This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Rachel’s DoW 10 Triple Deck

Rachelcat
Sage

Rachel’s DoW 10 Triple Deck

Post by Rachelcat »

Sunday

It all started with elemental dignities. Then I wanted to do a chakra reading with elemental dignities, which would require 3 cards for each of the 7 chakras, a 21-card spread. Applying my 15% rule, that means I should deal such a large spread from a deck of 140 or more cards. (21 is 15% of 140.) 2 tarot decks shuffled together are 156 cards, so that would work. But 3 is a much more magical number. Thus, I created a 234-card deck to use with my largest spreads. Lo Scarabeo decks are of uniform size: their regular-sized decks, minis, and Grand Trumps. Which makes it easy to shuffle decks together.

So this is my Triple Deck: Lo Scarabeo Tarot of Marseille, Universal Tarot, and Fairy Tarot minis shuffled together. I chose them to represent 3 general tarot types: historic-ish, esoteric (RWS clone), and contemporary/fantasy/artistic. (I also shuffled together the Grand Trumps (majors) for these same 3. I call it GT3.)

Now, how does one shuffle and deal from a 234-card deck? I usually shuffle in 3 stacks and then cut them together. But this week I’m going to try the bowl method. I’m going to put all the cards in my very 70s brown, very well-used and abused casserole bowl, trying to keep them face down, and stir and draw from there. And agree with myself ahead of time that I’m not using reversals. The backs are different, so I’ll have to close my eyes when I draw. I’ve never tried the bowl before. Let’s see what happens! (And on Saturday, I’ll try the chakras with elemental dignities for my new moon in Pisces reading.)

Sunday1.jpg

Sunday2.jpg

Whew, that was way too much intro! So on to the interview!

Sunday3.jpg

Hmm, I see from the backs that all the cards are Fairy except one Universal! I wonder what that means?

Deck’s most important characteristic: 9 Leaves. Did I mention the Fairy Tarot is German-suited? Leaves are spades/swords/air.
Being made up of different decks gives it an even better ability to tell it like it is. It will tell you the truth even if it kills you. It’s like riding a moth. It might be scary, but it gets you where you want to go.

Deck’s strength: 10 Acorns (acorns are clubs/wands/fire)
The deck is full of energy. Lots of different energies, actually. It takes issues on head to head.

Deck’s weakness: 7 Leaves
It might be a bit too playful at times. It says serious things, but sometimes not in a serious way.

What can the deck teach me? II. The High Priestess
Wow, this is a big card for this position. The deck can teach me to use my intuition. Because it has three different versions of every card, I will have to trust myself to read the pictures and do whatever else I need to do to differentiate between them.

How can I best learn it? 4 Chalices
Stay within myself and my own intuition and feelings. Take outside assistance only with a grain of salt.

Outcome of our work together: V. The Hierophant
Another big card. Again, the deck will help me learn the nuances and differences between the different kinds of decks it includes. His books are the key, so kind of the opposite of the Priestess. The meaning is in the learning. The Priestess’s book on the other hand has an ankh. Her learning is by living life. His learning is book-learning.

Frog vs. cat. A frog lives in water, emotions. A cat is mysterious but also detached. And what you learn in books is not directly related to your own feelings, but can be tied to them after the fact.

Well, that was fun and interesting. I think I’m going to have to use some larger spreads this week so I can put the large deck to the test, and so I can get more variety of cards in each reading.

Have a great week ahead! See you tomorrow!
Please join us in This Week's Deck!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Rachelcat
Sage

Re: Rachel’s DoW 10 Triple Deck

Post by Rachelcat »

Monday
The perennial question: What will happen when we go back to the office? Shortened Celtic cross.

Monday.jpg

5 courts plus 2 majors. Of 7 cards, we have all 4 knaves/pages (from 2 different decks).
I think that means that no one really knows how it will work. We’ll all be beginners together!

Me: VII. The Chariot
I’ll be ready for the change whenever it comes. And I’ll be ready for things to be different in the future. I’ll even advocate for things to be done differently.

Cover: Knave of Swords
In an atmosphere of people trying to figure out how it should be going forward. I work for a law firm, and this really makes me think of intelligent, word-based people trying to make a plan with little information to go on.

Cross: Knave of Bells (diamonds/coins/pentacles)
There will be a vocal minority view of “we should do what we’ve always done in the past.” And an understandable concern about costs and money if we change. That will block the forward march of the Chariot. But again, with little evidence to go on either way.

Crown: XX. Judgement
I will want a big change, a sea change, in the way our work is done. This situation can be used as a wakeup call to fix things that weren’t working well before. And go on to something really different and really better.

Beneath: Knight of Chalices
I’ve been with the firm for 22 years. I’m emotionally attached, and I’m not going to bail if things don’t turn out my way. I’m also emotionally attached to the stability of a good job with a financially secure firm. I know I’ll just keep on going in whatever direction the firm decides.

Behind: Knave of Chalices
We’ll be leaving behind uncertainty and worries about health and the future of the firm.

