This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

Cardcaptor Clow Tarot Cards

Informal discussions of individual Tarot Decks.
Forum rules
This is the forum for discussions about and to show individual decks. Full reviews and "Unboxing" videos should go into the Reviews forum.

Please note that Historical Decks have their own separate forum and those discussions are best placed there.
supersentai
Seeker

Cardcaptor Clow Tarot Cards

Post by supersentai »

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/261842165806163525/

Combo of tarot and clow cards! I would die to get my hands on this deck if it exists!
fire cat pickles
Sage

Re: Cardcaptor Clow Tarot Cards

Post by fire cat pickles »

Hi, supersentai, welcome to the forum.

There is such a thing as Clow Cards but they have their own titles, not tarot:
clow_cards.jpg
Mokona
Seer

Post by Mokona »

Yes, what fire cat pickles said. And I've seen the Clow Cards being sold on Etsy and on Chinese online shopping sites. So they're definitely obtainable.
Here's one on Etsy with favourable reviews: link
And the same seller has a version in pink too.
supersentai
Seeker

Post by supersentai »

Yah, but the clow cards themselves can't be used for tarot readings, can they? Would prefer the cards to look like clow cards AND usable as usual tarot cards. I do have a few decks of clow and sakura cards though.
TheLoracular
Sage

Post by TheLoracular »

supersentai wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 11:52 Yah, but the clow cards themselves can't be used for tarot readings, can they? Would prefer the cards to look like clow cards AND usable as usual tarot cards. I do have a few decks of clow and sakura cards though.
Cartomancy is the English word for divination or fortune-telling using any kind of card, not just tarot. It is absolutely possible to use clow cards for divination, either by making up your own system for it or borrowing something already online. I have done neither personally.

However, here is a hopefully helpful link on how.
Tarot is a great and sacred arcanum- its abuse is an obscenity in the inner and a folly in the outer. It is intended for quite other purposes than to determine when the tall dark man will meet the fair rich widow.”
― Jack Parsons
JudyK
Sybil

Post by JudyK »

I have this redrawn version made by "Daniel", available from Printer's Studio -

Clow Cards - Daniel (Printer's Studio).jpg

And I use these "meanings" to read it 🙂 -
https://cupdf.com/document/clow-card-fo ... mages.html

Edit: And now I spot Loracular's link to roughly the same document. 🙄😊.
"Read the damn cards" - Camelia Elias
Mokona
Seer

Post by Mokona »

supersentai wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 11:52 Yah, but the clow cards themselves can't be used for tarot readings, can they? Would prefer the cards to look like clow cards AND usable as usual tarot cards. I do have a few decks of clow and sakura cards though.
Why can't you use them like an oracle deck? There are card meaning/interpretation guides online. Here's a book with divination meanings for each Clow Card. And here is another guide. A simple google search would have shown you this.

Edit: I've even found a guide for D&D gameplay with the Clow Cards, how wonderful. There's plenty you could do with these cards if you wanted to.
supersentai
Seeker

Post by supersentai »

Mokona wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 06:09 Why can't you use them like an oracle deck? There are card meaning/interpretation guides online. Here's a book with divination meanings for each Clow Card. And here is another guide. A simple google search would have shown you this.

Edit: I've even found a guide for D&D gameplay with the Clow Cards, how wonderful. There's plenty you could do with these cards if you wanted to.
Probably because I'm more inclined to use a well-established and internationally recognised system of tarot cards, rather than Clow Cards which were designed for manga/anime purposes, with the divination meanings randomly thrown in as an afterthought. In addition, canonically speaking, there exists the 53rd Clow/Sakura card - The Nothing (clow card)/The Hope (sakura card), and a further 54th Sakura card - the nameless winged heart card, which no divination meaning has been assigned to them, but the cards exists in canon and in some card sets sold. This further complicates matter when trying to use Clow/Sakura cards as oracle cards, as these card are present/absent in some sets, and have no assigned meaning.
Mokona
Seer

Post by Mokona »

People who've tried to make tarot cards based on magical girls have gotten copyright striked off kickstarter before, so unless an official CS 78-card deck is released your only option might be making cards for your own personal use. There have been CS tarot decks before and they were merch, obviously. So they technically weren't designed for divination either, and even when they had tarot major titles the pictures didn't have much to do with tarot.
And most anime-based tarot decks actually made as merch tend to have non-scenic minors, anyway.

The interpretation guides are more so for inspiration anyway. I've no problems assigning my own meanings to oracles, but not everyone does, I get that.
supersentai wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 06:55
Probably because I'm more inclined to use a well-established and internationally recognised system of tarot cards, rather than Clow Cards which were designed for manga/anime purposes, with the divination meanings randomly thrown in as an afterthought. In addition, canonically speaking, there exists the 53rd Clow/Sakura card - The Nothing (clow card)/The Hope (sakura card), and a further 54th Sakura card - the nameless winged heart card, which no divination meaning has been assigned to them, but the cards exists in canon and in some card sets sold. This further complicates matter when trying to use Clow/Sakura cards as oracle cards, as these card are present/absent in some sets, and have no assigned meaning.

Return to “Tarot Decks Discussions”