This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

What digital decks do you own?

Informal discussions of individual Tarot Decks.
Forum rules
This is the forum for discussions about and to show individual decks. Full reviews and "Unboxing" videos should go into the Reviews forum.

Please note that Historical Decks have their own separate forum and those discussions are best placed there.
archimedes
Sage

What digital decks do you own?

Post by archimedes »

I've bought three from Fool's Dog - the Gaian, So Below, and today treated myself to the Hidden Realm. I think I'll get the Robin Wood next. I hope these apps will be maintained going forward - I just love them. I'd been a bit iffy about the idea but wanted to enjoy the Gaian's wisdom without waiting anxiously to see if it'd survive our postal system. I think I can safely say I'm a convert. I also read an article about the apps' creators and they seem really lovely and authentic.

Have you tried any other oracle/deck app makers?
This is just my opinion. Your mileage may vary. My statement of my belief is not a criticism of your belief.
TheLoracular
Sage

Re: What digital decks do you own?

Post by TheLoracular »

archimedes wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 04:01 I've bought three from Fool's Dog - the Gaian, So Below, and today treated myself to the Hidden Realm. I think I'll get the Robin Wood next. I hope these apps will be maintained going forward - I just love them. I'd been a bit iffy about the idea but wanted to enjoy the Gaian's wisdom without waiting anxiously to see if it'd survive our postal system. I think I can safely say I'm a convert. I also read an article about the apps' creators and they seem really lovely and authentic.

Have you tried any other oracle/deck app makers?
I have played with the free sampler from Fool's Dog and if I was more of a phone person or used my tablet for more than listening to audiobooks or watching YouTube in bed, I could get into it. I'm more likely to use my scanner and make digital decks of things I own than buy them digitally but Digital Dog produces really quality stuff and I'm trying to decide if I want to convert about half my decks to Digital files and find the paper copies new homes. That feels like a LOT of work and kind of risky in case something did ever happen to my Cloud or I did something stupid with files and deleted something on accident like I'm known to do.

If I was starting a collection ~now~ and didn't have about 50 decks (not counting doubles of the same deck like I do with Hanson-Roberts, Thoth, Haindl, Pride, a few others)... I might seriously consider Fool's Dog but there's just something so satisfying about a good shuffle as I'm thinking about the question, even if I'm going to be posting pictures and typing out words vs. talking to whoever I'm doing the reading for.
Tarot is a great and sacred arcanum- its abuse is an obscenity in the inner and a folly in the outer. It is intended for quite other purposes than to determine when the tall dark man will meet the fair rich widow.”
― Jack Parsons
archimedes
Sage

Post by archimedes »

TheLoracular wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 04:45 I'm trying to decide if I want to convert about half my decks to Digital files and find the paper copies new homes. That feels like a LOT of work and kind of risky in case something did ever happen to my Cloud or I did something stupid with files and deleted something on accident like I'm known to do.

If I was starting a collection ~now~ and didn't have about 50 decks ... I might seriously consider Fool's Dog but there's just something so satisfying about a good shuffle
Converting to digital files is a great idea - but a LOT of work. I could imagine maybe doing that with hard-to-find decks, or if I were retired and had time on my hands (I wish). I'd also keep the paper copy, as I'd be concerned that 'converting' to digital and moving the original on would amount to breach of copyright. I think having a digital copy for reference while keeping the paper copy would be okay.

You're right - there is something satisfying about a shuffle and handling physical cards. Digital would never entirely replace physical for me - same as with books - but it forms a great extension to my library.
This is just my opinion. Your mileage may vary. My statement of my belief is not a criticism of your belief.
Rose Lalonde
Sage

Post by Rose Lalonde »

I have Fool's Dogs' Tabula Mundi Tarot and Rosetta Tarot.

I usually read with physical decks, but it's handy and cheap to have M.M. Meleen's entire books for the above on my phone. (Not looking up meanings, more about related mythology, astrology, hermetic Qabalah, etc. Well written.)

Fool's Dog does a good job at a decent price. Long may they continue, as you said.
"One mounteth unto the Crown by the moon and by the Sun, and by the arrow, and by the Foundation, and by the dark home of the stars from the black earth." LXV
Mokona
Seer

Post by Mokona »

I have the Fool's Dog app of Boadicea's Tarot of Earthly Delights, because a physical deck is not available yet.
I have the physical deck, Czech version of Shadowscapes because of its bigger cards, and the guidebook is in Czech too. I bought the Shadowscapes app on Fool's Dog to have access to the English guidebook.
I also have an app for an oracle deck, called the Fairy Tales Oracle, which I think is out of print in its physical version.
I really love my physical decks the way I love my physical books, but I also really appreciate the apps for making decks accessible to me which I wouldn't be able to find otherwise. My phone would run out of space if I tried to download too many and I'm not sure how to back up the apps elsewhere, but also I will always want the physical deck even when I have the app. So I look at acquiring decks rather than their apps, because I know myself–I'll get the app and still hanker after the physical deck. It's the way I have a kindle and still hanker after physical books.
archimedes
Sage

Post by archimedes »

Mokona wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 10:14 My phone would run out of space if I tried to download too many and I'm not sure how to back up the apps elsewhere, but also I will always want the physical deck even when I have the app. So I look at acquiring decks rather than their apps, because I know myself–I'll get the app and still hanker after the physical deck. It's the way I have a kindle and still hanker after physical books.
YOu can re-download the app if you get a new phone or uninstall one for a while to make room for another. It stays in your library in Google Play or iPhone. You'd lose your journal record, but I find this a bit glitchy anyway, so don't rely on it. Just make sure you don't lose your iphone or Google play account details and login information.

I had a very basic phone for a long time but recently invested a little more than I normally would for one with more memory, and it's so great being able to run applications.

There's certainly nothing like a physical deck, for sure. But there's a lot to love about the digital too. I wish there were more!

Return to “Tarot Decks Discussions”