Before: Knave of Acorns
We’ll be going forward with the plans, right or not. Everyone, of most everyone, will be on board to put the plans into action, and see where that takes us.

Well, that was different than I expected, but it all make sense! Have a wonderful Monday!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Tuesday
What if I retired to another country? I recently thought about it, but I probably don’t want to go far away or be away from family. . . . Elemental star for this one.

Tuesday.jpg

Well, this looks like a big no. Maybe the cards are saying don’t even waste your time thinking about this. It’s not going to happen.

Physically: 10 Swords
It would be overwhelming for me to try to pack up and move out of the country. Just the planning to get myself there physically would be a nightmare. It would be very bad on a financial planning front, too.

Emotionally: Knight of Swords
I might let my INTJ rational, planning self run over my Cancer sun emotional self, trying to enforce that it’s sensible and I don’t care about being so far from home. Which just isn’t true.

Intellectually: XVI. Tower
I would be at a complete loss if I lived somewhere where they don’t speak English. Just having English language books and internet wouldn’t be enough for me to get by.

Energetically: XII. The Hanged Man
If I tried this, I’d feel hung up the whole time. Never really at home, like I was only waiting to go back home. Which is not a good place to be.

Spiritually: 3 Hearts (cups)
It could be an opportunity to develop some compassion and fellow feeling with people I don’t know much about now. It would be an eye opening experience spiritually. But, with all these other cards, I think I can do that in a way that’s also better for me . . .

I must say I like drawing cards from a bowl. No stress on whether I’ve shuffled enough . . .

Have a happy Tuesday!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Wednesday
The religion question again. I think I have it answered, that I’ll just do what I’m doing and try to be a decent person, etc. Then I read scriptures that say “you’ve only got one chance at this. And you might get hit by a bus tomorrow, so go all in now!” And then I get anxious and wonder if I’m doing right at all by staying status quo . . . Yes, I’m afraid of commitment, but one shouldn’t commit to something they’re not sure about. Kind of like marriage. I won’t make that mistake again!

So I guess the question is for advice. What should I be doing on the religion front? Appropriately (or not), the Four Noble Truths spread is a very advice-y one, so that’s what I’ll use.

Wednesday1.jpg

Issue: IV. Emperor
The issue is who or what do I take as an authority? It’s not the Hierophant, it’s the Emperor. But what’s confusing me or holding me back is do I put my trust in a temporal authority (teacher, sangha, study group, etc.) for a spiritual purpose. I mean, I can’t really do it all alone, but who do you trust?

Cause: 10 Acorns
Why I don’t know, can’t figure it out is because there is so much suffering in the world, how can I not feel overwhelmed by it? Those same scriptures explain all that, but I don’t have the confidence in myself or the path to really trust that I can really help all beings, not matter what I do!

Possible outcome: 10 Pentacles
Wow, and the answer is, yes I can. Note that this isn’t 10 Cups, but 10 Coins. So it’s completely possible that I can make a real difference, for myself and for others. So maybe the question is confidence, after all?

Advice: King of Wands
I can be successful by being a mini-Emperor. Once I know what to do, I can do it, and achieve. My keywords for this guy are “hard-charging” and “traditional.” They are both appropriate advice for how to approach a religious way of life, yes, traditional, following the path set out, but with lots of energy and forward momentum.

Wednesday2.jpg

How to put advice into effect: XIII. Death, 5 Chalices, 4 Bells
This says I should pay attention to those scriptures and think about and meditate on the uncertainty of the time of death, the certainty of death itself, and the universality of suffering and grasping. I can be successful and in charge of my own life by keeping these basic facts in mind.

Well, none of this is what I was expecting. And it’s a little scary. But I’m going to be thinking about it and working on it this week.

Have a very happy day. See you tomorrow!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Thursday better late than never
Should I make an extra effort to find a workout class and do it (video class, written instructions, etc.)?
Or just wait until we’re back in the office, and the office fitness center?
Three cards for each option.

Thursday.jpg

Do it soon: 5 Cups, Ace of Bells, 10 Bells
The motto on the ace is “Discipulus est prioris posterior dies,” the day after is the student of the day before.
I miss my classmates, but if I started now, I would be more ready to join the group when the time comes.

Wait: VII. Chariot, 3 Pentacles, Fool
Even though I put these under “wait,” they’re saying something else! I should go forward and do some actual work. Then when the time comes, I’ll be ready to try something I haven’t done before.

Same answer, different cards! Lots of coins, though. And a bunny! Well, I guess it’s on to Google out some workouts!

Have a very happy Thursday evening!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Friday
What do I need to know about meditation? Shortened Celtic cross

Friday.jpg

Me: Knave of Leaves
I’m a beginning student who wants to learn everything academically. So true.

Cover: XI. Strength
Meditation is not for sissies. And it’s not just for learning something interesting.

Cross: 4 Chalices
I’m closed emotionally. It would be difficult for me to open up as much as needed for meditation to work or for learning properly.

