This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Librarian's Memories Spread

Discussions about individual cards, their symbolism & meanings. How the cards combine and speak to us in spreads is another thing altogether! Here we learn about both.
Nemia
Sage

Librarian's Memories Spread

Post by Nemia »

Some years ago, I heard a lecture about digital retrieval of archival materials. Sounds pretty dry, but it was quite interesting. Especially when my mind began to wander... to tarot! the four steps the lecturer recommended were:

1. Selection of material

2. Harvest

3. Preservation

4. Access

Now look at the four card spread we can make from this. Instead of archival material, let's talk about memories. When all of a sudden in the middle of the day, an inner image or voice of feeling comes up - the splintered memory of a past event. You know it's meaningful - but why and how?

1. Selection of memory

What is this memory? What do I remember?

2. Harvest in context

Why is this memory important, to what context does it belong? Why did it come up now?

3. Preservation

What can I do to make the memory meaningful, how can I preserve it?

4. Access

How can I share the memory with others? Are there lessons, affirmations, actions necessary? How can I continue to work with it?

I did a reading about a past event using four cards for the four steps mentioned in the lecture, and it worked for me.
Ciderwell
Sage

Re: Librarian's Memories Spread

Post by Ciderwell »

What a great idea. Though it didn't work for me; if anything, it created more of a mental block to the question at hand.
I wanted to know why I remain totally indifferent to the death of both my parents this Christmas/New Year time. The phone calls I received were abrupt and oddly vague to say the least, and I can't shake the feeling of this awful news being hooey. Not able to mourn one's parents is not normal behaviour - to my mind - and rather worrying.

I suspect a memory will emerge if given enough thought to the four cards drawn.
Nemia
Sage

Post by Nemia »

Oh that sounds very sad. My best wishes for you, for the sadness and the lack of it.
Ciderwell
Sage

Post by Ciderwell »

Sad! Meh, I guess!
My parents were the last to send me Christmas cards, and Birthday cards (in January).
Having moved abroad and remarried there had been times my mother would tell me how wealthy she'd become. The last few years I would get a Christmas card that was bulging and the thought of her gone senile and sending me wads of money would go through my mind. Only to find a pop-up penguin singing, "Have a merry merry xmas...". And I'd fall for it every year. Yeah, I guess I'll miss those funny cards.
My dad, on the other hand, had been ill for many years.

Return to “Cards and Spreads”