This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Atypical Reading

Discussions about individual cards, their symbolism & meanings. How the cards combine and speak to us in spreads is another thing altogether! Here we learn about both.
Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Atypical Reading

Post by Joan Marie »

I was just watching the TV series "Atypical" and there was a scene with a Tarot reading.
These are the cards that were drawn:
The first draw
The first draw
the second draw
the second draw

Does anyone know what deck this is?
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
fire cat pickles
Sage

Re: Atypical Reading

Post by fire cat pickles »

This is the Wild Unknown Tarot:

Joan Marie
Forum Designer
Sage

Post by Joan Marie »

I wonder if the artist, Kim Krans, knows her deck was used?
I also wonder if they have to pay a royalty to use it?

A lot of times on tv or in movies when they use tarot they go with RWS or some other royalty free deck or in some cases they just mock up a whole new "imaginary" deck for the show.

BTW- "Atypical" is a really great show, it would be an honour to have one's deck featured like that. But wouldn't it suck to have someone use your deck, without permission on some awful show or film? I dunno. Maybe, maybe not.

I knew that was a known deck, I just couldn't place it. It was kind of exciting to see a contemporary deck used like that.
Button Soup Tarot, Star & Crown Oracle available @: Rabbit's Moon Tarot 💚
Thelder
Sybil

Post by Thelder »

Yes, it is always exciting to see tarots being used in movies or television. My favorite K-drama "Lucifer" (nothing to do with the American TV show) from 2007 revolves entirely around Stella's Tarot.

I hope to post something in the "Books, Art, and Film" thread in the near future for the fans of Stella's Tarot who may be unaware of this show. I am waiting until I reactivate my VPN service, as all 20 episodes are available on Youtube, but only when accessed from certain countries. Anyone living outside those countries would need to use a VPN service to sign onto Youtube from one of the approved servers. I want to obtain a brief list of approved servers to include in my post.

The last time I checked, Germany was one of the countries that still had access to the episodes. If you go on Youtube and type in "Lucifer KBS World TV," you should see 20 separate episodes listed under the name "Lucifer," followed by the Korean name, then EP 1, EP2, and so one. These are official postings by KBS World TV and come with excellent English subtitles. I feel obligated to warn you that Episode 1 gets off to a bit of a weak start, but the series gets better very quickly. Throughout the series, various cards from Stella's Tarot are delivered to the police and to the victims (as a warning), prior to a murder taking place. The detective and the actress who plays the deck creator also have various discussions throughout the series about the meanings of the various cards that are being sent to the victims and the police.

Return to “Cards and Spreads”