This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Two Turkeys: A Spread for Giving and Receiving

Discussions about individual cards, their symbolism & meanings. How the cards combine and speak to us in spreads is another thing altogether! Here we learn about both.
Rachelcat
Sage

Two Turkeys: A Spread for Giving and Receiving

Post by Rachelcat »

Here is a Thanksgiving-themed spread. (I've tweaked it some since I posted it on Aeclectic a few years ago.) Enjoy! Let me know if you like it.

I wish everyone a joyful and grateful Thanksgiving!

Two Turkeys A Spread for Giving and Receiving.pdf
(270.88 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
Please join us in This Week's Deck!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
tiagohyp
Seeker

Re: Two Turkeys: A Spread for Giving and Receiving

Post by tiagohyp »

I did this spread and enjoyed a lot! Can I post the reading in this topic? I think it would be nice to share so that more people are interested in checking this out or just see how different the spread talk to us.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

tiagohyp wrote: 22 Nov 2018, 13:08 I did this spread and enjoyed a lot! Can I post the reading in this topic?
Please do!
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
tiagohyp
Seeker

Post by tiagohyp »

Well, I used this spread after drawing my card day this morning, a couple hours ago. At that time, I just did a brief mental reading with some quick research on the phone before going out to do some stuff from routine. I still don’t know all the cards “meanings” by head, I need to read about them through some sources. But I can already feel the overall feeling and have memorized a decent amount of cards.

So, while writing this I already “know” what the spread is about, but maybe I’ll get some new perspectives while reading more about each card and writing this… who knows?

I shuffled my deck after drawing my daily card (Queen of Wands) and felt really inspired to do the Thanksgiving Spread right away. After about a minute shuffling while concentrating about the theme of the spread, I started drawing cards.

The Receiving Hand filled up pretty quickly, except for the Sword card that took a long to be pulled out of the deck. In the meantime, I could almost entirely fill the giving hand as well. During those draws, I remember cards like the Wheel of Fortune, Justice, Hierophant, Ace of Wands, some Court Cards and major cards as well being “discarded”. Finally the swords came, and the result of the full spread is as follow:

full spread thanks.jpg

(I use the Art Nouveau Tarot Deck, which I bought on a online shop here in Brazil. It's my first deck)

After looking for the spread for some time, before start reading the cards individually, I noticed the pattern between the two hands! The minor arcana cards (fingers of the hand) have a very similar formation: two court cards, a three card, a ten card. It’s not exactly mirrored as I couldn’t fit the suits in the pattern. But I find it interesting that 3 and 10 are the only numbers present in the spread, with so many court cards around… And 3 is my favorite number, by the way, for no reason specifically, I always loved this number.

Well, let’s get to each hand.

left spread.jpg

RECEIVING HAND

FINGERS: Things to be thankful for

3 OF CUPS
I’m pretty sure this card is about my friends and the people that support and care for me, or even my community (professional team and even family). It’s also about people in general and getting social energy. I love people, I’m amazed at them, but nowadays I’m more drawn to myself and figuring out myself and maybe I’m not recognizing the value of people in my life, I know there are a lot of people who treasure me somehow and will help me and be there for me if I need, so I think I should be grateful to them, despite my lack of sensibility to notice that sometimes. But I guess it’s what matters, knowing there are people who will always be there for you, even though you don’t talk for months or years.

KNIGHT OF SWORDS
This card really made me feel about myself, about some quality of me portrayed by this card. I think the imagery itself made me connect to it, I haven’t really payed proper attention to this card before, I guess… I think it represents my rational side, where I tend to analyze information very well and quickly, being very objective and logical. Sometimes it makes me overthink too much or being a little insensitive, but it’s a quality I’m really grateful for, because it also make me be reasonable and versatile to adapt to new situations and problems on the way.

QUEEN OF PENTACLES
As cliche as it is, this card reminds me of my mother. During my childhood, she was very grounded and firm, taught me a lot of things and really shaped me well for the world, I’m really grateful for the opportunity for being raised by her during my youth. She was always supportive, but always ready to teach me a new lesson or skill, because she saw my potential and really loved to share with me all knowledge or tools the world around could offer. I’m also grateful for the fact that she never pushed me to do anything I didn’t want to, even though she was a very pragmatic and long-thinking person. But nowadays she is a much more good vibes version of herself, which reminds me of the woman portrayed in the card. She is meditating and being in harmony with the world around her, which is exactly the kind of person my mother is today. She has a bright energy that calm down and make things easier, because she feels at peace with herself, which is something I aim for as well.

TEN OF WANDS
This was the most difficult card from the hand for me to read. I think it represent the struggles and difficulties I faced during my journey and will eventually face in the future. It teaches that things aren’t handled to you by your desire itself, you have to fight and go out of comfort to get things you want. So, instead of getting upset and complain about every obstacle in a way, why don’t embrace it as a new opportunity of growth and experience and a new step towards your goals? Be grateful to every struggle, because they will shape your way.

