This forum is officially closed. It will however remain online and active in a limited form for the time being.

RWS "Pam B", "Pam C"

Informal discussions of individual Tarot Decks.
Forum rules
This is the forum for discussions about and to show individual decks. Full reviews and "Unboxing" videos should go into the Reviews forum.

Please note that Historical Decks have their own separate forum and those discussions are best placed there.
Stan K. Beest
Seer

RWS "Pam B", "Pam C"

Post by Stan K. Beest »

A question for anyone and everyone out there:
It seems nearly all the versions/variations of the RWS Tarot that are currently available are based on the "Pam A" drawings (except for a very few based on "Pam D", which is quite similar though not as sharp). I would like to find one that is based on "Pam B" or "Pam C" though - does anybody know of such a deck (if one even exists)?

Thanks!
TheLoracular
Sage

Re: RWS "Pam B", "Pam C"

Post by TheLoracular »

Stan K. Beest wrote: 23 Mar 2021, 00:18 A question for anyone and everyone out there:
It seems nearly all the versions/variations of the RWS Tarot that are currently available are based on the "Pam A" drawings (except for a very few based on "Pam D", which is quite similar though not as sharp). I would like to find one that is based on "Pam B" or "Pam C" though - does anybody know of such a deck (if one even exists)?

Thanks!
Here is what I know about Pam B existing.

I've seen it in the past on Ebay. There are some collectors around who might have information about a specific copy of it for sale; the ones I have seen in the past were in the $500-$800 range from reputable sellers.
Tarot is a great and sacred arcanum- its abuse is an obscenity in the inner and a folly in the outer. It is intended for quite other purposes than to determine when the tall dark man will meet the fair rich widow.”
― Jack Parsons
Stan K. Beest
Seer

Post by Stan K. Beest »

OUCHIE!
That's too rich for my blood, even when I'm in a senseless buying frenzy.
Thanks for the info though - actually very helpful in its way.

In the meantime I did discover that there are in fact some current decks that use the Pam B as a basis, but they are largely considered inferior.
Kimber
Seer

Post by Kimber »

I'm obsessed with all things RWS, and have physical copies of decks A, B, C, and D. The D appears to be a copy of an A deck, which is why the quality is so poor. One differentiating factor between the A/D and B/C editions is the "oh shit" line on the Sun card. Dusty White has a page here with additional information: https://waitesmith.org/

Kimber
John_F_May
Seeker

Post by John_F_May »

Hi!

Despite its name, “Tarot Original 1909"
(distributed by Lo Scarabeo and Llewellyn)
is apparently based on the version known as Pam B (c. 1931~1940).

The back does not conform to the original, but honestly it doesn't look bad to me.

Here you can see a quick flip-through:
https://youtu.be/9WM4b1Dnrn8

ISBN-13: 9780738769578 - Llewellyn
ISBN-13: 9788865276945 - Lo Scarabeo

---
Tarot-Original-1909.jpg

Return to “Tarot Decks Discussions”