful I’m in such a stable place and accept that it can’t last forever.

This is definitely a confirmation of my decision. And my way of explaining it! Have a lovely weekend. I’ll be back tomorrow with a new deck.

Return to “Week 15 - My Deck of the Week”