Crown: 2 Cups
What do I want from meditation? Equanimity, emotional balance. I want benefits for myself and for others.

Beneath: XV. Devil
What I already know or have figured out about it. I’ve figured out that the most important part is the moral component. Your mind can’t be at peace if you’re causing people or yourself suffering. But also, it always goes deeper. Once you conquer some impediment, there’s always another, more subtle one. Also, I now know just how messed up people are, deluded and plain bad or evil. Maybe I need to revise my estimation of the human character, and go at this on a simpler level.

Behind: Fool
In the past, I went into it like I was ready for a spiritual journey, but I wasn’t, not really. I’m closer now, but I guess everyone has their blind spots.

Before: Knave of Swords
First time this week I’ve gotten the two of the same card in one reading! In the future, I’ll go into it as a beginner again, but I’ll have more book-learning about it and won’t go into it completely open, like the Fool. So the current me is also the future me! I will carry my questions and concerns with me into the future. And maybe try to get some answers.

Interesting reading for sure. Lots to think about, and learn.

Have a very happy Friday and great weekend ahead!

Rachelcat
Sage

Post by Rachelcat »

Saturday
New moon in Pisces, Sage Moon
Chakra reading with elemental dignities

Saturday.jpg

Saturday1.jpg

Root: 4 Bells (earth) modified by 5 Coins (earth) and Knight of Acorns (fire+air), strong
The little bit of air from the knight rank puts the 4 Bells right on the line between strong and only slightly strong. But strong it is.
My physical needs are covered, and I’m holding on to resources that might better be used to help others who are in more need (5 Coins). Time to take action on that (Knight of Acorns)!

Saturday2.jpg

Sacral: 4 Wands modified by Tower and Temperance (all fire), very strong
This is another 4, and extra very strong not only because are all are same element, but also because both modifiers are majors. Kind of opposites in meaning, but the same element. (Temperance is fire not water because I’m using GD attributions, which for Temperance is Sagittarius, a fire sign.)
My greatest pleasure would be a family or group celebration, performance or ritual, but there is still danger (Tower) in that. Stay strong and emotionally balanced until the danger is truly washed away (Temperance).

Saturday3.jpg

Solar: 5 Wands (fire) modified by Knave of Chalices (water+earth) and III Wands (fire), normal
The water and fire of the modifiers cancel each other out, giving the 5 Wands “normal” strength, neither strengthened or weakened. The little bit of earth of the knave rank is a tiny bit weakening, but not noticeably.
My energy level is high, if a bit (or more than a bit) chaotic. I would do better to focus that energy toward making changes (3 Wands) instead of letting it affect me emotionally (Knave of Chalices).

Saturday4.jpg

Heart: Knight of Leaves (air+air) modified by 7 Cups (water) and Fool (air), strong
A dose of water keeps all the air from bumping the Knight of Leaves up into “very strong.”
I am passionate about and relate to other people by teaching and learning. And organizing and presenting ideas. I’m a Knight of Leaves at heart. (I like the wily expression of the clever fox, and of the knight, too!) And it’s a strange life when that is combined with my Cancer sun overly emotional self (7 Cups), and a Foolish tendency to go off the deep end sometimes . . .

Saturday5.jpg

Throat: Knave of Swords (air+earth) modified by Empress (earth) and Queen of Wands (fire+water), weak
The only weakened card in this reading. Air opposes earth, and fire and a tiny bit of water can’t do much to help it.
Even though I relate to people through ideas, I’m not very good at communicating that? I probably come off as more pedantic and less as the student I really am. Maybe because I seem like a strong (or at least wise with age) woman (Empress and Queen), instead of the little kid I feel like sometimes.

Saturday6.jpg

Third eye: 6 Hearts (water) modified by VIII Swords (air) and World (earth), normal
Air and earth cancel each other out, leaving the 6 Hearts at normal strength.
True insight comes with happiness and love, not overthinking (8 Swords), or even a higher perspective (World). Detachment isn’t the road to wisdom for me.

Saturday7.jpg

Crown: Judgement (fire) modified by Queen of Swords (air+water) and Hermit (earth), normal
Air and earth cancel each other out again here, and the tiny bit of water from the queen rank can’t put out much of the fire of Judgment.
Even at normal strength, Judgment in the spiritual position is powerful. It seems like some at least provisional answers to my spiritual questions might be coming soon. And will lead to a breakthrough of sorts so I can rise to a higher level. This is only encouraged by the Hermit, who is also striving for spiritual gains. The Queen says it’s better to be more a balanced, in control swordsy person, rather than the page and knight I’ve been showing up as these days.

Well, that was fun! I enjoyed going deep into elemental dignities, and the readings seemed to flow.

I hope you enjoyed it too, and the view of the Triple Deck this week.

I’ll see you on Monday for the Sacred Days of the Vernal Equinox! (And join us there if you’d like!)

Return to “Week 10 - My Deck of the Week”