This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

The One That Got Away!

Discussions about individual cards, their symbolism & meanings. How the cards combine and speak to us in spreads is another thing altogether! Here we learn about both.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

The One That Got Away!

Post by Joan Marie »

There are some decks that have been around for a long time and continue to be available. These have usually been picked up by big publishers who are able to keep these decks going for years.

But then there are the ones that are around, people talk about them and then you finally decide to look into it only to find that "POOF" they are gone. Sold out. Out of Print. Nowhere to be found. The creator has moved on. No re-print on the horizon.

Maybe you get lucky and can find a used one for a reasonable price. Or maybe you see the object of your desire going for some astronomical price that is out of reach, and even if you could afford it, common sense won't allow it.

So you are out! 😢

What are the decks you missed out on?
What are the ones you got in on before they disappeared?
What ones did you miss out on and then by luck, have a second chance at?
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Re: The One That Got Away!

Post by Joan Marie »

One deck I got in on, and I have no idea how I came across it, was the Spolia Tarot by Jessa Crispin.

I see people all the time searching for this deck. There were 2 editions, both no longer available.

And it looks doubtful the creator will be doing any re-prints. She is also an accomplished writer on subjects outside of tarot and she seems to be putting her focus into that these days. ( here's a recent article from her in The Guardian)

So the magnificent deck she created is one for the ages now.

I use it when I am having certain kinds of crises, usually involving creative direction, making difficult changes or adjustments. Choosing new paths. Walking away from things.
It's colourful, intense, and direct. And the booklet she wrote is extraordinary. It's sad this insightful voice of tarot has moved on, but lucky it was ever there at all.

The Spolia Tarot
The Spolia Tarot
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Mokona
Seer

Post by Mokona »

I have her book, The Creative Tarot: A Modern Guide to an Inspired Life, and it's an excellent resource on how to use tarot for creative direction and inspiration. And even planning. The book has photographs of some cards from her Spolia deck. I've admired them. Fortunately for me I don't hanker after the deck.
JudyK
Sybil

Post by JudyK »

My almost OTGA was the Tarot of the Origins by Sergio Toppi (Lo Scarabeo). It only came out in 2002 but by the time I knew of its existence it was already OOP and selling for crazy-money. I stalked eBay for a couple of years before one came up at a just barely manageable price. Turned out I internet-knew the person selling it, which made it even more special.

Naturally, 18 months later Lo Scarabeo reissued the deck as the Primordial Tarot. Borderless, mind you, and I fell in love with it all over again. Pre-ordered a copy the moment it was available!

I fear I may have a permanent OTGA now, though. The full-deck Tarocchi di Connessione by Vocisconnesse (Jessica Angiulli). It was a limited edition, and her Etsy shop is "taking a short break" (as of July), so at this point I have no idea if it will ever be made available again.
"Read the damn cards" - Camelia Elias
Thelder
Sybil

Post by Thelder »

JudyK wrote: 27 Aug 2021, 19:19 I fear I may have a permanent OTGA now, though. The full-deck Tarocchi di Connessione by Vocisconnesse (Jessica Angiulli). It was a limited edition, and her Etsy shop is "taking a short break" (as of July), so at this point I have no idea if it will ever be made available again.
I don't know if it is the exact edition that you are looking for, but there is an online store in Seattle, WA (USA) that appears to have some full-deck editions for sale. I have never purchased from this store, so I know nothing about their shipping costs, quality, or reliability. Their “All sales...are final” policy and their “International shipments are at your own risk! We cannot be responsible for lost or stolen packages, or packages tampered with and/or damaged by customs” policy gives me some cause for concern. I am providing the link to their web page, just in case they become the only source. I would definitely reach out to the deck's creator through her Etsy store first, before taking a chance on an untested source, especially if international shipping is involved.

https://ghostgalleryshop.com/tarot-book ... tarot-deck
JudyK
Sybil

Post by JudyK »

Thank you so much, @Thelder!

I used to live in Seattle, and I still have family in Vancouver WA, so if it comes to the crunch I can always get it sent to them and get them to send it on to me, making a birthday gift of the (not insubstantial) postage. Done it before. 😄
"Read the damn cards" - Camelia Elias

Return to “Cards and Spreads”