THUMB: Something to keep in mind about receiving and gratitude

HERMIT
The vibe I get from this card is that I’ll have to go through deep introspection to really figure it out everything I should be grateful for. I must know myself and my journey to really map out all the influences acting towards my trajectory. It also felt like I should be grateful for the knowledge and guidance I received and for the people who guided and teach me stuff everywhere and every day. After all, I’m being guided and guide people all the time in everyday life, as we help each other. Maybe what this card meant is something I also thought some time ago: I can use tarot to improve other people lifes by promoting them to reflect on things. So I feel really glad when I have the opportunity to read for my partner, friends and even my mom, because I can somehow help them and guide them to a better path that they will build themselves. And that’s something I’m grateful for as well.

right spread.jpg

GIVING HAND

FINGERS: Things I have to give

QUEEN OF CUPS
I love this card, it’s so peaceful and comforting. This card represents being compassionate about others and caring about them. It’s all about accepting other and embracing their feelings and pain as your own, so you can help and cure them. I assume it’s something I’m failing to do overall and feel no proud of that, so it’s a sign that I have to work on that. It’s already a goal of mine.. To be like the Queen of Cups. She also represents the intuitive side, being in connection with your unconscious and guided by heart and intuition, which is path I’m trying to start follow. So why not start as soon as possible? I have to give love to others, which is something I already want to do, so what is pushing me back? I have to deal with it.

KING OF SWORDS
I have a strong feeling that this card is supposed to be the Knight of Swords, which is a quality of mine that I’m grateful for, applied in the benefits of others. In other words, it clearly says to me that, if I’m proud of my rational side, I must use it to improve the life of other people. As a lawyer, I can relate to that, because I have the opportunity to defend people’s right and help them achieve something that they deserve. So I can see how this card is telling me to embrace my work with that perspective in mind, which was something I had already been noticing during this first months of career.

10 OF PENTACLES
This card was very tricky to read, because I think it’s not related to something I should give to other people, but maybe it’s something I should give myself or the universe (?). Which is: time. I’m very quick minded and also move fast, so I want things to happen quickly. In this way, I want to follow all my ideas and plans at the same time and end up accomplishing nothing. I think this card is a remind that if I want success (money-wise or any way I picture it), I have to be patience and plan myself, being strict to some routine. I won’t accomplish anything by being too much carefree about where I spend my energy and resources. I have to focus on what is important and stand for the long-term plans. In other words, I should give up my anxiousness about my goals and my impulsiveness so that I can focus on what will really bring me results.

3 OF WANDS
This card has a opposite feeling from the previous one, because it’s all about being visionary and embracing creativity and adventure. It’s a calling to exploring what is new, what is unknown, always looking for greater possibilites. This is another trait I have myself, so that’s why apllying the 10 of Pentacles to my life is such a challenge for me. But I feel that this card is telling me that I will eventually use this side of me to help others and maybe the world, or even myself. For now, I’ll have to make all this creativity and adventure spirit go through the “10 of Pentacles” filter, but it doesn’t mean it won’t be used anymore. It’s an important trait of who I am, so I’m sure it will be put to good use in the future, in the right moment.

THUMB: Something to keep in mind about giving and generosity

DEVIL
This card hits hard on me, because it represents the way I feel right now about the generosity topic. As stated before, I’m on a more introspective phase of my life (like the Hermit, I guess), so I’m “too busy dealing with my stuff to deal with other people stuff”, which is something I’m not happy with. Even though I feel guilty about it, I didn’t feel energized enough to do something about it. But I’m improving in the discovery of myself and I’m pretty sure I’ll get back to my “giving side” again, because it’s something I always treasured and tried to portray in my actions. This card is just a reminder of the status quo right now, but through this reading I could feel more and more inspired to shake things up as soon as possible, because I think I’m ready to take another step. I can’t focus too much on myself for too long and I don’t even need to anymore, I should give myself to the world again.

Well, that’s pretty much my thoughts on each card. I felt really touched by the spread and it really resonated to intuition. It’s a bit too long, but I think I could present my reading sincerely and genuinely.

If anyone has any comment to do about my reading, any suggestion about something I should pay attention to or anything that you feel you should share with me, I will be glad to hear out, because I’m kinda new to doing reads like this, so anything I can use to improve my skills would be a great help.

Oh, and if anyone has any “numerology tip” about the pattern in my spread or any thought about that, I would love some clarification as well.

I would like to thanks Rachelcat for coming up with this amazing spread that gave me a good reflection about the topics of Thanksgiving. I'll definitely use it again in the future!
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

What a beautiful reading. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Hi, all! I'm bumping up this spread for Thanksgiving 2021. Enjoy! Reply here with your reading if you like. (Mine will go in my deck of the week thread I think. And I could link it here!)

Have a very happy Thanksgiving and giving season ahead!
Please join us in This Week's Deck!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Return to “Cards and Spreads”